Cracked article on being Deaf

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Cracked article on being Deaf

Post by Oddball »

I don't know how many of you read cracked, but I thought this article would be worth bringing to everyone's attention.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20899_5- ... ought.html
Not Dead Yet
Steinherz

Re: Cracked article on being Deaf

Post by Steinherz »

I love Cracked, it's a comedy/satire site that tends to not do their research unless the writer actually knows what they're talking about.

However this article is indeed interesting
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

It's all accurate and correct from what I've learned. It is very much a Cliff's Notes of much more complicated issues, though, but part of a good Cracked article is encouraging you to read further on your own.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Interesting article. I did notice this, though:
I also frequently get asked if deaf people can drive. Yes, of course they can, and why wouldn't they?
It's not an insane question like the others (like "can you have children", oy vey). It's illegal in some places to drive with headphones on, because they impair your ability to hear horns and sirens and other things of note, so you can see where the question comes from.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Potato

Post by Potato »

Atario wrote:Interesting article. I did notice this, though:
I also frequently get asked if deaf people can drive. Yes, of course they can, and why wouldn't they?
It's not an insane question like the others (like "can you have children", oy vey). It's illegal in some places to drive with headphones on, because they impair your ability to hear horns and sirens and other things of note, so you can see where the question comes from.
I'd like to think thethe question is one of capability, not legality. Makes more sense then.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Wow, Alexander Graham Bell was a douchebag.

(That article left out that he was ten years older than his wife. Who he met as her teacher. And apparently they started dating when he was still her teacher. And there's evidence that this may have started when she was 16.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Potato

Post by Potato »

bhtooefr wrote:Wow, Alexander Graham Bell was a douchebag.

(That article left out that he was ten years older than his wife. Who he met as her teacher. And apparently they started dating when he was still her teacher. And there's evidence that this may have started when she was 16.)
...How is any of that information relevant or necessary?

Was he older than his wife? Who cares.

Was he her teacher at one point? Who cares.

Did they date during that time? Unprofessional, but not a travesty. Who cares.

Was she 16? Who cares. It's legal to date a 16-year-old. At worst, it squicks out some people but it hardly calls for 'douchebag' status, the reinforcement of which I assume was your reason for disclosing this trivia. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

That Cracked article pointed out some douchebaggery on his part - namely, the "STERILIZE ALL THE DEAF PEOPLE" mentality, while having a deaf mother and wife, and having kids with said wife. (Granted, her deafness wasn't genetic, but still...)

I decided to post some relevant facts to send that douchebaggery up to 11.

Let's put it this way, it'd be like Nurse and Emi dating, and then Nurse deciding to advocate for the sterilization of all people without legs.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Potato

Post by Potato »

bhtooefr wrote:That Cracked article pointed out some douchebaggery on his part - namely, the "STERILIZE ALL THE DEAF PEOPLE" mentality, while having a deaf mother and wife, and having kids with said wife. (Granted, her deafness wasn't genetic, but still...)

I decided to post some relevant facts to send that douchebaggery up to 11.

Let's put it this way, it'd be like Nurse and Emi dating, and then Nurse deciding to advocate for the sterilization of all people without legs.
They weren't relevant facts though. Yeah, Graham was a douche but a lot of famous inventors were the biggest twats in history. :lol: That may be cause for study, actually...

I'm not sure sterilizing the legless makes sense.
Like, sterilizing the deaf to avoid a "deaf race" is amazingly stupid and paranoid but it's perfectly reasonable from his screwy viewpoint (that is, thinking there's a real risk of that). I'm not sure "no legs" is genetic. But what if...*drifts into post-Emi-route fanfiction land*

It's nice to see something on Cracked that isn't crazy TV theories or lists of ways nature wants to kill us all...
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

You can sum up their conclusion as "Fuck sign language, just try real hard to speak."

Remind you of anybody?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Mandalorian

Post by Mandalorian »

I don't think I learned anything from that article...
Potato wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Wow, Alexander Graham Bell was a douchebag.

Was she 16? Who cares. It's legal to date a 16-year-old. At worst, it squicks out some people but it hardly calls for 'douchebag' status, the reinforcement of which I assume was your reason for disclosing this trivia. :lol:
Actually, in California, if you're more than two years apart (with one being a minor and one being an adult), then you can be called up as a sex offender. I heard a story about someone who was 18 and it happened to them.

But what does this have to do with deaf people even.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:You can sum up their conclusion as "Fuck sign language, just try real hard to speak."

Remind you of anybody?
Nope.

linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Im trying real hard now to figure out what Hisao said that made Misha laugh in the video with this: the online guide at American Sign Language University
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

linkoid wrote:Im trying real hard now to figure out what Hisao said that made Misha laugh in the video with this: the online guide at American Sign Language University
I wish you luck! Her laugh in that scene is so cutedorable.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

linkoid wrote:Im trying real hard now to figure out what Hisao said that made Misha laugh in the video with this: the online guide at American Sign Language University
But wouldn't Hisao be signing in JSL?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon