Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

Post by SpunkySix »

CoffeeDrive wrote:She's happy now though, being able to talk to her family really changed a lot.
Okay, I'm glad. That just about broke my heart...
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

I can say more in ASL! do this with your hands poking them toogether C> <D
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

bhtooefr wrote: Rin would give zero fucks (or be disappointed that her kid didn't have a problem that she hadn't already collected).
Rin's loopy, but she's not a sociopath. I'm sure care about her kid and want them to not be fucked-up, even if she is indifferent to her own fucked-upedness.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
shadowdanman1000

Post by shadowdanman1000 »

someguy1294 wrote:So, something I've been thinking on that the game never really addresses is that assuming Hisao gets happily married and has kids with whichever girl he ends up with after the Good End, child-rearing with a disabled spouse is going to pose some unique problems. It might be easier with Hanako and Emi, who aren't really impeded by their disabilities, but the other girls are going to face different obstacles in motherhood...

-For starters, Rin will never be able to hold her baby. Ever. :cry: If like me, that thought makes you too sad to continue living, picture Hisao assisting Rin in breast-feeding by holding up the baby for her. Both of them are smiling awkwardly, and Hisao is trying not to look at Rin's boobs. Feel better now?
-If Shizune goes to a school play or a recital, she will never be able to hear her child's voice.
-Lily will never be able to see any of her child's finger-paintings or crayon drawings.

Any other thoughts on problems the girls might face as mothers, or how they might overcome them?
Shizune has a cellphone.
That is all.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Yes, but cell phones can be used for texting, as well as internet access.

(In fact, at least one cellular carrier here in the US offers a cellular service specifically for deaf, hearing impaired, and speech impeded people that has no voice calling capability, but consists of smartphones with IP Relay software loaded, along with unlimited SMS and data. For the longest time, it used to be popular with hearing/speaking people who didn't talk on the phone (because it's far cheaper than the voice plans with similar SMS and data capability), although it seems now they're requiring proof of disability.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

I agree with Hanako beeing an overreacting parent, but i think that would be all, i don't think the child would say something bad like why are you ugly, because i believe that if the child grows seeing her scared like that all the time, it would seem normal for him/her(the baby) and accept it that way, plus her scars arent THAT visible since i''m guessing she would keep them covered with her hair (its possible :P )

I think Rin would see a baby as a curiosity rather than her offspring, i don't think she could grab that notion of being motherly, at least not like a normal mother would, not to mention there are normal people who get kids and not want them so they leave them at orphanages and worse...so someone who's way of thinking and doing things is not normal i doubt she will have a normal approach to raising a baby, with hisao's extensive help it might be possible tho. another point is that rin wouldn't know how to show normal love to her child, so the child might end up growing and thinking that rin doesn't love them like other parents/mothers do

Emi would be a great mother in my opinion, i don't see any serios problems with her disability in raising a child:P

Shizune...hmm...since she has been deaf since she was born, not having the notion of sound wouldn't be so sad about not hearing something that she doesn't comprehend. IF she was able to hear and an accident caused her deafness, well than it would be the opposite:P, as a mother she will most probably the competitive type of parent that forces the child to be the best around everyone which like in family vs family movies, we know that's a bad thing, i hope:))

Lilly would be something like shizune in my opinion, she NEVER knew or understood the meaning of seeing, it's an alien concept for her, she doesn't know what collors are, imagining how a blind person would feel an object they wouldn't really understand how it is like those who see it (hmm it's hard to explain...), yeah she has a higher tactile senses but she still doesn't know (i'm speculating here) how the things she's touching are. so what im trying to say, the fact that she wouldn't be able to see her childs drawings or creations wouldnt affect her extreemly much. than again, there was also a scene in KS where Lilly and Hisao went to a walk (i think it was to the grocery store), Hisao saw a great view and said the view was great, then remembered that Lilly doesn't see and felt bad, after which he asked if not beeing able to see is bothersome for her because she cannot experience these kind of stuff (or something like that). and Lilly said to Hisao something like, what do you mean? you just described it to me (which despite not knowing what beautifull green fields/forests look like, it showed that she can still experience something similar to what hisao had when seeing the view)....does that make sense? :(
Last edited by Kibaro on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

It's spelled Lilly, for what it's worth. The VN is natively in English (and it'd be Riri if you were going with a English->kana->romaji corruption on purpose).
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

bhtooefr wrote:It's spelled Lilly, for what it's worth. The VN is natively in English (and it'd be Riri if you were going with a English->kana->romaji corruption on purpose).
nah, i'm just lazy to write absolutely everything corectly (which would take maybe tripple the time), and i just got used to calling her Lili, so didn't really notice the second vertical stripe in her name:))
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Kibaro wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:It's spelled Lilly, for what it's worth. The VN is natively in English (and it'd be Riri if you were going with a English->kana->romaji corruption on purpose).
nah, i'm just lazy to write absolutely everything corectly (which would take maybe tripple the time), and i just got used to calling her Lili, so didn't really notice the second vertical stripe in her name:))
If I were you, id try break out the habit, names are pretty important to get right, otherwise ill have to start referring to her as リリー.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

bhtooefr wrote:Yes, but cell phones can be used for texting, as well as internet access.

(In fact, at least one cellular carrier here in the US offers a cellular service specifically for deaf, hearing impaired, and speech impeded people that has no voice calling capability, but consists of smartphones with IP Relay software loaded, along with unlimited SMS and data. For the longest time, it used to be popular with hearing/speaking people who didn't talk on the phone (because it's far cheaper than the voice plans with similar SMS and data capability), although it seems now they're requiring proof of disability.)
With more and more wifi hotspots, I know quite a few Deaf people who live in the city and use iPod touches because iMessage is free to all other iOS devices, and there's plenty of other good free IM apps that just need a data connection.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
If I were you, id try break out the habit, names are pretty important to get right, otherwise ill have to start referring to her as リリー.
because you're my best friend, i corrected it just for you :x *mwuah*
Last edited by Kibaro on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Kibaro wrote: I think Rin would see a baby as a curiosity rather than her offspring, i don't think she could grab that notion of being motherly, at least not like a normal mother would, not to mention there are normal people who get kids and not want them so they leave them at orphanages and worse...so someone who's way of thinking and doing things is not normal i doubt she will have a normal approach to raising a baby, with hisao's extensive help it might be possible tho. another point is that rin wouldn't know how to show normal love to her child, so the child might end up growing and thinking that rin doesn't love them like other parents/mothers do
Wow. What do you think Rin is? An alien who cannot comprehend emotion? Have you even gone down her route? This is just a pure insult towards Rin.
This is horribly wrong for so many reasons. Rin isn't even that strage! At most she has a very mild form of autism/aspergers/PDD-NOS.
Do you honestly think that people who are not normal (and are mentally disabled) are unable of showing proper love and attention? Do you think that because normal people can be stupid, mentally disabled people must all be stupid retards that cannot help society in any way? Do you think that the moment somebody steps out of the realm of what you consider 'normal' they are incapable of showing love properly, cannot care for children and need "extensive help" to do anything?
Just to let you know, that is what you are implying. Or quite simply stating.
Rin would be a fine mother who would care for her child like any other good parent. She may have problems showing expression (she is autistic IMO) but she managed to show enough to Hisao to tell him that she truly loves him. I am sure that she will manage to take care of the child.

I always imagine Hisao being the househusband while Rin works and sells her art. Rin could easily make a fortune of what she paints considering how remarkably successful her art has already been at such a young age. I wouldn't be surprised if they lived in a mansion or something.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

Forever_ambivalent wrote: Wow. What do you think Rin is? An alien who cannot comprehend normal emotion? Have you even gone down her route? This is just a pure insult towards Rin.
This is horribly wrong for so many reasons. Rin isn't even that strange!
Do you honestly think that people who are not normal (and are mentally disabled) are unable of showing proper love and attention? Do you think that because normal people can be stupid, mentally disabled people must all be stupid retards that cannot help society in any way? Do you think that the moment somebody steps out of the realm of what you consider 'normal' they are incapable of showing love properly, cannot care for children and need "extensive help" to do anything?
Just to let you know, that is what you are implying. Or quite simply stating.
Rin would be a fine mother who would care for her child like any other good parent. She may have problems showing expression (she is autistic IMO) but she managed to show enough to Hisao to tell him that she truly loves him. I am sure that she will manage to take care of the child.

I always imagine Hisao being the househusband while Rin works and sells her art. Rin could easily make a fortune of what she paints considering how remarkably successful
her art has already been at such a young age. I wouldn't be surprised if they lived in a mansion or something.
first of all this is just my personal opinion and how I see rin, i didn't insult rin, at least no intentionally, also you feel this bad because you're a rinfan and i understand that. you should also accept the idea that not everyone is made to be a parent.

also i didn't say she is mentally disabeled (at least when i said the ADHD thing i didn't mean it like she's hit in the head). i didn't say that abnormal people cannot show proper love, also when i said that i doubt she will have a normal approach to raising a baby i didnt mean that she is incapable, just the her approace would be totally different than what a normal person might expect (idk how to word it >_< )

also from how rin thinks, talks, behaves, i found her normally set to uncaring, she shows feelings (that she doesnt even understand at first or what they are) at the end, but her normal self i see as a carefree person who get's sidetracked every 10 seconds (but thats just me) and who cannot focus on what you are talking for a longer period of time. when i say "not normal people" i dont mind inferior to us, just extreemly different (which i dont take it as a bad thing, not in rin's case anyway), and rin would need alot of help with a child if you ask me(besides not having arms), and maybe i used the wrong word when i said extensive, anyway a lot of help still seems acceptable to me, which Hisao wouldn't do out of pity anyway, just out of love if it was the case.

i still doubt that rin would care for a child like a normal mother would (again not insulting her, just how i see it), and she showed him her feelings which if he didn't continued to look for past the time where most guys would just give up on her, she would've just let things stay as they were.

and most artists don't really survive in todays world unless they get lucky with a good manager and people who happen to stumble across their work. also rin is not that materialistic as to choose a mansion:P just those extreeme excentric artists who just want to stand out and to show off (also, just my opinion)

so yeah, please don't hate on me, everything i said was just as how i saw things, i don't say that what i think is 100% correct, but i also can't say that you managed to convince me either, sorry:( i still hope we can get along despite this...misunderstanding (i think thats how its spelled)
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Kibaro wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:
Kibaro wrote: [Rin Insult]
[Counter Argument]
[Counter Counter Argument]
I dont believe Rin is autistic, but she definetly has a large case of Alexthymia (Emotional Blindness) Which is a little misleading in itself, Since its more the inability to recognise and exhibit ones emotions within themselves and others, but they still "Feel".

Rin would make a fine mother, she wouldnt see her kid as a "Curiosity" She would love them like any mother would, and with Hisao's help in caring for the child, they would be a fine couple.

Throughout her route, she does "Care" about the things that happen, but she dosent know how to show it other than her paintings, which is what the entire damn act 3 is centered around. If you then continue on, past her bad ending (Which is where hisao dosent understand this) you realise Rin really does care about everything, but she dosent know how to show it. And as such, (In my opinion) Hisao starts to help her express herself throughout their relationship.

Rin would be as good a mother as any of the girls. Probably a better one than Hanako, who i personally believe would be way to worried about her kid not accepting her (However i also think that if the kid was with hisao, she wouldve become a much stronger person by then, but im ignoring that for now) to be an effective mother.

Sorry man, but you really hit a nerve on me there.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
I dont believe Rin is autistic, but she definetly has a large case of Alexthymia (Emotional Blindness) Which is a little misleading in itself, Since its more the inability to recognise and exhibit ones emotions within themselves and others, but they still "Feel".

Rin would make a fine mother, she wouldnt see her kid as a "Curiosity" She would love them like any mother would, and with Hisao's help in caring for the child, they would be a fine couple.

Throughout her route, she does "Care" about the things that happen, but she dosent know how to show it other than her paintings, which is what the entire damn act 3 is centered around. If you then continue on, past her bad ending (Which is where hisao dosent understand this) you realise Rin really does care about everything, but she dosent know how to show it. And as such, (In my opinion) Hisao starts to help her express herself throughout their relationship.

Rin would be as good a mother as any of the girls. Probably a better one than Hanako, who i personally believe would be way to worried about her kid not accepting her (However i also think that if the kid was with hisao, she wouldve become a much stronger person by then, but im ignoring that for now) to be an effective mother.

Sorry man, but you really hit a nerve on me there.
it's ok, it's just my point of view, and also being able to care but not being able to show it, for most people means you dont care...what's the point in caring if others can't even see that (you're the only one who knows that and despite that being good, it doesnt help in social life does it?)