Sign Language Talk!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pandas

Re: Sign Language Talk!

Post by Pandas »

Ahh, i see where you are coming from. I'm quite interested in all this. I've honestly never met a deaf or blind person but i have seen a few in public, but this doesn't stop me from wanting to learn it. I'll definently try to learn basics simply to say i can!
Thanks for all the amazing info Meta!
You are a very kind and quite interesting person :3

@Forever_Ambivalent.
Braile?!?
I've kinda wanted to learn that too!
Oh jeez, im getting to worked up in wanting to learn so many random things
O.o
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Pandas wrote:I'll definently try to learn basics simply to say i can!
Careful, saying you know 'a bit' might result in people thinking you're fluent.

(in all seriousness, though, good on you for wanting to learn; just remember it's a big commitment so you need to be serious about it if you want to get anywhere beyond apologizing and offering a pen and paper)
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

metalangel wrote:
Pandas wrote:I'll definently try to learn basics simply to say i can!
Careful, saying you know 'a bit' might result in people thinking you're fluent.

(in all seriousness, though, good on you for wanting to learn; just remember it's a big commitment so you need to be serious about it if you want to get anywhere beyond apologizing and offering a pen and paper)
Yeah, unfortunantly living in such a small town i have no classes to take it in or anyone (i know of) that knows it. Ill ask around to my teachers but i doubt it's a thing people just have in their array of knowledge. I'm going to TRY and stay working at it though!
And yeah, even spanish is a bit of commitment. Languages are always such a long progression.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Gee shit this thread makes me regret choosing music theory club over sign language club. Well sort of.
I know a bit of basic Braille though.
I remember seeing 2 people speak sign language in a train when I was in Germany .it was quite amazing and very attractive. I've never been a big fan of speaking so it might be worth learning a few signs that people can understand even If they don't know any sign language.
Anybody know a few?
I went through a period (about two years ago) of getting a book, taking a sheet of card, a dud biro and (initially) a braille alphabet, and then embossing it into the paper :P I'm not sure why I did it, but I can now read the dots. Unfortunately, that kind of defeats the object of it really, and I don't think I drew them big enough to be useful to a blind person :/

In BSL, I can sign basic vocab (so hello, goodbye, how are you?), colours, some animals, some countries, the numerical system up to a million... and of course the alphabet. I don't practice it as much as I should, but then I've never met a deaf person that I've needed to use it for. It's good to learn though.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Potato

Post by Potato »

I thought about learning sign once...Then I remembered quite a few signs take two hands. Looks like apologies, pens and notepads for me. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Potato wrote:I thought about learning sign once...Then I remembered quite a few signs take two hands. Looks like apologies, pens and notepads for me. :lol:
Two hands a problem, chum?
omg are you an IRL Miki but with a penis
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Potato

Post by Potato »

Munchenhausen wrote:
Potato wrote:I thought about learning sign once...Then I remembered quite a few signs take two hands. Looks like apologies, pens and notepads for me. :lol:
Two hands a problem, chum?
omg are you an IRL Miki but with a penis
I wish I had things as easy as Miki. :lol: She seems far better adjusted. I'm more akin to Hanako on her worst day.

But nah, I got both hands. Just the right (that whole side, really) is defective as saggy tits on account of hydrocephalus-induced brain damage. Can't coordinate shit. (If I ever look like I'm doing a Hook impression though, I'm trying to give you the finger.)

Truefax: I initially processed "omg are you an IRL Miki but with a penis" as a mental image of Miki but with a penis in place of her one hand...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, Im effectively as fluent in BSL as I am in english, I started learning when I was 11 (Im 18 now), due to me having a deaf cousin and I really wanted to talk to her, considering her older sister was the only other person who really could, (My uncle was always "Too busy" to try learn, and my Aunt just couldn't get the hang of it, no matter how hard she tried.)

I was learning through osmosis alongside lessons from my Non-deaf cousin, it took about 2 months of a couple lessons a week and hanging around them every couple days (They lived close) to get to a state where I could hold a somewhat effective conversation. But took about a year and a half to be "Fluent", so to be honest, its about as much as any other language.

It is quite difficult to get started to with, but you can always result to spelling the words out if you get stuck, the alphabet is easy to learn, about a week to memorise if you work on it at home.

And yes, effectively mumbling the sentence to yourself as you sign does help, helps your brain connect the sign to the word.

Facial expressions and mouthing words are VERY important when it comes to some signs, due to the inability to convoy "Attitudes" by the way you talk, facial expression is important.

And with BSL, some signs require you to make a joint facial expression/mouth movement, which is irritating, but it broadens the vocabulary by a surprising amount.

Thats my thoughts on it anyway, Its a very interesting language.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:But nah, I got both hands. Just the right (that whole side, really) is defective as saggy tits on account of hydrocephalus-induced brain damage. Can't coordinate shit.
Holy shit, how have I read so much from you without ever finding this out? (And you've been typing one-handed all along…)
Truefax: I initially processed "omg are you an IRL Miki but with a penis" as a mental image of Miki but with a penis in place of her one hand...
Edward Penishands, meet Miki Penishand, singular. You can tell her to go fuck herself and she'll say "Why would I need to go anywhere?" and get busy on the spot.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Potato wrote: I wish I had things as easy as Miki. :lol: She seems far better adjusted. I'm more akin to Hanako on her worst day.

But nah, I got both hands. Just the right (that whole side, really) is defective as saggy tits on account of hydrocephalus-induced brain damage. Can't coordinate shit. (If I ever look like I'm doing a Hook impression though, I'm trying to give you the finger.)
Ooya bugger, sorry to hear that.

In the other hand, I wanna give you a double thumbs-up and shout "Brain Damage friends!" :D
I suffered hypoxia when I was born, because my heart was being a dickhead and wanted five more minutes sleep before it started beating.
[FANFICTION INTENSIFIES]
Why do you think she keeps it bandaged?! IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS!
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Numb

Post by Numb »

Munchenhausen wrote:In the other hand, I wanna give you a double thumbs-up and shout "Brain Damage friends!" :D
I suffered hypoxia when I was born, because my heart was being a dickhead and wanted five more minutes sleep before it started beating.

There's a surprising amount of people here that have some kind of disability. Mine isn't exactly brain damage, more of a very specific brain cell deformity, at least from what I remember being told. All I know is that I no feely da painy :lol:
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Numb wrote:
There's a surprising amount of people here that have some kind of disability. Mine isn't exactly brain damage, more of a very specific brain cell deformity, at least from what I remember being told. All I know is that I no feely da painy :lol:
This is oddly true, We should have a poll, "Who here has some kinda of disability?"

I have a mental illness, No brain cell deformity or anything like that to blame it on though. And it isn't very hindering to daily life so I basically ignore it.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
brythain

Post by brythain »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Numb wrote:
This is oddly true, We should have a poll, "Who here has some kinda of disability?"
That's a good idea. Maybe you could open a new thread? :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Numb wrote: There's a surprising amount of people here that have some kind of disability. Mine isn't exactly brain damage, more of a very specific brain cell deformity, at least from what I remember being told. All I know is that I no feely da painy :lol:
I remember you saying! Same as the fanonical Track Captain, right? ;)
I admit, as much as it does have its downsides, CIP is probably one of the better superpowers this forum's userbase has to offer
CoffeeDrive wrote:We should have a poll, "Who here has some kinda of disability?"
I have a mental illness, No brain cell deformity or anything like that to blame it on though. And it isn't very hindering to daily life so I basically ignore it.
That would be an interesting topic :P I might fix 'er up when I get home, if nobody else does/QuietChef allows it?

What's your power? :P
My brain damage happened when I really young, so I've pretty much healed up perfectly. Only downside is that it has left me with ADHD-PI, which is definitely more of a hinderance on a socialogical level than on a day-to-day level.
Also have Tinnitus, but once again that doesn't really affect my life so much, as it only ever annoys me when I'm drunk.
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Wait, when was Kenta having CIP part of fanon?
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!