Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

someguy1294

Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

Post by someguy1294 »

So, something I've been thinking on that the game never really addresses is that assuming Hisao gets happily married and has kids with whichever girl he ends up with after the Good End, child-rearing with a disabled spouse is going to pose some unique problems. It might be easier with Hanako and Emi, who aren't really impeded by their disabilities, but the other girls are going to face different obstacles in motherhood...

-For starters, Rin will never be able to hold her baby. Ever. :cry: If like me, that thought makes you too sad to continue living, picture Hisao assisting Rin in breast-feeding by holding up the baby for her. Both of them are smiling awkwardly, and Hisao is trying not to look at Rin's boobs. Feel better now?
-If Shizune goes to a school play or a recital, she will never be able to hear her child's voice.
-Lily will never be able to see any of her child's finger-paintings or crayon drawings.

Any other thoughts on problems the girls might face as mothers, or how they might overcome them?
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
SpunkySix

Re: Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

Post by SpunkySix »

I do know that if Shizune's child ever played an instrument, she might still be able to feel its vibrations. Deaf people actually tend to frequent concerts for that reason.

As for other things... it's an interesting thought. I'd like to hear all of their approaches to explaining what happened. Especially Rin's.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Rin can easily hold her baby. Crossed legged, sitting on the floor, baby in the crook of her legs.

Edited to eliminate redundancy.
Last edited by KeiichiO on Tue May 27, 2014 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

KeiichiO wrote:Rin can easily hold her baby in her legs. Crossed legged, sitting on the floor, baby in the crook of her legs.
True, she can do the leg-hug... but she still can't carry her child, which is a bummer.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
brythain

Post by brythain »

someguy1294 wrote:So, something I've been thinking on that the game never really addresses is that assuming Hisao gets happily married and has kids with whichever girl he ends up with after the Good End, child-rearing with a disabled spouse is going to pose some unique problems. It might be easier with Hanako and Emi, who aren't really impeded by their disabilities, but the other girls are going to face different obstacles in motherhood...

-For starters, Rin will never be able to hold her baby. Ever. :cry: If like me, that thought makes you too sad to continue living, picture Hisao assisting Rin in breast-feeding by holding up the baby for her. Both of them are smiling awkwardly, and Hisao is trying not to look at Rin's boobs. Feel better now?
-If Shizune goes to a school play or a recital, she will never be able to hear her child's voice.
-Lily will never be able to see any of her child's finger-paintings or crayon drawings.

Any other thoughts on problems the girls might face as mothers, or how they might overcome them?
A cradle-sling might help with Rin. But seriously, these things are sad for those who don't have such limitations; those who are born think of it as a natural state. I mean, sure, some alien might be able to see from hard UV to microwaves in the EM spectrum, and have telekinesis, but we are fine (well, reasonably so) without these abilities. The alien would pity the heck out of us, though.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I don't see why that would really bother them much. Lilly's never been able to see anything. She doesn't know what seeing is even like. The same goes for Shizune and hearing. They've been doing fine so far, so I don't see why they'd suddenly be bothered by these things now.
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:So, something I've been thinking on that the game never really addresses is that assuming Hisao gets happily married and has kids with whichever girl he ends up with after the Good End, child-rearing with a disabled spouse is going to pose some unique problems. It might be easier with Hanako and Emi, who aren't really impeded by their disabilities, but the other girls are going to face different obstacles in motherhood...

A cradle-sling might help with Rin. But seriously, these things are sad for those who don't have such limitations; those who are born think of it as a natural state.
Especially Rin, come to think of it. She barely seems to notice her lack of arms, let alone think of it as a disability.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

brythain wrote:

A cradle-sling might help with Rin.
I was going to make that point, but then my internet went full stupid person. (See what I did there? Disabilities aren't something to joke about)

But yeah, it'd be all the more challenging, and Hisao would definitely need to be an active father, but I can see Rin as a wonderful mommy. I think having a child would probably bring Rin closer to the "real world".
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Rin, mother? Never. Orphans are her offspring. :lol: "hi...... im bob...... what did your biological creator give you for you general identification?" Monotone
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Yeah, I don't think any of the girls seem to have any issues with their disabilities, and it wouldn't likely cause any issues with child-rearing (Hanako might have some issues with child-bearing because of the scars, but that's another point entirely)

someguy1294 wrote:picture Hisao assisting Rin in breast-feeding by holding up the baby for her. Both of them are smiling awkwardly, and Hisao is trying not to look at Rin's boobs.
Why would he try to not look at her boobs? He's already seen her naked and since the kid is in existence at this point in time, they've had sex enough times for that. I mean there's politeness and then there's overkill :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Oddball wrote:
I don't see why that would really bother them much. Lilly's never been able to see anything. She doesn't know what seeing is even like. The same goes for Shizune and hearing. They've been doing fine so far, so I don't see why they'd suddenly be bothered by these things now.
It's implying they will be affected by the desire for social normalcy, which, yes, they've been fine in dealing with for a majority of their lives. However, I'm sure it would vary per person - since motherhood must/might change a lot of things.

On one hand, you don't know what it's like to be missing out on anything (because you're 'not'), and on the other, you're potentially being cut off from a certain degree of your child's life. However minuscule the degree in question, it could still have some sentimental value.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Steinherz wrote:Yeah, I don't think any of the girls seem to have any issues with their disabilities, and it wouldn't likely cause any issues with child-rearing (Hanako might have some issues with child-bearing because of the scars, but that's another point entirely)
I actually suspect Hanako could have trouble with child-rearing, too. Not the actual physical care of children - she canonically even has experience with raising children from the orphanage, I'd guess infants and toddlers - but the psychological side of things. Specifically, I could see her having huge problems as soon as her kid was of elementary school age - the age at which bullying destroyed her mentally.

One thing I was playing with was that she has a phobia of having children, even though she's fine with other people's children, for that exact reason. She knows she can get away from someone else's kid if they're a little shit, but her own, her life becomes a living hell.

Also, re: Rin...

She knows her attempts at hugging without arms are pathetic.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

bhtooefr wrote:
Steinherz wrote:Yeah, I don't think any of the girls seem to have any issues with their disabilities, and it wouldn't likely cause any issues with child-rearing (Hanako might have some issues with child-bearing because of the scars, but that's another point entirely)
I actually suspect Hanako could have trouble with child-rearing, too. Not the actual physical care of children - she canonically even has experience with raising children from the orphanage, I'd guess infants and toddlers - but the psychological side of things. Specifically, I could see her having huge problems as soon as her kid was of elementary school age - the age at which bullying destroyed her mentally.

One thing I was playing with was that she has a phobia of having children, even though she's fine with other people's children, for that exact reason. She knows she can get away from someone else's kid if they're a little shit, but her own, her life becomes a living hell.
Remember Hanako's Bad End? AKA: Hanako goes Nuclear on Hisao?
Yeah.

Now imagine if one of her future child's classmates started bullying them. "Oh shit, Mom" doesn't cut it. A pissed-off Mama Bear is a very scary thing, and it's doubtful that Hanako would allow that to continue since she knows what it was like (I am now imagining Hanako flipping shit at an eight-year-old with Hisao trying in vain to get her to calm down :lol: )
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Oh, I'd be surprised if she didn't go full-on Misstep-level (or WORSE) mama bear (and proceed to be shunned herself because she wasn't polite about it or some shit like that - I also figure, especially if she talks to Akira enough, that she'll eventually pick up elements of Akira's, "if they don't like it, they can go fuck themselves" attitude).

But if her own kid is bullying her... I think she might have enough of a fear of that happening to never have kids. Plus, if it's with Hisao, there is the whole, long QT being a hereditary disease, factor - that is, she might use it to rationalize not having kids even though if it weren't for her fear, she'd do it in a heartbeat (heh).

Which actually brings up another point... what if the kid has long QT? "Mommy, why can't I play soccer?"
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:"Mommy, why can't I play soccer?"
"Well, when a few potential mommies and a daddy really love each other, but the daddy picks the shy girl with scars over the runner girl who could teach their child to do intense physical activity without going too far, and they really love each other even though HE PICKED THE WRONG ONE, they have a child together, and their genes mix, which makes a kid WHO ISN'T AS GOOD AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN."

No, but in all seriousness, that's sad. That sort of exclusion can hurt, even if it's just something physical causing it.