Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CoffeeDrive

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Denabu wrote:
Congratulations! Does that make you an official beta tester? :) Have a great week ahead!
Pretty much, getting paid to attempt to break the game and find the most ridiculous bugs possible, with the chance of being promoted in the future to something even better.
I did that for my Computer Science degrees industrial placement. Its fun as hell.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Kibaro wrote:
Denabu wrote:

Pretty much, getting paid to attempt to break the game and find the most ridiculous bugs possible, with the chance of being promoted in the future to something even better.
do you need to change residence or how does it work? anyway congrats on the awesome job:D
I currently live within distance, it's only a 30 minute drive for me. It's not a work-at-home kind of deal though, they couldn't risk letting the employees have the game at home as it could be leaked in some way before release.
~Once you pop, the feels don't stop~

Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Kibaro wrote:
do you need to change residence or how does it work? anyway congrats on the awesome job:D
Oh, and thanks for the congrats.

Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Very envious. Sounds like a really fun job.
Yet, here I am going to do some work experience in a hospital next Monday. Will probably see a few amputated people considering the kind of work experience it is.
Unfortunately, it's the hospital I was born in. Although I know a few great doctors there as well who worked on my sister and helped her a lot. Don't know how to feel about it.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Very envious. Sounds like a really fun job.
Yet, here I am going to do some work experience in a hospital next Monday. Will probably see a few amputated people considering the kind of work experience it is.
Unfortunately, it's the hospital I was born in. Although I know a few great doctors there as well who worked on my sister and helped her a lot. Don't know how to feel about it.
Is it a volunteer gig or are you being paid for it? I volunteered at my mom's hospital for a while when I was in high school, and I would spend half the time being a receptionist, but the rest of the time I spent just chatting up the patients and keeping them company. It was sad to see the terminally ill ones or the amputees, but it was great to put a smile on their faces despite their misfortune.

Edit: My mom doesn't own the hospital btw, she simply works there as a nurse in the OR. (Operating room)

Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Denabu wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:Very envious. Sounds like a really fun job.
Is it a volunteer gig or are you being paid for it? I volunteered at my mom's hospital for a while when I was in high school, and I would spend half the time being a receptionist, but the rest of the time I spent just chatting up the patients and keeping them company. It was sad to see the terminally ill ones or the amputees, but it was great to put a smile on their faces despite their misfortune.

Edit: My mom doesn't own the hospital btw, she simply works there as a nurse in the OR. (Operating room)
Volunteer. It's going to be less work related and more showing us what it means to be a doctor and what they do. Considering which part of the hospital I am going to, It probably means I will see a lot of neurologically and mentally disabled people.
It's hosted by Imperial college which is one of the finer colleges in London and the one I am aiming to go to. It's a fantastic opportunity and one that I will need to take full advantage of. It's also a phenomenally famous hospital.
I have had a lot happen in this hospital though. My sister has had 12 surgeries in this hospital and I was born in a very horrifying way. Not the worst experience I have had in a hospital but still pretty awful.
Suppose I should just take it as the opportunity it is.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Forever_ambivalent wrote: Volunteer. It's going to be less work related and more showing us what it means to be a doctor and what they do. Considering which part of the hospital I am going to, It probably means I will see a lot of neurologically and mentally disabled people.
It's hosted by Imperial college which is one of the finer colleges in London and the one I am aiming to go to. It's a fantastic opportunity and one that I will need to take full advantage of. It's also a phenomenally famous hospital.
I have had a lot happen in this hospital though. My sister has had 12 surgeries in this hospital and I was born in a very horrifying way. Not the worst experience I have had in a hospital but still pretty awful.
Suppose I should just take it as the opportunity it is.
Well I personally have never had any bad experiences in a hospital so I can't really relate, but I hope it works out for you. Try to have some fun with it if you can, you must be pursuing it as a career, so it'd be detrimental if it was strictly seriousness at all times.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Denabu wrote:It's a job as a QA Engineer at Redstorm Entertainment in North Carolina. Been trying to use this game design degree for something for 2 years and it finally panned out. I'm extremely excited and I start on Monday.
Redstorm? They work for Ubisoft, right? I think they're the main guys behind the Tom Clancy stuff. They also do some work on the Far Cry series so if 4 is bad, I know who to blame. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Potato wrote:
Denabu wrote:It's a job as a QA Engineer at Redstorm Entertainment in North Carolina. Been trying to use this game design degree for something for 2 years and it finally panned out. I'm extremely excited and I start on Monday.
Redstorm? They work for Ubisoft, right? I think they're the main guys behind the Tom Clancy stuff. They also do some work on the Far Cry series so if 4 is bad, I know who to blame. :P
Lol, I'm not sure what I'm gonna be testing yet, but I would imagine it'd be The Division or Rainbow Six: Siege

ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

Denabu wrote:
Potato wrote:
Lol, I'm not sure what I'm gonna be testing yet, but I would imagine it'd be The Division or Rainbow Six: Siege
Hmm I've been anticipating The Division, just hope that the lot of the features they showed dont get stripped out of when its finally released.
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

ogorhan wrote:
Denabu wrote: Lol, I'm not sure what I'm gonna be testing yet, but I would imagine it'd be The Division or Rainbow Six: Siege
Hmm I've been anticipating The Division, just hope that the lot of the features they showed dont get stripped out of when its finally released.
Haven't even started yet and I'm under an NDA or I'd keep you posted lol.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Hisao: Captalogue Emi's PROSTHETICS

You pick up Emi's FAKE LEGS, causing Lilly's CANE to shoot out of your deck like a bullet and shatter a nearby window. If you ever hope to achieve a full HAREM, you are going to need more cards.

HIsao: Throw down SWEATERVEST in disgust

This whole situation is complete bullshit, and if you don't get laid soon, you're going to flip the fuck out.

Rin: Pick up ARMS

What arms?

Speaking of baseless crossovers, I want to see Katawa Shoujo X Futabu, seeing as the latter now has a full-on anime.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

You know, I'm sure this has been thought of before...

But I got to thinking...would there be a need for Yamaku if most of the students were able to afford some sort of surgery?

For example...

Lily gets surgery and sees for the first time in her life
Shizune gets hearing implants and learns to speak
Rin gets prosthetic arms (Speaking of why isn't that a thing? I mean Emi got them for her..lack of legs)
Kenji gets surgery and makes his (Mostly) blind life a bit more clear

Anywho...A stupid idea? Possibly. But just something I happened to think of because I was bored and couldn't sleep. But if that were the case we wouldn't have KS to play would we? Haha
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Lilly was blind from birth, though, and likely doesn't have a functioning visual cortex. There are some surgeries that use modern technology to replace the eye entirely, but they're dependent on a functioning visual cortex, and attempts to apply them to people without one can end badly. (There are some things like tongue electrodes that may work, though. But, she would still be legally blind most likely, even using that technology, and Lilly doesn't seem like the type that would want an electrode matrix in her mouth.) Even with such technology, she'd still need a facility like Yamaku.

Shizune being deaf from birth makes anything like that more difficult, and she may also be Deaf, not just deaf (the capitalization refers to the culture). It's clear that she has disdain for Jigoro's attempts to make her speak, in any case. Essentially, trying to make a deaf Deaf person hear is tantamount to trying to pray the gay away, as I understand.

Rin may not know what to do with arms. I mean, she knows what people do with them, but she wouldn't think to use prosthetic arms even if she had them, I suspect (because she's never had arms), and they're nowhere near as useful (especially for fine motor control) as real arms.

Kenji... there may or may not be surgery available depending on what his exact ailment is, but if his case can be reasonably operated on, that wouldn't be a bad choice. The problem is that his real disability ain't his vision.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

Sohtak wrote:You know, I'm sure this has been thought of before...

But I got to thinking...would there be a need for Yamaku if most of the students were able to afford some sort of surgery?

For example...

Lily gets surgery and sees for the first time in her life
Shizune gets hearing implants and learns to speak
Rin gets prosthetic arms (Speaking of why isn't that a thing? I mean Emi got them for her..lack of legs)
Kenji gets surgery and makes his (Mostly) blind life a bit more clear

Anywho...A stupid idea? Possibly. But just something I happened to think of because I was bored and couldn't sleep. But if that were the case we wouldn't have KS to play would we? Haha
Well, Yamaku would still maintain its original purpose, only its turnover rate would now vary a bit more. Students could either be waiting for longer for vital implants/surgery or would continue their education there in order to assist in learning new life skills and adjust to whatever implants or procedures had been conducted on them.

To take your examples (and assuming that these procedures do, in fact, work - accounting for the facts my colleague above pointed out)):

Now that Lilly could see, she would require quite some time to pick up on sight-related skills that she either adapted to differently while bind or couldn't accomplish without help.

Shizune would have to adapt to various vocal skills and pronunciation - couldn't be student council president without being able to make a rousing speech, of course? :D

Rin would be able to learn how to use her fingers and arms, not only to complete daily tasks, but could also allow her to use both arms and legs while painting - can't say she wouldn't be dedicated when she's throwing her all into it, eh?

As for Kenji ... well, his sight would be corrected, but I suspect he might be a bit of a lost cause. XD
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015