Adaptive technology

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Comrade wrote:So we'll be able to remotely control Humans?
Then what's the point of consumerism and globalization?
Pretty sure that's not quite the goal...But that would be suitably terrifying.

User avatar
Comrade
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Micheal Levi's lyre is real good yo

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Comrade » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:36 pm

"We can now remotely control paralyzed rats: Humans are next"
Not that subtle.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014

User avatar
FelOnyx
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by FelOnyx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Sure, they might intend to hand over the controller to the paralyzed person and really just use it as a medical tool, but odds are 50/50 that this is an Illuminati plot to take over the world. But seriously, this is pretty impressive, and a good first step, but limited control of the legs is probably not the best way to command your evil army, if it can be defeated by just knocking them over.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Comrade wrote:"We can now remotely control paralyzed rats: Humans are next"
Not that subtle.
If it does turn out to be an Illuminati scheme, the solution is simple: Remove your legs. Then get a kickass tricked-out wheelchair and start a resistance.

User avatar
FelOnyx
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by FelOnyx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Charmant wrote:
Comrade wrote:"We can now remotely control paralyzed rats: Humans are next"
Not that subtle.
If it does turn out to be an Illuminati scheme, the solution is simple: Remove your legs. Then get a kickass tricked-out wheelchair and start a resistance.
And as I said, controlled people can be beaten by just knocking them down, which can mean only one thing: VICTORY THROUGH BOWLING! We shall strike down the oppressors!

Wait a minute. Kenji likes bowling. Kenji is fighting a conspiracy. This means it isn't the Illuminati, it's the Feminists! They're already deploying prototype troops, we just haven't seen them because Kenji has always fought them off.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.

User avatar
Comrade
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Micheal Levi's lyre is real good yo

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Comrade » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:29 am

KS SEQUEL CONFIRMED: STRIKE DOWN FEMINIST COMMIENAZIS WITH BALLS!
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Atario » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 am

It's the commienazis without balls ya gotta watch out for, Hisao!
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
Comrade
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Micheal Levi's lyre is real good yo

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Comrade » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:48 am

I meant he's using balls to strike down feminists.

Oh lord god o mighty...
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Atario » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:03 am

Yes. That's the joke.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
Oscar Wildecat
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 pm
Location: A short drive west of Kingdom Come.

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Oscar Wildecat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 am

Wired just put out an article on 3D Printed body parts. At least one or two people in Class 3-3 could make direct use of what's referenced in the article.

And who knows, with a few more advances, Rin may be able to get real life octopi arm extensions. :wink:
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Zarys » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm

There is no a risk to create huge inequalities ? even prothestics like Emi are far to be accessible to everyone. (And really, the quality of life of many disabled already varies many much since their money)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Zarys wrote:There is no a risk to create huge inequalities ? even prothestics like Emi are far to be accessible to everyone. (And really, the quality of life of many disabled already varies many much since their money)
What's the problem with that, exactly? Inequality is inevitable and unavoidable. It's never a reason to avoid progress. Why restrain the potential of technology and otherwise prevent people from improving themselves just for the sake of making everyone else feel more "equal"?

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Zarys » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:48 pm

I still think that people should be more helped for this kind of problems.
Of course we don't must mutilate people to be "equal", but I find this novel a bit weird since the author is american and how the inegalities are high in america, and it's far to be "unevitable and unavoidable" (especially healthcare..and so protesthic reimbursement for example)
You think it's fair that in some countries, Emi would not helped at all to buy her prostheses and would be in a wheelchair ? you know, there is a difference between makes everyone "equals" and had some public services. (And many countries had many much better public services without being communist or ruined, if they are the firsts things to be canceled in times of economic crisis, it's because these are the only things that a country can stop paying if the production is poor, they can't do many much things about it except try to improves the compagnies and industries here, what is difficult, so they raise taxes and direct expenses; but before many countries were successful with excellent public healtcare, public education...it's not a big expense for a country with a normal economy)

It's a strange moral, you think disabled have the right to live normaly, unless they aren't rich ? or treat badly someone because he is disabled is bad, but treat badly someone because he is poor is OK ? :mrgreen:


And for the "problem", it's that maybe, disabled who can buy this kind of stuff would be fine, but the others would lives worser because they would be less helped and less integrated ? who would want to hire someone who is in a wheelchair when you can hire someone who has artificials legs instead ? If it's not already the case, disabled struggles to have a job, except if they are highly qualified (also a question of money in some countries), and if they don't have a job and just a disability allowance (If it's even a thing, in Germany it does not even exist for example) and don't have a family able to help them, they generaly have a very miserable life in all domains.(The social life of a jobless disabled is not very active too, so it's not only economic and they generaly don't have other people around them to compensante their bad situation unlike most of other poor people who can still had a good life in friendship, family and romantic domain..and since wealth is a huge factor in suicide rates, it's not even totaly true)

The issues about social security aren't really separable from the issues about disabled, you knows. (If it's not only because it's incoherent to cares about disabled but not about others disadvantaged people)


And for the thing about "improve himself" is more problematic than what you said, you don't think than if a minority is mentaly and physically improved, they wouldn't use their superiority to exploit their inferiors ? and why an "equal" use of this kind of technology is more necessarily more justifiable than limitation to the richest ? I don't think the world of Harrison Bergeron is more a dystopia than a world ruled by an elit of transhumans. :P
I don't see what is your point here, what is the interest of progress if it's not to try to makes better the life of the greatest possible number of people ? it's also the interest of all society. (Obviously, it's not totaly possible but many inegalities aren't here because it's "impossible" to don't have them)

PS : Are you sure you would say the same things if you were in a another situation ? :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
FelOnyx
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by FelOnyx » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Zarys wrote:I still think that people should be more helped for this kind of problems.
Of course we don't must mutilate people to be "equal", but I find this novel a bit weird since the author is american and how the inegalities are high in america, and it's far to be "unevitable and unavoidable" (especially healthcare..and so protesthic reimbursement for example)
Some Americans, unfortunately, seem to worship our inequalities. :( (usually the ones benefiting from them) So on the contrary, it's to be expected that the author is American.
Zarys wrote: You think it's fair that in some countries, Emi would not helped at all to buy her prostheses and would be in a wheelchair ? you know, there is a difference between makes everyone "equals" and had some public services. (And many countries had many much better public services without being communist or ruined, if they are the firsts things to be canceled in times of economic crisis, it's because these are the only things that a country can stop paying if the production is poor, they can't do many much things about it except try to improves the compagnies and industries here, what is difficult, so they raise taxes and direct expenses; but before many countries were successful with excellent public healtcare, public education...it's not a big expense for a country with a normal economy)

It's a strange moral, you think disabled have the right to live normaly, unless they aren't rich ? or treat badly someone because he is disabled is bad, but treat badly someone because he is poor is OK ? :mrgreen:


And for the "problem", it's that maybe, disabled who can buy this kind of stuff would be fine, but the others would lives worser because they would be less helped and less integrated ? who would want to hire someone who is in a wheelchair when you can hire someone who has artificials legs instead ? If it's not already the case, disabled struggles to have a job, except if they are highly qualified (also a question of money in some countries), and if they don't have a job and just a disability allowance (If it's even a thing, in Germany it does not even exist for example) and don't have a family able to help them, they generaly have a very miserable life in all domains.(The social life of a jobless disabled is not very active too, so it's not only economic and they generaly don't have other people around them to compensante their bad situation unlike most of other poor people who can still had a good life in friendship, family and romantic domain..and since wealth is a huge factor in suicide rates, it's not even totaly true)

The issues about social security aren't really separable from the issues about disabled, you knows. (If it's not only because it's incoherent to cares about disabled but not about others disadvantaged people)


And for the thing about "improve himself" is more problematic than what you said, you don't think than if a minority is mentaly and physically improved, they wouldn't use their superiority to exploit their inferiors ? and why an "equal" use of this kind of technology is more necessarily more justifiable than limitation to the richest ? I don't think the world of Harrison Bergeron is more a dystopia than a world ruled by an elit of transhumans. :P
I don't see what is your point here, what is the interest of progress if it's not to try to makes better the life of the greatest possible number of people ? it's also the interest of all society. (Obviously, it's not totaly possible but many inegalities aren't here because it's "impossible" to don't have them)

PS : Are you sure you would say the same things if you were in a another situation ? :mrgreen:
While I'm sure we can agree that social inequality is not a good thing (nor is being ruled by a small cabal of transhumans :P ) it's not some absolute dichotomy between that and bio-technological progress. We can continue to create new, better replacement limbs and such, while at the same time working to make them cheaper and more available to everyone who needs them.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by Charmant » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Zarys wrote:[many words]
I can't decipher half of this so I'm just going to say "Okay."

Okay.

Post Reply