Sign Language Talk!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Munchenhausen
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Munchenhausen » Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 am

bhtooefr wrote:Wait, when was Kenta having CIP part of fanon?
oh jesus you've got me questioning myself now
If I ain't wrong, in Numb's shot at a Miki route he introduced Kenta as the track captain and gave him CIP..?

It's dawning on me now that there may well be a fanonical background to Kenta prior to Numb's attempt.
Welp.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by CoffeeDrive » Fri May 30, 2014 11:22 am

Munchenhausen wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:We should have a poll, "Who here has some kinda of disability?"
I have a mental illness, No brain cell deformity or anything like that to blame it on though. And it isn't very hindering to daily life so I basically ignore it.
That would be an interesting topic :P I might fix 'er up when I get home, if nobody else does/QuietChef allows it?

What's your power? :P
My brain damage happened when I really young, so I've pretty much healed up perfectly. Only downside is that it has left me with ADHD-PI, which is definitely more of a hinderance on a socialogical level than on a day-to-day level.
Also have Tinnitus, but once again that doesn't really affect my life so much, as it only ever annoys me when I'm drunk.
ADHD-PI is a bitch, a guy i used to know in my Secondary school had it, knew a girl with tinnitis aswell, but I think she had it real bad, could barely talk to people if it wasnt really quiet. I believe her tinnitis rose in volume alongside anything around her.

Ive got Borderline Personality Disorder coupled with some weird ass "Could be linked to alexthymia, but probably not" Where if I get to a point of severe disconnect within BPD I get to a point where I block out emotion and just dont care, or recognise it within other people.

Its an odd experience, Even stranger that I don't know when it is happening because I just don't care. Normally i just go hide myself away for an hour or two because I don't want to be around people.

The BPD itself it quite troublesome at times though, luckily, once you know that your broken emotions are infact an illness, it makes it easier to deal with, because if you get angry as shit or something, you know thats not really who you are and you can calm yourself down.

As such I normally just dont bother letting my emotions take over, because that would be pretty dangerous in my situation.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
Forever_ambivalent
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Forever_ambivalent » Fri May 30, 2014 11:35 am

Munchenhausen wrote:
Numb wrote: There's a surprising amount of people here that have some kind of disability. Mine isn't exactly brain damage, more of a very specific brain cell deformity, at least from what I remember being told. All I know is that I no feely da painy :lol:
I remember you saying! Same as the fanonical Track Captain, right? ;)
I admit, as much as it does have its downsides, CIP is probably one of the better superpowers this forum's userbase has to offer
CoffeeDrive wrote:We should have a poll, "Who here has some kinda of disability?"
I have a mental illness, No brain cell deformity or anything like that to blame it on though. And it isn't very hindering to daily life so I basically ignore it.
That would be an interesting topic :P I might fix 'er up when I get home, if nobody else does/QuietChef allows it?

What's your power? :P
My brain damage happened when I really young, so I've pretty much healed up perfectly. Only downside is that it has left me with ADHD-PI, which is definitely more of a hinderance on a socialogical level than on a day-to-day level.
Also have Tinnitus, but once again that doesn't really affect my life so much, as it only ever annoys me when I'm drunk.
I would make the thread but I cant be bothered. I'm surprised it hasn't been made yet. The reason I hadn't made it was because I thought it had been made already and I couldn't be bothered to go and find out.
I think most people here have some disability that hinders their life somewhat. Or at least hindered their life.

Anyway we are going off topic.
How many people here actually know Sign Language? I think there are only 4 or 5 people here who know Sign Language.

User avatar
Numb
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 am
Location: In a chair behind a desk. Always.

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Numb » Fri May 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Munchenhausen wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Wait, when was Kenta having CIP part of fanon?
oh jesus you've got me questioning myself now
If I ain't wrong, in Numb's shot at a Miki route he introduced Kenta as the track captain and gave him CIP..?

It's dawning on me now that there may well be a fanonical background to Kenta prior to Numb's attempt.
Welp.
I did get the name from another fic, but I don't remember there being anything other than the first name mentioned in it. But yeah, I gave him CIP, mostly because I couldn't think of anything that wasn't already done that wouldn't fuck with the fact that he runs.

Anyway, yeah, back to the sign language thing. I would learn it if I knew any deaf people, or knew I would be working with one in advance, but as it stands now I feel like it'd be a useless skill that I'd forget how to use due to never practicing.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2522
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Silentcook » Fri May 30, 2014 3:48 pm

brythain wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:This is oddly true, We should have a poll, "Who here has some kinda of disability?"
That's a good idea. Maybe you could open a new thread? :)
There is one already, sort of.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Potato » Fri May 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Atario wrote:
Potato wrote:But nah, I got both hands. Just the right (that whole side, really) is defective as saggy tits on account of hydrocephalus-induced brain damage. Can't coordinate shit.
Holy shit, how have I read so much from you without ever finding this out? (And you've been typing one-handed all along…)
Truefax: I initially processed "omg are you an IRL Miki but with a penis" as a mental image of Miki but with a penis in place of her one hand...
Edward Penishands, meet Miki Penishand, singular. You can tell her to go fuck herself and she'll say "Why would I need to go anywhere?" and get busy on the spot.
One finger, actually. :lol: Actual typing technique is basically useless to me so I've had to learn to hunt-and-peck the keys as quick as a starving bird pecking up popcorn.

Also, "Brain Damage Friends!" could potentially be the most hilarious webcomic title ever.

I knew somebody who was deaf for all of a couple months before bullying drove her to switch schools. Used a notepad to talk to her but picked up some easier signs here and there. I've since forgotten them, sadly.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by bhtooefr » Fri May 30, 2014 7:30 pm

On topic... I recall one year in middle school, they taught the ASL alphabet and a few signs, but I don't remember any of them.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Oddball » Sat May 31, 2014 3:39 pm

I remember they used to teach sign language on Sesame street. And while I can still count to ten in Spanish thanks to that show, the signs I've learned have long since left me.
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by metalangel » Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Linda (Bove) did so much to raise awareness about deaf-related issues, Deaf culture and the Deaf community on Sesame Street. I read an article about her role and how, for example, many older deaf people had never seen a TTY before their kids or grandkids told them about Linda using one on the show. What's more, she showed that being deaf was nothing to be ashamed of, and it helped a lot of families who may have had family members that were deaf/hoh and felt isolated to grow closer.

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:46 am

There's a show aimed primarily at preschoolers called Something Special here in the UK. The entire show is based around teaching children (and adults) basic Makaton (which I believe is used more by those with learning difficulties as opposed to hearing problems), and has gone a long way to improving awareness of Makaton signing in the United Kingdom.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
Munchenhausen
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Munchenhausen » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:07 pm

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:There's a show aimed primarily at preschoolers called Something Special here in the UK. The entire show is based around teaching children (and adults) basic Makaton (which I believe is used more by those with learning difficulties as opposed to hearing problems), and has gone a long way to improving awareness of Makaton signing in the United Kingdom.
My mum used to work with children, then worked as a Special Needs teacher, and now works as an Assessor for Teachers for 'troubled kids'. through her time working these jobs, she used to be fluent in Makaton and taught me the alphabet in BSL :)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

User avatar
Woody Alien
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: [citation needed]

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Woody Alien » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:33 pm

This thread makes me want to play Rogue Legacy again. Sorry, being off topic...

Anyway, can't say I "know" sign language, but last year I went to a few free lessons by a girl who studied it a couple years ("it" being LIS or Italian Sign Language, as I live there). I was inspired by KS of course. It was a nice experience but I forgot almost everything in a few months, it wasn't an intensive course but rather one meeting a week for a few months.
This year I am repeating the experience, but with an added twist: the girl is doing a show (as in, short comedic sketches to be performed in a theatre) for both deaf and hearing people for her thesis in Social Studies, and asked all the people who were there last year to come back again.
I'm doing the usual weekly meetings but this time with actual deaf people among the students... it's an interesting if (at first) a bit awkward experience, hope this time i'm improving on myself.
The show idea is good if a bit difficult to put on, as neither I nor the other students are actors (I played a few parts for a quite small company the last few years, but that's it) and we're not used to do this, plus it won't be easy to both make signs, talk and convey emotions at the same time. But I'm sure the final product will be a great job for everyone, and maybe i would even have learned something by then ;)
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/

Kutagh
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Kutagh » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Woody Alien wrote:This thread makes me want to play Rogue Legacy again. Sorry, being off topic...

Anyway, can't say I "know" sign language, but last year I went to a few free lessons by a girl who studied it a couple years ("it" being LIS or Italian Sign Language, as I live there). I was inspired by KS of course. It was a nice experience but I forgot almost everything in a few months, it wasn't an intensive course but rather one meeting a week for a few months.
This year I am repeating the experience, but with an added twist: the girl is doing a show (as in, short comedic sketches to be performed in a theatre) for both deaf and hearing people for her thesis in Social Studies, and asked all the people who were there last year to come back again.
I'm doing the usual weekly meetings but this time with actual deaf people among the students... it's an interesting if (at first) a bit awkward experience, hope this time i'm improving on myself.
The show idea is good if a bit difficult to put on, as neither I nor the other students are actors (I played a few parts for a quite small company the last few years, but that's it) and we're not used to do this, plus it won't be easy to both make signs, talk and convey emotions at the same time. But I'm sure the final product will be a great job for everyone, and maybe i would even have learned something by then ;)
Being able to sign and convey emotions at the same time is one of the things that makes someone a decent signer. However, talking and signing simultaneously (ignoring some Sign Language grammar in this instance) is harder, yeah... In any case, try to remember to have fun ;)

You might be interested to nose around at this site: http://www.theatresign.com/aboutus.html , and there is an interview at the BBC iPlayer in the programme See Hear ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-8 at about 19:00, if you're not from GB I recommend mediahint) with Terry Ruane (see threatre sign link).

User avatar
Woody Alien
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: [citation needed]

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Woody Alien » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:35 am

I'm going to read it, thanks! However remember that ours is little more than a pet project.
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:38 pm

It turns out that I can take a course in sign language as an extra to my university course, and I think I'm going to do it. I have a fair amount of experience in learning spoken language (I can speak French to a reasonable fluency, can get about with German and Italian and know basic Finnish and Japanese), how much more difficult/different is the learning process for sign language?
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


Post Reply