Adaptive technology

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
ARandomSloth
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by ARandomSloth » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:45 pm

I don't think anyone mentioned it but there's a guy in the UK that got a sensor implanted in his skull to allow him to hear colors (he's colorblind). Assuming they can condense it to not stick out as much as his antenna, could possibly produce it for both colorblind and blind people. I'm sure many wouldn't mind being able to have better descriptions on what trees and what not "look" like.
"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena... Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds."

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:34 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... ingtonpost

We can go back to the moon now, our mission is complete. We've done it, show's over, pack up your things.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:57 pm

SpunkySix wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... ingtonpost

We can go back to the moon now, our mission is complete. We've done it, show's over, pack up your things.
No it isn't. Not until this stuff is perfected and marketed in stores. :P

User avatar
Rhodri
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:28 pm
Location: The Capital of the Welsh boyo!

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Rhodri » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Looks like Rin will be getting arms in the near future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NOncx2jU0Q
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Rhodri wrote:Looks like Rin will be getting arms in the near future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NOncx2jU0Q
I doubt it. Rin doesn't care.

Notguest
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Notguest » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:46 pm

I remember seeing one video where an armless woman said that she didn't want prosthetic arms because her feet are her hands and trying to use prosthetic would inherently be clumsier.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by SpunkySix » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:31 am

Notguest wrote:I remember seeing one video where an armless woman said that she didn't want prosthetic arms because her feet are her hands and trying to use prosthetic would inherently be clumsier.
Yeah, like Charmant implied, she probably wouldn't be interested actually. Unless of course her prosthetics were given a green spark that gave her the ability to bring her drawings to life, but even then she'd probably ignore them most of the time.
ARandomSloth wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned it but there's a guy in the UK that got a sensor implanted in his skull to allow him to hear colors (he's colorblind). Assuming they can condense it to not stick out as much as his antenna, could possibly produce it for both colorblind and blind people. I'm sure many wouldn't mind being able to have better descriptions on what trees and what not "look" like.
Is it insensitive to say that I kind of want to do that just because it would probably be a neat change of pace?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:29 pm

SpunkySix wrote:Is it insensitive to say that I kind of want to do that just because it would probably be a neat change of pace?
If it is, there's a whole group of people that have to answer for being insensitive pricks because they'd do something like this just because they could.

I'd do it myself but only if it could be readily switched off because the idea of colors constantly translating to sound is agitating to me. And while it translates color to music notes, I'd prefer a version that lets me pick and choose the instrument as opposed to just pitch noises. Or it could translate colors as specific (swappable, even) music. I imagine black would be a snippet of a Zac Wylde guitar solo. Or a version that translates taste, or texture. The day I can readily cross any of my five senses with any of the others will be a good day.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by SpunkySix » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Charmant wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Is it insensitive to say that I kind of want to do that just because it would probably be a neat change of pace?
If it is, there's a whole group of people that have to answer for being insensitive pricks because they'd do something like this just because they could.

I'd do it myself but only if it could be readily switched off because the idea of colors constantly translating to sound is agitating to me. And while it translates color to music notes, I'd prefer a version that lets me pick and choose the instrument as opposed to just pitch noises. Or it could translate colors as specific (swappable, even) music. I imagine black would be a snippet of a Zac Wylde guitar solo. Or a version that translates taste, or texture. The day I can readily cross any of my five senses with any of the others will be a good day.
Yeah, I've actually heard that raves cause big black blocks to appear in peoples' vision when they have senses like that, so shutting it off might be good sometimes.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by bhtooefr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 pm

bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3519
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by brythain » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:46 pm

iPad app for the blind — iBrailler

Now the blind can use an iPad to send and receive email, with some nifty innovations.

1. The keyboard draws itself around wherever the user places fingertips on the screen.
2. A clockwise twist motion is 'undo', an anti-clockwise twist is 'redo'.
3. One-click Google access.
4. Multiple braille formats including math/science notation.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Oscar Wildecat
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 pm
Location: A short drive west of Kingdom Come.

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Oscar Wildecat » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 am

I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.

User avatar
FelOnyx
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by FelOnyx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Holy Mecha-Lincoln that's cool as hell.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.


User avatar
300BillionDegrees
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:53 am

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by 300BillionDegrees » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet: A prosthetic arm for kids that is compatible with Lego Mindstorm, so kids can make their own attachments.

Post Reply