Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2894
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Oddball » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 pm

YutoTheOrc wrote:What's cooking? Lets hope we don't burn anything lol....I'm a terrible person :(

Anyway Jokes aside, I'm fairly certain that unless their third degree burns, the hair follicles wont be damaged. Although I don't think the devs were all that clear on Hanako's level of burns. Third degree would be most likely, but second degree might be possible as well. "Third-degree burns are the most serious because they affect all the layers of skin, and they often cause permanent tissue and nerve damage, which can cause the injury to be relatively painless. Skin burned this badly can look white, black or brown, and it will not heal without extensive scarring."(http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-ca ... burns2.htm)

I read an article were doctors grew hair back even after the girl was burned. If you want to check it out, here it is:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... scalp.html
That actually reminds me of some of the early character sketches they did. At one point, Hanako was going to require a crutch to help her get around.
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Potato » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm

That would have been even more depressing...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
Pyramid Head
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Silent Hill

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Pyramid Head » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:46 am

YutoTheOrc wrote:What's cooking? Lets hope we don't burn anything lol....I'm a terrible person :(

Anyway Jokes aside, I'm fairly certain that unless their third degree burns, the hair follicles wont be damaged. Although I don't think the devs were all that clear on Hanako's level of burns. Third degree would be most likely, but second degree might be possible as well. "Third-degree burns are the most serious because they affect all the layers of skin, and they often cause permanent tissue and nerve damage, which can cause the injury to be relatively painless. Skin burned this badly can look white, black or brown, and it will not heal without extensive scarring."(http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-ca ... burns2.htm)

I read an article were doctors grew hair back even after the girl was burned. If you want to check it out, here it is:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... scalp.html

They actually kind of did. Some of Hisao's descriptions of Hanako's burns around her back mentioned signs of skin grafts and poorly healed damage to muscle and subcutaneous fat. She did have third degree burns on her back, hence my theory that the damage spread but that it wasn't as bad as what the scars alone suggest. Also while this isn't explicitly stated, my head cannon is that Hanako has problems moving her right arm.

Though yeah, as OddBall mentioned, the Hanako route was, from what i could tell, initially going to be darker before the writers began to get their shit together. Plans included Hanako being blind in one eye and needing a crutch due to damage to her leg, and for some reason that kind of baffled me they originally planned to have Hanako become pregnant during the course of things (Something i need to correct TVTropes on since they insist this ending is still implied), until finally they made a major factor of the story the idea that the help Hanako needed was more support rather than intervention. One of the things i like about the Lilly arc is the implication that Hanako improved even more in Lilly's arc while Hisao was somebody else's problem. She made new friends, found a passion in traveling and writing, and overall seemed to cope with Lilly's possible departure much better than Hisao. That's kind of why she's my favorite character, even though you can very easily understand why she is what she is at the beginning, you do see signs of what she would have been like had the accident never happened.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Atario » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:41 am

Pyramid Head wrote:the implication that Hanako improved even more in Lilly's arc while Hisao was somebody else's problem.
We don't know that, though. Hanako's own route ends before Lilly ever even gets back from Scotland. Had the story continued, Hanako might have improved better/faster than she does on Lilly's route.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by brythain » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:07 am

Atario wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:the implication that Hanako improved even more in Lilly's arc while Hisao was somebody else's problem.
We don't know that, though. Hanako's own route ends before Lilly ever even gets back from Scotland. Had the story continued, Hanako might have improved better/faster than she does on Lilly's route.
Actually Hanako improves better/faster when Hisao is on Lilly's route.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by bhtooefr » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 am

That's debatable - we don't see much of her development until after Lilly comes back, and her own route ends before Lilly comes back.

(And then, there's the possibility that she's faking development to stay out of Lilly and Hisao's way, but then there's a matter of her faking it until she makes it.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Guest Poster » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:03 am

Actually Hanako improves better/faster when Hisao is on Lilly's route.
Not when you compare the two routes side by side at the same moment in time.

Hanako's route a few days after her birthday: Has gone into the city of her own a few days earlier, started a romantic relationship with a classmate and managed to entrust another person with some of her deeper issues, like the reason behind her birthday depression and more importantly her difficulty in trusting other people, particularly her friends, so those issues can be taken account in the future.

Lilly's route a few days after her birthday: Still pretty much the same as always and even after she joins the newspaper club, her deeper issues are never brought up or addressed.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by brythain » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 am

Guest Poster wrote:
Actually Hanako improves better/faster when Hisao is on Lilly's route.
Not when you compare the two routes side by side at the same moment in time.

Hanako's route a few days after her birthday: Has gone into the city of her own a few days earlier, started a romantic relationship with a classmate and managed to entrust another person with some of her deeper issues, like the reason behind her birthday depression and more importantly her difficulty in trusting other people, particularly her friends, so those issues can be taken account in the future.

Lilly's route a few days after her birthday: Still pretty much the same as always and even after she joins the newspaper club, her deeper issues are never brought up or addressed.
That's purely a POV thing. Clearly if you say who that classmate is, the argument is exposed.

Edit: I seem to remember you arguing this exact point some time ago. But to be fair, Lilly's routes are pretty much the same except for the extension to a happy ending, whereas Hanako's routes hinge on her relationship with Hisao in more complex ways. You could even think of Lilly's routes as the extensions of an alternative neutral Hanako non-route. Without delving into impossible psychoanalysis (since Hanako-insight is less forthcoming in Lilly's route), all we can pretty much say is that Lilly goes away, outcome should be Hanako without her 'mother-figure' but with someone who is clearly her friend at the end of Lilly's neutral ending. The 'good' Lilly ending would then be less good for Hanako, I suppose.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Guest Poster » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am

That's purely a POV thing. Clearly if you say who that classmate is, the argument is exposed.
I don't really see how mentioning that Hisao is that classmate invalidates the argument at all. The point is still that when putting the routes side by side, Hanako starts improving sooner in her own route than in Lilly's, where she doesn't really start reaching out until after Lilly returned to Japan.

I know I've made that argument several times before. That's because I still consider it a valid one.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by brythain » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Guest Poster wrote:
That's purely a POV thing. Clearly if you say who that classmate is, the argument is exposed.
I don't really see how mentioning that Hisao is that classmate invalidates the argument at all. The point is still that when putting the routes side by side, Hanako starts improving sooner in her own route than in Lilly's, where she doesn't really start reaching out until after Lilly returned to Japan.

I know I've made that argument several times before. That's because I still consider it a valid one.
I agree that it's valid, but my point is that arguments based on 'in Hanako's route we see more of Hanako's mind but in Lilly's route we see less of it' are less meaningful because Hisao's focus must necessarily be on Hanako in Hanako's route and on Lilly in Lilly's route. More telling is that all Hanako's serious character development as we see it depends on whether Hisao decided to follow Lilly's advice or not. If he doesn't, there's an end to it.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Atario » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Regardless of "seeing more of her mind", we see her actions. By the time Lilly's about to return from Scotland, Hanako is either just about the same as always with perhaps some minor improvement, or else has made several significant personal advances, depending on whether it's her good ending or Lilly's route we're on.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Potato » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Hanako's better off in her own route.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
Munchenhausen
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Munchenhausen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:44 am

Potato wrote:Hanako's better off in her own route.
Considering that's the only one she got a boyfriend in, yeah :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:52 am

Munchenhausen wrote:
Potato wrote:Hanako's better off in her own route.
Considering that's the only one she got a boyfriend in, yeah :lol:
But that's also the one where she's forced to wear a wig. :wink:
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Potato » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Munchenhausen wrote:
Potato wrote:Hanako's better off in her own route.
Considering that's the only one she got a boyfriend in, yeah :lol:
...Oh, if this were a feminist's tumblr-cave, you'd really regret that post. :lol: Not at all the implication I was going for. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

Post Reply