Notable non-KS disabled characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Notable non-KS disabled characters

Post by Oddball »

Something was brought to my attention on another forum I frequent.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=53149

For those of you who don't want to check the link a real life disabled author has provided the inspiration to add a disabled character into Archie comics. Despite the simple tone Archie comics have, I kinda like her from the preview we've been shown. She feels like she'd fit right in with the cast of KS.

I also figured rather than just making a topic for an Archie character, this could be a general topic for any disabled characters you've found outside of KS that you enjoy. If you like, you could even talk about how they'd fit in at Yamaku.

I remember a manga story about a deaf girl being posted here sometime back (anyone still have the link to that?)
Not Dead Yet
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Notable non-KS disabled characters

Post by Silentcook »

Oddball wrote:I remember a manga story about a deaf girl being posted here sometime back (anyone still have the link to that?)
Probably Koe no Katachi by Ooima Yoshitoki, easily Googleable over the Internets.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

Silentcook wrote:
Oddball wrote:I remember a manga story about a deaf girl being posted here sometime back (anyone still have the link to that?)
Probably Koe no Katachi by Ooima Yoshitoki, easily Googleable over the Internets.
Our generous benefactor is correct, the manga you're thinking about is Koe no Katachi. The original 80ish page one-shot was posted here last year, but it was so popular the author has made an ongoing series of it now. I'm a few weeks behind, but I'd highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already. :P
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Does it involve the prick male character being run over by a cement mixer and the deaf girl dancing on his grave?
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

metalangel wrote:Does it involve the prick male character being run over by a cement mixer and the deaf girl dancing on his grave?
No, although there is a lot of terrible things that happen to him that's somewhat deserved, but he actively tries to redeem himself from his past and become a better person. Somehow Ooima Yoshitoki managed to make him a sympathetic character.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpecimenSix wrote:the author has made an ongoing series of it
Why did nobody tell me this?! D: (Also, unrelated: Archie comics are dreadful.)

There was a Star Trek episode with a deaf-mute guy brokering a peace to end civil war...Though he pretty much cheated all the normal difficulties of communication by having telepathic aides, so they could pluck his thoughts and express them with the proper inflection and tone and everything. If only it were that easy. :lol:

Through a series of events (including the murder of his aides and by extension, his primary means of communication), he ends up remaining behind on the planet in question to teach the warring factions sign language, figuring that the experience will help to form a bond and establish peace. It's all rather nice and inspirational, and a decent episode. (Notably, the actor is deaf, and the episode was created after he petitioned for an episode to dispel various falsehoods about those with the condition.)
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I remember that episode. I remember him getting very upset for the (real world too) faux pas of speaking to the interpreter instead of the person who is being interpreted for.

There's Linda the Librarian (we recently discussed her in the sign language thread) off Sesame Street, who I remember for teaching me (and Telly!) about her flashing doorbell.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Geez Louise. Archie's adventures as an adult? Simultaneous alternate timelines with Betty vs. Veronica? Zombie Archie-n-pals? Is it just me, or has the Archie comics universe run completely off the rails?

On-topic: Zatoichi is a classic. Though he'd not fit in at Yamaku, I fear.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Some disabled characters I've found interesting:

Christy in My Left Foot. Daniel Day-Lewis pretends to have cerebral palsy for your entertainment.
Frank in Scent of a Woman. Al Pacino pretends to be blind for your entertainment.
Gregory House in House. Hugh Laurie pretends to be an asshole for your entertainment.
Walt Jr. in Breaking Bad. CJ Mitte doesn't even have to pretend. He has CP in real life.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Toph Bei Fong A.K.A. the "Blind Bandit" from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Zatoichi, the blind swordsman, my inspiration for what Jigoro calls Lilly in my fanfic continuity.

Maya Nakanichi, Emi's Paralympics mentor, in the same continuity.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Nakanishi is hardly a "character" though. Otherwise we could start dropping Oscar Pistorius and Helen Keller in here...
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Eli Vance from Half Life 2. One of his legs is gone.

Also, Gordon Freeman, since he's clearly a mute.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Silentcook wrote:Nakanishi is hardly a "character" though. Otherwise we could start dropping Oscar Pistorius and Helen Keller in here...
I cheated a bit there, sorry; she's a character in AtD. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)