Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Why Hanako Must Be Wearing A Wig

Post by Potato »

I can picture Hanako easily enough...I just automatically picture her as white because characters in anime (or anime-style things) rarely look all that Japanese. :lol:

True story: Prior to playing KS, I found a guy on Youtube who suggested Misha's "disability" was cancer and the drills were a wig.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Potato wrote:
True story: Prior to playing KS, I found a guy on Youtube who suggested Misha's "disability" was cancer and the drills were a wig.
That used to be a fairly popular theory, pre-release.
Not Dead Yet
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:I can picture Hanako easily enough...I just automatically picture her as white because characters in anime (or anime-style things) rarely look all that Japanese. :lol:

Yes, even Hanako not look at all asian. (Even if she is the only one to have realistic hair color for a japanase) :mrgreen:

Why anime-style characters looks like more caucasian than asiatic, in fact ?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Potato

Post by Potato »

Zarys wrote:
Potato wrote:I can picture Hanako easily enough...I just automatically picture her as white because characters in anime (or anime-style things) rarely look all that Japanese. :lol:

Yes, even Hanako not look at all asian. (Even if she is the only one to have realistic hair color for a japanase) :mrgreen:

Asiatic. Nice word.

And purple hair isn't terribly realistic...At least, not commonly so...But it's probably just stylized black.

Honestly, it took me years to even register that all the anime I watched didn't actually have any white people in it...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:
Zarys wrote:

Asiatic. Nice word.

And purple hair isn't terribly realistic...At least, not commonly so...But it's probably just stylized black.

Honestly, it took me years to even register that all the anime I watched didn't actually have any white people in it...
Her hair is officially purple ? I always thought it was a stylized or just black hair with highlights.
Also, It depends on the sprites and CG, but it is never a flambloyant purple.

It's not as her ethnicity was really important, Hanako could be Annah* that nothing would change. (Except that Hanako is a nicer name)

*Hana (two female names in Arabic and Hebrew) is the closest homophone, but she don't looks arabic/maghrebish/middle eastern (Yes, the three aren't the same, but they speak arabish) at all, and even if many jews are ethnically white, give her a jewish origin would be ironic given her
nose.

PS : So you can easily imagine what would be her real appearance ? Can you describe ? I'm not very good at it. (I do not know much about the real burns)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Potato

Post by Potato »

Zarys wrote:give her a jewish origin would be ironic given her nose
...Go on. I want to hear this. :lol:

She'd be a Japanese girl with long hair and a partially burned (but largely healed) face.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

From the KS character sheets:

Hair: Purple
Eyes: Grey Purple
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:
She'd be a Japanese girl with long hair and a partially burned (but largely healed) face.
It's not very precise, you know. :mrgreen:

If you are looking for pictures of real burned girls it's very variable, and difficult to see to what exactly Hanako would correspond.
For example, in the real life, her appearance would be tainted by her scars in what measures ? like the art, like the text in the game, much more bad ?

Potato wrote:
Zarys wrote:give her a jewish origin would be ironic given her nose
...Go on. I want to hear this. :lol:
What do you exactly want ? :lol:
Hanako has a small nose, and jews are knows to have a big nose; it's all.
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

I think Hanako's back and shoulder were burned, the scars spread but didn't quite reach her eyes or hairline and she received the best dermatological care she could yada yada yada...

Here's something interesting in regards to Zuko. At times it looked like he was not only blind in that eye, but that he couldn't close the eyelid and that in scenes when he's tearing up he only teared up in his good eye. True some dramatic moments broke that rule, but i did find that interesting. As to why it he looked in better shape than Hanako despite the flames obviously coming into direct contact with his face...
...Iroh's tea?

Actually, here's another note i didn't see a lot of people bring up and which i'm a little curious about. How hard did Hanako have it while she was still growing? Obviously she got those scars when she was a little girl, and they spread to cover portions of her hip, neck, and chest. Don't those scars resist stretching? How awkward was her puberty when she had to get a dermatologists help with the scars on her breasts as they were growing in and her hips as they were widening? Maybe that's why despite getting a good look we didn't see pubic hair, she learned to take her personal hygiene a lot more seriously because of how often she had to discuss these things.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

Pyramid Head wrote: Actually, here's another note i didn't see a lot of people bring up and which i'm a little curious about. How hard did Hanako have it while she was still growing? Obviously she got those scars when she was a little girl, and they spread to cover portions of her hip, neck, and chest. Don't those scars resist stretching? How awkward was her puberty when she had to get a dermatologists help with the scars on her breasts as they were growing in and her hips as they were widening? Maybe that's why despite getting a good look we didn't see pubic hair, she learned to take her personal hygiene a lot more seriously because of how often she had to discuss these things.
I've been wondering that myself, it must have been very painful as well. They can stretch, but it hurts alot, but of course, it also depends on the care she was given.
If she had the best dermatological help then I guess it it helped alot.

I found it strange that she didn't have pubes either.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

LordMarluxia wrote: I've been wondering that myself, it must have been very painful as well. They can stretch, but it hurts alot, but of course, it also depends on the care she was given.

It is generally more hygienic to keep those trimmed or shaved. Like i said, with Hanako, it's possible she became a lot more conscious of stuff like that because of how nasty it could get if she didn't take care of the damage.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

Pyramid Head wrote:
LordMarluxia wrote: I've been wondering that myself, it must have been very painful as well. They can stretch, but it hurts alot, but of course, it also depends on the care she was given.

It is generally more hygienic to keep those trimmed or shaved. Like i said, with Hanako, it's possible she became a lot more conscious of stuff like that because of how nasty it could get if she didn't take care of the damage.
That makes sense, yes.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Zarys wrote:

Because anime was originally based on Walt Disney artwork.
Seriously, that's the only reason.
source: College-level art history class (was one of the classes for VGD/D)

That and Caucasoid features are easier to draw than Asiatic features.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Steinherz wrote:
Zarys wrote:

Because anime was originally based on Walt Disney artwork.
Seriously, that's the only reason.
source: College-level art history class (was one of the classes for VGD/D)

That and Caucasoid features are easier to draw than Asiatic features.
O RLY ? I have learned something today.
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Zarys wrote:
O RLY ? I have learned something today.
Going further, researchers have found Eastern cultures put more emphasis on the eyes in facial expressions then Western cultures. They think this explains why Westen emoticons are focused on the mouth:

:)
;)
:,(

While Eastern ones the eyes:

^_^
;_;
O_o

(interesting to think about if nothing else)