Adaptive technology

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ARandomSloth

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by ARandomSloth »

I don't think anyone mentioned it but there's a guy in the UK that got a sensor implanted in his skull to allow him to hear colors (he's colorblind). Assuming they can condense it to not stick out as much as his antenna, could possibly produce it for both colorblind and blind people. I'm sure many wouldn't mind being able to have better descriptions on what trees and what not "look" like.
"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena... Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds."
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... ingtonpost

We can go back to the moon now, our mission is complete. We've done it, show's over, pack up your things.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

SpunkySix wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... ingtonpost

We can go back to the moon now, our mission is complete. We've done it, show's over, pack up your things.
No it isn't. Not until this stuff is perfected and marketed in stores. :P
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Looks like Rin will be getting arms in the near future

"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Rhodri wrote:Looks like Rin will be getting arms in the near future

I doubt it. Rin doesn't care.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

I remember seeing one video where an armless woman said that she didn't want prosthetic arms because her feet are her hands and trying to use prosthetic would inherently be clumsier.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Notguest wrote:I remember seeing one video where an armless woman said that she didn't want prosthetic arms because her feet are her hands and trying to use prosthetic would inherently be clumsier.
Yeah, like Charmant implied, she probably wouldn't be interested actually. Unless of course her prosthetics were given a green spark that gave her the ability to bring her drawings to life, but even then she'd probably ignore them most of the time.
ARandomSloth wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned it but there's a guy in the UK that got a sensor implanted in his skull to allow him to hear colors (he's colorblind). Assuming they can condense it to not stick out as much as his antenna, could possibly produce it for both colorblind and blind people. I'm sure many wouldn't mind being able to have better descriptions on what trees and what not "look" like.
Is it insensitive to say that I kind of want to do that just because it would probably be a neat change of pace?
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

SpunkySix wrote:Is it insensitive to say that I kind of want to do that just because it would probably be a neat change of pace?
If it is, there's a whole group of people that have to answer for being insensitive pricks because they'd do something like this just because they could.

I'd do it myself but only if it could be readily switched off because the idea of colors constantly translating to sound is agitating to me. And while it translates color to music notes, I'd prefer a version that lets me pick and choose the instrument as opposed to just pitch noises. Or it could translate colors as specific (swappable, even) music. I imagine black would be a snippet of a Zac Wylde guitar solo. Or a version that translates taste, or texture. The day I can readily cross any of my five senses with any of the others will be a good day.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Charmant wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Is it insensitive to say that I kind of want to do that just because it would probably be a neat change of pace?
If it is, there's a whole group of people that have to answer for being insensitive pricks because they'd do something like this just because they could.

I'd do it myself but only if it could be readily switched off because the idea of colors constantly translating to sound is agitating to me. And while it translates color to music notes, I'd prefer a version that lets me pick and choose the instrument as opposed to just pitch noises. Or it could translate colors as specific (swappable, even) music. I imagine black would be a snippet of a Zac Wylde guitar solo. Or a version that translates taste, or texture. The day I can readily cross any of my five senses with any of the others will be a good day.
Yeah, I've actually heard that raves cause big black blocks to appear in peoples' vision when they have senses like that, so shutting it off might be good sometimes.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

iPad app for the blind — iBrailler

Now the blind can use an iPad to send and receive email, with some nifty innovations.

1. The keyboard draws itself around wherever the user places fingertips on the screen.
2. A clockwise twist motion is 'undo', an anti-clockwise twist is 'redo'.
3. One-click Google access.
4. Multiple braille formats including math/science notation.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Holy Mecha-Lincoln that's cool as hell.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet: A prosthetic arm for kids that is compatible with Lego Mindstorm, so kids can make their own attachments.