Katawa Und Panzer

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Katawa Und Panzer

Post by Munchenhausen »

Now, I like to play World of Tanks let's face it, tanks are alway going to be awesome and I occasionally delve into Anime.
To my surprise, there's a quite popular anime centered around schoolgirls driving WWII-era Tanks, called Girls Und Panzer.

I was most pleased by this revelation.

I've skimmed over the first episode because why the fuck not, and my mind has been drifting today in the Warehouse about this.

Say Yamaku entered the Tankery competitions alongside the other schools, who would do what?

Driver: Lilly
The view port would be that awkward to see out of anyway, why the fuck not just put a blind chick there and block up the port altogether? One less weakspot, y'know?

Commander: Rin
This could easily backfire with such commands as "Go towards the big rolly-polly thing", or whatever other shite she could ramble on about. However, if there's one person who could keep unsettlingly calm under fire, I'd say Rin.

Gunner: Shizune
Eyes on the prize, baby. Eyes on the prize.
Plus any mathematical thinking, such as trajectory calculations on the fly, would be child's play.

Loader: Emi
Who else to load big, heavy tank rounds and out them into the end of a huge steaming gun? The little loli-looking lass, of course. Somethin about her being athletic enough to do it, also. She can tap Shizune's back to let her know it's loaded.

Also I can just imagine Natsume and Naomi driving a little Renault FT, because omfg that'd be awesome/cute/French
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Comrade

Re: Katawa Und Panzer

Post by Comrade »

Well, i have heard of that anime and its various communist schoolgirls. Seemed pretty stupid to me, and i'm not a big fan of crossovers.

I think this will be Kenji's biggest nighttmare.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Lol
WoT is a fun game but researching about actual WW2 and how tank's worked and fought is much better. When it comes to historical accuracy WoT is a bundle of shit.
Even the paper panzers are twisted to unbelievable degrees.
GuP is better than WoT in terms of historical accuracy but still isn't that good. But how could you not love seeing a Panzer 4 beating a Maus?! Turbo boost Porsche Tiger was hilarious as well.

BTW you should specify which tank you would have the girls in.
Lilly would be a decent driver because drivers barely see anything in the first place anyway. But I would think that Lilly would be a much better Radio operator as she can learn how the radio works and speak to people. She doesn't need to see anything.

Shizune would be the gunner. No doubt about it. Just imagine her going fanatic over destroying a tank. Big problem is that she wouldn't understand what Rin is saying. Well Shizune will probably shoot everything in sight anyway and it's not like she is stupid. She will easily be able to identify which enemy tank is the more important one to destroy. No need to have a Misha around. We don't want to have Lilly and Shizune to converse.

Emi would most likely be the loader. She seems to be the strongest physically and can probably do the job pretty well.

Rin would be a decent commander. She seems capable of being a leader but just not very good at wording how stuff should be done. Fortunately that shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway. I think Rin is clever enough to know some good fighting tactics and how to escape and whatnot.

By process of elimination Hanako would have to be the driver. She isn't blind and has her arms and legs. It wouldn't be nice if she went catatonic while getting shot at though. I think she has toughened up after her route though so she should be fine. Maybe a little jumpy but that sort of sensitivity could prove useful especially when put alongside with Rin. In the heat of the battle she could easily get a vague understanding of what Rin is saying and she reads literature often so it probably won't be that hard for her.

Now just put these girls in a Panther and we have a cool and sexy crew in a cool and sexy tank.
I don't know if it would work though. It's a nice little fun concept though.

BTW whats your username in WoT?
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I agree with most of these, with Lilly as the operator. I wonder though... could Misha interpret fast enough for Shizune to be commander, and Rin to gun with her feet? Shizune is kind of a strategical genius, Misha is loud enough to hear under fire and Rin's calmness would work better behind a gun where she does more shooting than describing.

Pic entitled "Commanders" for reference, courtesy of Deviantart:

"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

OK, not exactly on-topic-kilter, but if tankery was a viable sport, I can imagine each of the heroines would be allocated to a unit (ie: 'team') and a personal tank that reflects a bit of their doctrine.

EDIT: Drat, I had planned to include a couple of historical units here (since I don't know GuP's teams in play), but I decided to remove them to save space

Name: Shizune
Tank of Choice: Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf. A

Name: Lilly
Tank of Choice: Sherman VC Firefly

Name: Emi
Tank of Choice: M18 Hellcat

Name: Rin
Tank of Choice: Sherman Crab mine-clearer or Sherman Duplex Drive

Name: Hanako
Tank of Choice: Field-modified Type 97 Chi-Ha, mounting a captured flame projector

Name: Misha
Tank of Choice: Iosef Stalin 2
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Bugger me, I'd completely forgotten about both Radio Operators and Hanako.
That settles it, Lilly as Radio Operator and Hanako can drive.

I can just imagine Hanako getting really fired up pun unintended whilst driving, though...
"Hanako, we're out of rounds and there's a Panzerjäger up ahead. Get us out of here before it notices us."
"No... I've g-got this."
"Hanako, what are you doing? Turn back!"
"I'm gonna r-ram it..."
"...You what?"
"I-I'M GONNA FUCKEN RAM IT!!"
And then she rammed it. The end.

Also, me WoT user is the same as pretty much everything; Munchenhausen
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Forever_ambivalent

AussieInquisitor wrote:OK, not exactly on-topic-kilter, but if tankery was a viable sport, I can imagine each of the heroines would be allocated to a unit (ie: 'team') and a personal tank that reflects a bit of their doctrine.

EDIT: Drat, I had planned to include a couple of historical units here (since I don't know GuP's teams in play), but I decided to remove them to save space

Name: Shizune
Tank of Choice: Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf. A

Name: Lilly
Tank of Choice: Sherman VC Firefly

Name: Emi
Tank of Choice: M18 Hellcat

Name: Rin
Tank of Choice: Sherman Crab mine-clearer or Sherman Duplex Drive

Name: Hanako
Tank of Choice: Field-modified Type 97 Chi-Ha, mounting a captured flame projector

Name: Misha
Tank of Choice: Iosef Stalin 2
Out of all of your choices the only one that made sense to me was Emi with the M18 Hellcat. The fast tank that packs a punch but can't take a blow. It represents her quite well. I suppose the Panther also makes sense. It is a tank that stired up a lot of competition. Dunno why you would specifically choose the ausf A version though. Personally I would go for the Panther ausf F.

The big bundle of explosive laughter (Misha) would definitely be a sturmtiger. Just imagine Misha destroying Yamaku. Very much possible with a sturmtiger.
I would imagine Hanako being a more Churchill crocodile or Churchill AVRE kind of person. She isn't as week as a Chi-Ha.
Lilly would drive (move around) an inflatable M4 Sherman :)
Rin is Rin. I don't think you can give her a tank. Rin is the tank(s) that you think is(are) the most beautiful and amazing.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

I think I'll just leave this here…
KS Panzer.jpg
KS Panzer.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
It looks like the group's already been decided. :lol:

I've been meaning to watch Girls Und Panzer for awhile, is it any good?
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Forever_ambivalent

SpecimenSix wrote:I think I'll just leave this here…
KS Panzer.jpg
It looks like the group's already been decided. :lol:

I've been meaning to watch Girls Und Panzer for awhile, is it any good?
I suppose for the Panzer 38(t) (later the Hetzer) you would have
Shizune: commander and gunner
Misha: radio operator and translator.
Hideaki: driver
Jigoro: Loader

For the M3 Lee
Rin: Commander
Emi: Driver
Nurse: Gunner
Meiko: Gunner
Sae: Radio Operator
Nomiya: Loader

For the panzer 4
Hisao: Commander
Kenji: Radio operator (his paranoid rambling might become useful) and loader
Miki: Driver (she can still drive a tank without a hand probably)
Iwaneko: Gunner

And obviously for the Stug 3 (crew is shown in the picture)
Lilly: Commander
Hanako: Gunner
Akira: Loader and radio operator
Yuuko: Driver

Ta-da we have our little group of tankists. I think I used up all the characters in the game. If you haven't realized yet I am using the tanks in GuP.
Oh and I recommend you watch GuP. It's not fantastic and the first few episodes are lackluster but the later episodes are really great and fun to watch. There are some great moments and it's definitely a nice anime to watch.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Ta-da we have our little group of tankists. I think I used up all the characters in the game.
Well, tanks very much. Although I do use the word 'tanker' normally for such crew, I'd rather be kist than not.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Aye, those are the tanks used in GuP, but what tanks would the Yamaku kids use?
Aussie's got a nice list there, but I can't help but think the AMX 40 may be a popular choice.

It's slow as fuck with an alright gun, but it has the bounciest damn armour I've ever seen. On top of that, it looks like a fucking duck. Who can resist driving a giant metal duck?

Also I stand by two girls taking on an FT-17 and trundling to the battle just after the dust settles, much to their disappointment.
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

The girls aren't defined by their disabilities, but I still think it'd be kind of fun to see the tanks reflect them in a positive light.

Lilly's has advanced camouflaged so it's much harder to see, Shizune's guns don't make any sound when they go off making it harder to know where the shots are coming from, Hanako has one half that shoots normally and the other half has some big crazy flamethrower on it, Emi's tank has no treads but instead bounces around sporadically on a giant spring, and Rin's tank is shaped like a jellyfish or something weird just to catch people off-guard.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:Lilly's has advanced camouflaged so it's much harder to see, Shizune's guns don't make any sound when they go off making it harder to know where the shots are coming from, Hanako has one half that shoots normally and the other half has some big crazy flamethrower on it, Emi's tank has no treads but instead bounces around sporadically on a giant spring, and Rin's tank is shaped like a jellyfish or something weird just to catch people off-guard.
Lilly's: So any tank then?
Shizune: That's impossible. However in terms of overall quietness, the M1A1 Abrams is the quietest tank
Hanako: There's a lot of flamethrower tanks. The best/coolest looking one is the Churchill Crocodile (Churchill Mk VII variant) or the M67 "Zippo" (M48 Patton variant)
Rin & Emi: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Forever_ambivalent

Munchenhausen wrote:Aye, those are the tanks used in GuP, but what tanks would the Yamaku kids use?
Aussie's got a nice list there, but I can't help but think the AMX 40 may be a popular choice.

It's slow as fuck with an alright gun, but it has the bounciest damn armour I've ever seen. On top of that, it looks like a fucking duck. Who can resist driving a giant metal duck?

Also I stand by two girls taking on an FT-17 and trundling to the battle just after the dust settles, much to their disappointment.
Yea because the kids at Yamaku can get tanks that never existed and were only written on paper. also the AMX 40 has less armor than the Matilda MK.II (which was made IRL and is a pretty awesome tank in WoT as well). Be careful about the tanks in WoT. Lots of them are paper tanks and some are even made-up (yes there are largely made up tanks in WoT. Waffentrager auf E-100 is a fantastic example).
The Yamaku kids would use whatever tanks they could find. Although personally I would like to see them driving Hungarian or Japanese tanks. GuP focused a lot on German tanks and I found the lack of British and Japanese tanks very dissapointing :( no I am not happy with seeing 4 Matildas and a churchill. Hungarian tanks need some more publicizing. Some of them were quite competitive with the M4 Sherman, Panzer 4 and T-34 designs.
SpunkySix wrote:The girls aren't defined by their disabilities, but I still think it'd be kind of fun to see the tanks reflect them in a positive light.

Lilly's has advanced camouflaged so it's much harder to see, Shizune's guns don't make any sound when they go off making it harder to know where the shots are coming from, Hanako has one half that shoots normally and the other half has some big crazy flamethrower on it, Emi's tank has no treads but instead bounces around sporadically on a giant spring, and Rin's tank is shaped like a jellyfish or something weird just to catch people off-guard.
Hmm I can fulfill some of those wishes.
Well if by advanced camoflauge you are fine with the Shtora system than that is Lilly done. Just smack that on any MBT and go.

I think modern Self propelled guns have some new system that makes no sound when the shell is falling so that is Shizune done (honestly artillery shooting without sound is much more useful than tank's shooting without sound). Just pick one of these modern type SPG's.

If you want a tank that has both a flamethrower and a gun I can give you the OT-34 and OT-34-85. The OT-134 is also there. Pretty sure there are more but I can't remember anything else. Maybe the KV-8 as well but not sure about that. Well anyway that's Hanako done.

Emi has no tank in that case. Just take the M18 Hellcat. It's super fast (can go 90MPH) and has a pretty strong gun.

Finally for Rin's tank. I am pretty sure there are a few more strange tanks that I can come up with but the first that came into my mine was the praying mantis.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ington.jpg
I think the czechs also had a really crazy idea as well but i can't remember it :( Oh well. Anyway that is Rin done.

There I have found all the crazy tanks for the girls.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Yea because the kids at Yamaku can get tanks that never existed and were only written on paper. also the AMX 40 has less armor than the Matilda MK.II (which was made IRL and is a pretty awesome tank in WoT as well). Be careful about the tanks in WoT. Lots of them are paper tanks and some are even made-up (yes there are largely made up tanks in WoT. Waffentrager auf E-100 is a fantastic example).
The Yamaku kids would use whatever tanks they could find. Although personally I would like to see them driving Hungarian or Japanese tanks. GuP focused a lot on German tanks and I found the lack of British and Japanese tanks very dissapointing :( no I am not happy with seeing 4 Matildas and a churchill. Hungarian tanks need some more publicizing. Some of them were quite competitive with the M4 Sherman, Panzer 4 and T-34 designs.
Must we bring up the fact that in Girls und Panzer the Kuromorimine School had a tank that never got past the prototyping stages? Panzer VIII Maus
Yeah, so the "fictional tanks" thing is kind of kaput :p
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.