Katawa Und Panzer

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Re: Katawa Und Panzer

Post by Munchenhausen »

I was watching a D-Day documentary on the tanks used for the beach invasion, and 'Hobart's Funnies' were a large portion of it.
Featuring, of course, the Churchill Crocodile flame tank.

I like to think of myself as morally questionable, at best, and even I wouldn't want to man that thing. Not for safety reasons, but simply because of its Flamethrower.
That shit looks fucking horrendous to use; nightmare-inducing, even.

I understand the correlation of everyone agreeing Hanako would be in a Flametank, but I can't help but feel it would be one of the worst things she could do. Possibly even going as far as to render her catatonic.

Jesus, just look at the damage that thing could do. Designed to smoke people out fortifications, sure, but in a GuP setup I imagine it could easily go horribly, horribly wrong.

Flame their fank to force them to evacuate? Good plan!
The heat has warped their armour and they can't escape?! Oh dear, they're roasting alive inside there. Oh look the heat has triggered the powder in the ammunition and their ammo rack has exploded killing everyone inside.

Wboopsie.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

I'm sure no-one sane would want to man a flamethrower tank. Jesus, how did any of the crews of those things sleep at night?

Minor deviation aside, I think Hanako would probably be better suited to a light tank, probably something that can get in, mess stuff up, then get out. Probably would give a whole new turn to her catch phrase.

"I-I-I-I IGOTTAGETOUTTAHERE!" *vroom*
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

AussieInquisitor wrote:(Edited for whoopsie-daisy, completely missing the point ... I think)

I think the only criterion everyone seems to be running on here is that our little crew, in compliance with the "rules" established in GuP, can only use tanks or armoured fighting vehicles from the Second World War - most likely due to the proliferation of them during this conflict. I definitely know that the majority of tanks used by each 'national team' in GuP were vehicles that, for the most part, were locally developed and used by them (such as the British with Churchills and Cromwells, for example), so vehicles that were based on foreign designs (eg: the Sherman Firefly) could end up within one team or another.

Apart from that, I'm in the dark. Back to you, O.P.
There were Cold War Era tanks mentioned, but not seen, in GuP as well.

Also, all of the schools were Japanese girls emulating the country their tanks were from, not actually from the country :lol:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:GuP rules would probably work. Take away the "Only girls can drive tanks" part though because we don't want to limit the amount of people in KS. The cast in KS is already low enough. Battles and tanks must be realistic
Tanks have to have at least a prototype that still exist's today. All mass produced tanks are fine as well (some WW2 mass produced tanks havn't managed to survive today :( )
It would be nice if the tanks somewhat reflect the girls (Tanks that relate to their personality in some way for example the widely accepted Shizune=Panther)
I think these rules should be fine.
I think it is ok to pull in some random character's in Hisao's class just so that we can have more members. We want to have a few tanks.

How entertaining. I had also began to think about making a fanfiction (my first one). I think my knowledge of tanks is fairly good (for somebody who isn't a tank historian or any other tank related job) so I could brew up some nice tank battles. I decided against it though. I am not the most confident in my literacy skills :(
The "Only girls can drive tanks" in Girls und Panzer is actually bullshit even in the series. I don't think ERWIN Rommel is a female name :lol:

Addendum on the Flamethrower tanks:
Those weren't for fighting other tanks. Those were infantry killers. The flamethrower was developed FOR clearing trenches and small bunkers.
And yes, it was basically mandatory to be batshit insane to be the guy using the flamethrower. Those tanks containing the highly volatile fuel? Very easily pierced and would go off if they were. The poor sods using the flamethrower were basically a walking firebomb waiting to happen.
Iirc, that might be why Flamethrowers are illegal to use in war now.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Steinherz wrote: The "Only girls can drive tanks" in Girls und Panzer is actually bullshit even in the series. I don't think ERWIN Rommel is a female name :lol:

I don't think it's that only girls can drive tanks, but more that the sport of tankery is considered feminine.

It parallels the naginata. Back when they were still used on the battlefield, they were used by men, but as they were phased out in war they became the domain of samurai women at home. I'm guessing something similar happened with tanks.

Back in the world wars and such, the same people fought the same battles as we know of in history, but at some point, possibly when everyone had absolutely massive ships that were rather hard to drive a tank up to, tanks became a girl's martial art.
This still does not explain how someone possibly got the idea "Oh, we have all these useless tanks, and our wives and daughters have nothing to do, they can have them" which must have taken a very respectable level of crazy to think of, but it makes sense as the reason for the girl's only rule.

Well, I never thought it was a rule, more like in this bizarre world, there were little boys going around saying that they don't like tanks, and they are for girls, and picking on some kid for bringing a model Panzer IV to school. In this world, boys want no more to do with tanks than they do with flower arranging.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

FelOnyx wrote:
Steinherz wrote: The "Only girls can drive tanks" in Girls und Panzer is actually bullshit even in the series. I don't think ERWIN Rommel is a female name :lol:

I don't think it's that only girls can drive tanks, but more that the sport of tankery is considered feminine
I wish that was a thing because something about women driving tanks everywhere sounds awesome.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

SpunkySix wrote:
FelOnyx wrote:

I don't think it's that only girls can drive tanks, but more that the sport of tankery is considered feminine
I wish that was a thing because something about women driving tanks everywhere sounds awesome.
You want sexism?
WTF is wrong with you. Hopefully I am misunderstanding you or something.
Sorry for liking tanks and being a boy.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:You want sexism?
I think you're reading too far into that. I was just kind of kidding around and saying that without considering the implications, seeing a ton of girls driving around in tanks and blowing stuff up would be cool.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

FelOnyx wrote:I don't think it's that only girls can drive tanks, but more that the sport of tankery is considered feminine.

It parallels the naginata. Back when they were still used on the battlefield, they were used by men, but as they were phased out in war they became the domain of samurai women at home. I'm guessing something similar happened with tanks.

Back in the world wars and such, the same people fought the same battles as we know of in history, but at some point, possibly when everyone had absolutely massive ships that were rather hard to drive a tank up to, tanks became a girl's martial art.
This still does not explain how someone possibly got the idea "Oh, we have all these useless tanks, and our wives and daughters have nothing to do, they can have them" which must have taken a very respectable level of crazy to think of, but it makes sense as the reason for the girl's only rule.

Well, I never thought it was a rule, more like in this bizarre world, there were little boys going around saying that they don't like tanks, and they are for girls, and picking on some kid for bringing a model Panzer IV to school. In this world, boys want no more to do with tanks than they do with flower arranging.
Which is kind of funny, because according to Girls und Panzer, the martial art of Tankery started in Japan.
Like seriously, Japan Logic: "Manliest fucking weapons possible? Nah, these are actually for women."

To quote one Anonymous Mammoth Tank crewman: "Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of fuck you."
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Forever_ambivalent

SpunkySix wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:You want sexism?
I think you're reading too far into that. I was just kind of kidding around and saying that without considering the implications, seeing a ton of girls driving around in tanks I and blowing stuff up would be cool.
I think I take the internet way too seriously :?
I think girls would be able to drive tanks that require a lot of quick work and multi tasking (e.g. Char B1) better than boys. I think it's pretty stupid people to think men can handle tanks better than women when it is normally the other way round in many tanks.
Women have a lot of advantages over men that would be immensely useful in tankery.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
FelOnyx wrote:

Just don't give the feminists any tanks. All the rational women, fine. :lol:

Does Yamaku get enough funding to buy tanks?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
poopooface

Post by poopooface »

I'm late, but some of you are multiple time zones ahead of me anyway, so it still wouldn't have mattered, but HAPPY D-DAY EVERYONE!
Let us dedicate this day to the brave cripples from Yamaku that lost their lives that day 70 years ago. Oh how the good die young, not that it would have mattered anyway, a lot of them have shorter life expectancies.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Potato

Post by Potato »

poopooface wrote:I'm late, but some of you are multiple time zones ahead of me anyway, so it still wouldn't have mattered, but HAPPY D-DAY EVERYONE!
Let us dedicate this day to the brave cripples from Yamaku that lost their lives that day 70 years ago. Oh how the good die young, not that it would have mattered anyway, a lot of them have shorter life expectancies.
...Who...What...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Potato wrote:
poopooface wrote:I'm late, but some of you are multiple time zones ahead of me anyway, so it still wouldn't have mattered, but HAPPY D-DAY EVERYONE!
...Who...What...
It's June 6, 2014. 70 years ago was June 6, 1944. D-Day.
I also draw, kind of.
Forever_ambivalent

I like how D-Day is on my Birthday. Makes me feel pretty good to know that such an important operation started on my B-Day.

Anyway Hanako in a light tank? That would be really amusing. Imagine her zooming all over the enemy lines and making everyone (including herself) panic.
I think Hanako will make sure that the enemy go catatonic before she does :lol:
AnImpatientUser

Katawa Shoujo tank crew

Post by AnImpatientUser »

I really thought about this, i always wondered about the main girls being a tank crew

Heres my crew setup

Commander : Misha
Radio Operator : Shizune
Loader : Rin
Gunner : Lilly
Spotter: Hanako
Driver : Emi

I am intending to create a World of Tanks mod based on this

Am i a horrible person ?