Notable non-KS disabled characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Atario

Re: Notable non-KS disabled characters

Post by Atario »

KSPuff wrote:Crippled after having his legs crushed, he built himself a technological wheelchair. Just look at him, You can't tell me that's not a little awesome.
I don't know why it took that to remind me of this, but:

John Vriess from Alien: Resurrection.

Paraplegic; odd dude with an unplaceable foreign accent; starship mechanic; mercenary badass. Fuck yeah.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Atario wrote:
KSPuff wrote:Crippled after having his legs crushed, he built himself a technological wheelchair. Just look at him, You can't tell me that's not a little awesome.
I don't know why it took that to remind me of this, but:

John Vriess from Alien: Resurrection.

Paraplegic; odd dude with an unplaceable foreign accent; starship mechanic; mercenary badass. Fuck yeah.
That just reminded me of Marcus "Pinky" Pinzerowsk, from the Doom movie.
Due to a teleporter accident, his torso ended up in one place and (quoting the movie itself) "his ass somewhere else"

He, of course, becomes one of the monsters. Specifically, the Demon or "Pinky" from Doom 3.

Movie Pinky:
Game Pinky:

Even monsters of Hell can get crippled :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Someone mentioned Yuki Yuna is a Hero a while back, and I feel like it could do with a re-mentioning, in light of almost all of the main characters becoming disabled in some way. It's basically become Katawa Mahou Shoujo. We''ve got a blind eye, muteness, a loss of taste, and the girl in the wheelchair that first earned the show a mention here is now deaf in one ear. In addition, another character appeared who is fully paralyzed from the neck down, and can't use one eye, plus whatever else is wrong with her that was left unmentioned.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

I just remembered this:
In the video game Drakengard for the Playstation 2, there are these things called "pacts", where people make a pact with a magical being for power at a price. The Pact Price can be something frivolous such as your hair, like Verdelet, or something more. Two characters who actually ended up physically disabled from this are Caim, who paid with his tongue (voice, mute) and Leonard who lost his eyes (sight, blind).
Now some of these Pact Prices don't sound that bad, Seere lost his "time", rendering him functionally immortal. This would be awesome aside from the fact that he's permanently eight :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
d2r

Post by d2r »

Maculay Culkin's character in Saved!, if it hasn't been brought up already.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Can't imagine anyone has mentioned the wheelchair-bound Lord Guinness from Around The World with Willy Fog yet...
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

HarvestmanMan wrote:Can't imagine anyone has mentioned the wheelchair-bound Lord Guinness from Around The World with Willy Fog yet...
It's not every day you get Guinness and Wheelchair in the same context...
But when it occurs, it usually involves police intervention
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Atario

Post by Atario »

FelOnyx wrote:Someone mentioned Yuki Yuna is a Hero a while back, and I feel like it could do with a re-mentioning, in light of almost all of the main characters becoming disabled in some way. It's basically become Katawa Mahou Shoujo. We''ve got a blind eye, muteness, a loss of taste, and the girl in the wheelchair that first earned the show a mention here is now deaf in one ear. In addition, another character appeared who is fully paralyzed from the neck down, and can't use one eye, plus whatever else is wrong with her that was left unmentioned.
Yes, good call. The mentions of it here are what made me start watching, and the show has been one surprise after another, in a good way. Disabilities incurred as a direct result of heroism for the greater good are probably pretty easy to draw parallels to for many real-world situations, too.

OremLK

Post by OremLK »

Has Miles Vorkosigan been mentioned? Main character of a sixteen book science fiction series.

He's 4'9" as an adult and has brittle bones which break from minor impacts (so he's had broken bones dozens of times). Also grew up as a short, weird-looking guy in a world where "mutants" are hated and feared so he went through a lot of discrimination.

Probably my favorite fictional character ever. I think a lot of KS fans would like the book series too. It starts out being a space adventure type series but later on explores a lot of different genres such as mystery and romance.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oh! Bernard Marx from Brave New World.

He's supposed to be taller because of his social status and the artificial way humans are made in the future, but something went wrong and he was born as the future equivalent of a little person, which I believe also made him more fragile, though I may be misremembering that part.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Tom Robinson - To Kill a Mockingbird
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

FelOnyx wrote:Someone mentioned Yuki Yuna is a Hero a while back, and I feel like it could do with a re-mentioning, in light of almost all of the main characters becoming disabled in some way. It's basically become Katawa Mahou Shoujo. We''ve got a blind eye, muteness, a loss of taste, and the girl in the wheelchair that first earned the show a mention here is now deaf in one ear. In addition, another character appeared who is fully paralyzed from the neck down, and can't use one eye, plus whatever else is wrong with her that was left unmentioned.
Oh yes. I've been following Yuki Yuna. Katawa Mahou Shoujo indeed. The latest episode implies that each time they cycle through a tour of duty, they acquire a new "fairy" sidekick at the start, then a new disability when they go Mankai. Thus, the revelation of why Togo has three fairies to the others one -- she's been on three tours of duty, losing first her walking ability, and then her memories. The quadriplegic girl has twenty-one fairies. Also, as a side bonus, the girls can die or commit suicide.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Broomhead wrote:Tom Robinson - To Kill a Mockingbird
I honestly read that as Tony Robison :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Atario

Post by Atario »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:Also, as a side bonus, the girls can die or commit suicide.
Can't, you mean. :cry:

Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

Atario wrote:
Oscar Wildecat wrote:Also, as a side bonus, the girls can die or commit suicide.
Can't, you mean. :cry:
D'oh! :oops:
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.