Cracked article on being Deaf

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

emmjay

Re: Cracked article on being Deaf

Post by emmjay »

Regarding Graham Bell and his wife: 10 year gaps between spouses used to be a lot more common then they are today. Times change, y'know.
Anyway, interesting read. Some of the things in that article apply to people with other disabilities, especially the "people assuming you're mentally deficient because your ears or eyes or whatever don't work" thing.
I've found that the whole concept of deafness just blows people's freaking minds. I've been asked several times how long it took me to learn Braille.
Anyone else reminded of "Why does she need glasses if she's deaf"?
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

Wow, this is actually a really cool article. I like the video linked IN the article that shows what hearing aids sound like for the people wearing them. It's sort of sad. It almost seems more worth it to not have hearing at all. I've always wanted to learn sign language since i seen shizune.
CaveRave

Post by CaveRave »

#1. Society Has Traditionally Treated Deaf People Like Garbage

I genuinely have to thank Katawa Shoujo for changing my mindset on the matter. I used to think suicide is the only option if I were to become blind or such. Not anymore.

Also, for some reason, the article does sound like something a more cynical Shizune would write.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

CaveRave wrote:
#1. Society Has Traditionally Treated Deaf People Like Garbage

I genuinely have to thank Katawa Shoujo for changing my mindset on the matter. I used to think suicide is the only option if I were to become blind or such. Not anymore.

Also, for some reason, the article does sound like something a more cynical Shizune would write.
Wow. I think it'd take some (a lot) of getting used to but suicide seems like a bit of an extreme. I mean, you'd have to have supportive people around you, but I'd imagine it'd be the sort of situation to just come to terms with as and when really (you know, assuming it happens :L)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

emmjay wrote:
I've found that the whole concept of deafness just blows people's freaking minds. I've been asked several times how long it took me to learn Braille.
Yes :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Steinherz wrote:
emmjay wrote:
Yes :lol:
It actually took me a minute to figure out what was wrong with that sentence because it's so ignorant that I couldn't even process it right.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Munchenhausen wrote:
linkoid wrote:Im trying real hard now to figure out what Hisao said that made Misha laugh in the video with this: the online guide at American Sign Language University
But wouldn't Hisao be signing in JSL?
There is a diffrence? WHY! MY HYPOTHISES OF SL BEING THE SOLUTION TO THE LANGUAGE BARRIER HAS BEEN SHATTERED!
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

bhtooefr wrote:Wow, Alexander Graham Bell was a douchebag.

(That article left out that he was ten years older than his wife. Who he met as her teacher. And apparently they started dating when he was still her teacher. And there's evidence that this may have started when she was 16.)
My grandmother got married when she was 14 :/ the whole thing of getting married after puberty is rather new.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Comrade wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Wow, Alexander Graham Bell was a douchebag.

(That article left out that he was ten years older than his wife. Who he met as her teacher. And apparently they started dating when he was still her teacher. And there's evidence that this may have started when she was 16.)
My grandmother got married when she was 14 :/ the whole thing of getting married after puberty is rather new.
People also tend to live longer now and don't need to be in such a hurry to get started. Of course, grandparents live longer too, but only due to relatively recent medical advances.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

It's because of cars, they cause micro time travel.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Cracked recently put up a similar article: 5 Shocking Ways the Modern World Screws Blind People. I didn't feel the need to start a whole new topic about it, but it's an interesting (and in some places, infuriating) read. Like many Cracked articles, it can be summed up thusly: "People are dicks." (Many others can be summed up: "People are stupid." And some can be summed up: "People are dicks AND stupid.")
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I was just now going to search for an appropriate thread to post this link. Thanks for saving me the trouble ;-)

I also found the article to be very interesting, especially the tidbits about braille.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

emmjay wrote:(Many others can be summed up: "People are stupid." And some can be summed up: "People are dicks AND stupid.")
I think you just summed up the majority of the human population on earth there.

Still, there's some good here and there, but yeah...true.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Megumeru wrote:
emmjay wrote:(Many others can be summed up: "People are stupid." And some can be summed up: "People are dicks AND stupid.")
I think you just summed up the majority of the human population on earth there.

Still, there's some good here and there, but yeah...true.
Nonsense. Most people are good people, it only seems that way because the strongest people aren't.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

CaveRave wrote:I used to think suicide is the only option if I were to become blind or such.
Wow. That's...That's just not smart at all.

And most people are either dicks or stupid. A louder but smaller section are both.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."