Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

Post by Potato »

azumeow wrote:I can imagine the most heartwarming, adorable scene coming from this question. Just think about it: Hisao and their kid are playing, when their son/daughter asks him why mom doesn't have arms. I'm not sure it was ever brought up in KS (the reason, that is. They really just accept it) and Hisao replies, "Ya know, I never really thought about that. She just doesn't. I never saw it as that strange, to be honest."

Huh. Wait. What if Rin's attitude and behavior are a coping mechanism? Get people to think SHE'S weird so they don't think her stub-arms are weird? Has this been brought up before? I wonder..
Except that wouldn't work. Her being weird and her stubs being weird are not even remotely mutually exclusive.

And the VN brought it up as a birth defect or something, I think. It wasn't dwelled upon but as I recall, she was born with deformed limbs that were amputated after they proved useless and unfixable. The original sketch specified it further as the result of Thalidomide, a drug allegedly developed by the Third Reich in attempts to counteract nerve agents and marketed as a sleep aid, morning sickness cure, and other stuff...Until the rate of babies born with severe limb deformity skyrocketed.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

azumeow wrote:I can imagine the most heartwarming, adorable scene coming from this question. Just think about it: Hisao and their kid are playing, when their son/daughter asks him why mom doesn't have arms. I'm not sure it was ever brought up in KS (the reason, that is. They really just accept it) and Hisao replies, "Ya know, I never really thought about that. She just doesn't. I never saw it as that strange, to be honest."
Here's another one, Hisao's and Rin's daughter keeps doing things with her feet and not her hands because "mommie uses her feet and mommie is the bestest!"
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:
Here's another one, Hisao's and Rin's daughter keeps doing things with her feet and not her hands because "mommie uses her feet and mommie is the bestest!"
Too. Much. NICENESS.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:
OH GAWD MY FEELS.

Has anyone written a 'Life with Rin' fan-fic where this happens yet? Because someone needs to write this.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

someguy1294 wrote:
Oscar Wildecat wrote:
OH GAWD MY FEELS.

Has anyone written a 'Life with Rin' fan-fic where this happens yet? Because :arrow: someone needs to write this.
Careful there.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Alternate version: Hisao looks over at Rin with a bewildered expression and says, "Wait. Rin, you don't have arms?"
Huh. Wait. What if Rin's attitude and behavior are a coping mechanism? Get people to think SHE'S weird so they don't think her stub-arms are weird? Has this been brought up before? I wonder..
Now that's one of the most intriguing alternative character interpretations I've seen in a while. Food for thought. Could make for an interesting fanfic, at least.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

emmjay wrote:
Now that's one of the most intriguing alternative character interpretations I've seen in a while. Food for thought. Could make for an interesting fanfic, at least.
It is interesting, but before we get out of hand with this, remember, she agonizes over trying to learn to communicate better with Hisao. Either she's insanely manipulative, or she actually is just as weird as she comes off as. Take your pick.
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

SpunkySix wrote:
emmjay wrote:
It is interesting, but before we get out of hand with this, remember, she agonizes over trying to learn to communicate better with Hisao. Either she's insanely manipulative, or she actually is just as weird as she comes off as. Take your pick.
Ya see, that is a good point that I completely forgot because I haven't don Rin's route in a long time and even then I didn't like her. Weeelllll, blah.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

I apologize if this counts as a necro, but eh.

Disclaimer: Not a parent, nor am I a professional in psychology or anything of the sort. Just giving my own opinion. I also haven't played through all the routes, so I'll be discussing individual issues rather than the characters themselves mostly, aside from Hanako, who I finished. Onto business.

Prff..... thinking about this has made me rather sad and intrigued. I'm almost tempted to go around asking people this sorta thing, but I don't know many disabled people aside from basic psychological deficits in my friends, but almost everyone has a chink in the armor, so to speak.

Operating without flesh legs may be interesting to think about, but I don't think it would affect rearing the child too much. In fact, it may make them more open to the idea of human augmentation and limb replacement, which isn't too bad in the long run unless she gets hideous piercings (cheeks, nose, mouth, etc. Think Gauges not rings.) and the only problem I can think off is perhaps kids insulting the offspring about the mother's limits, but if they didn't have that, they'd inevitably find something worse. Of course, the talk may get awkward between Emi/Hisao and the child :wink:

As OP said, lack of arms may make holding the baby hard, and breast feeding would also be difficult. I'd imagine some variation of the baby bjorn exists in Japan, so it wouldn't be too hard for the child to be carried by the parent. Of course, the partner could very well just do most of the carrying, and we know from a special someone that object manipulation with legs is quite possible with practice. Breast feeding may be accomplished kitty-style, with the female on her side and the child on its stomach, or perhaps a bit like milking a cow/harvesting bottles of milk. (I should just start making an post script with akll the fanfic hooks I spawn, seriously.) where the child or male "milks" the female to drink/store breast milk. Side effects may include the child growing up more used to bodily openness, but I doubt it. Of course, public breast feeding may be a problem for Hisao in terms of embarrassment, but I'd imagine Rin wouldn't mind the idea, or they could just store it before a trip.

A blind female represents a possible but unlikely danger to the offspring's safety, but I'd imagine that locational awareness would be good enough to perform basic acts of breastfeeding and nurturing if it had been a rather distant that caused the blindness, and the male could help breast-feeding if necessary, either by bottling or directional guiding. It may lead to the child being a bit less reliant on visual cues as description goes, due to the female not describing by looks, and also I'd imagine that the offspring may vocalize more since that is the only way to communicate properly with their mother, something very important early in life. (Perhaps we now know why Misha has some of the less attractive qualities of an air-raid siren...) It is also quite possible, as stated before, that a blind parent may accidentally step on or otherwise not see the offspring, leading to an accident of some kind. However, with proper care and planning, the risk could be mitigated to a below zero percentage, I think. (Not a doctor, just a guy with a keyboard)

A deaf female would present only a couple of issues with child rearing, namely not being able to hear calls for help or similar internal notations, but that could also be resolved with some baby monitors of some sort. It would also not aid in the child's lingual development, however, seeing as it takes two to summon a stork, the male would most likely be able to provide both ASL and English training early in life, perhaps even making them simultaneous reactions to interactions. I couldn't really imagine any other hindrances, but my entire family is introverted so words are only exchanged when needed, and we don't live in a sonically active town either, so I can only say that it may make some culture shock when the child gets introduced to Music etc, but the male could very well stop that.

A physically marred female... presents some difficulties I have no idea what to speak to. Perhaps the child would grow up accepting of other people and their bodies, taking an interest in tattoos from an early age and perhaps being more accepting of that sort of thing.

Hanako's raising of children: As you all have said, it would most likely revolve around over-protectiveness mitigated by her interactions with Lilly and Hisao. (Am I the only one with the Headcanon of the fire happening on or around her birthday?) I think she would also be shy around her child, perhaps prone to withdrawing when the child becomes emotional, or snapping in anger. Without going into highly emotional and theoretical topics about the subject, I also think that she may seek home or private schooling in lieu of the public schools. (American, excuse me if it is different anywhere else, willing to do research for translation for similar concepts in other regions. It's late when I write this.) Furthermore, I suspect she'd be very critical of any actions taken by her child she disapproved of, but may not directly speak to them, leading to a sitcom-esque situation where it all comes out on wedding night for the offspring etc. My Hisao would not likely be much help in the whole of over-protectiveness, I was bullied as well, so I'm a bit over reactive to the topic when it comes to other suffering because of it.

All of this was written at roughly 12:20-12:40 by a self proclaimed crepuscular INTJ, and as such is subject to both unwillful ignorance on the subject matter and plain dumb wording of ideas. Please debate with me if you feel compelled to, I find it entertaining, but be aware I am stubborn and may not back down on the stated opinions. Take all information stated before this paragraph as an opinion among many, so don't kill me. *eep*
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I think there might be difficulties, but they would be all good mothers.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Zarys wrote:I think there might be difficulties, but they would be all good mothers.
Except Lily, who would become an alcoholic at the stress of raising children and eventually snap and burn the house down.

Sorry.

Actually I'm not.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:
Zarys wrote:I think there might be difficulties, but they would be all good mothers.
Except Lily, who would become an alcoholic at the stress of raising children and eventually snap and burn the house down.

Sorry.

Actually I'm not.
Go away, Katie. :|
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

someguy1294 wrote:

Sorry.

Actually I'm not.

I wonder how Hanako would takes the fact that Lilly burned by negligence (if not fatally, scarified like Hanako) her own child.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Zarys wrote: I wonder how Hanako would takes the fact that Lilly burned by negligence (if not fatally, scarified like Hanako) her own child.
She'd see the humour in it :P
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I doubt it.
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise