Journey of a Non-otaku

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Journey of a Non-otaku

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
Velitation wrote:Oh, just noticed that Emi in Wonderland. That's hilarious, SpunkySix.
Yeah, I look forward to reading it after I'm done with the canon stuff, because it seems pretty funny. A little bit redundant though. I mean, Emi in Wonderland? I already thought her body is a wonderland.

I'm so sorry

Real question though... can you be otaku if you're really into the sub-culture, but you haven't seen nearly as much anime as you'd like to?
That's really an interesting question. I'd guess so. I've had a fair bit of experience with Japanese culture, although I am far from being an expert—but I've not seen as much anime or read as much manga as I'd like. Can you ever get as much as you'd like? :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Velitation wrote:Oh, just noticed that Emi in Wonderland. That's hilarious, SpunkySix.
Yeah, I look forward to reading it after I'm done with the canon stuff, because it seems pretty funny. A little bit redundant though. I mean, Emi in Wonderland? I already thought her body is a wonderland.

I'm so sorry

Real question though... can you be otaku if you're really into the sub-culture, but you haven't seen nearly as much anime as you'd like to?
That's really an interesting question. I'd guess so. I've had a fair bit of experience with Japanese culture, although I am far from being an expert—but I've not seen as much anime or read as much manga as I'd like. Can you ever get as much as you'd like? :)
Technically since Otaku is a Japanese term for "nerd" (albeit in an extremely negative manner and a specific context), yes. Yes you can
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

SpunkySix wrote:Yeah, I look forward to reading it after I'm done with the canon stuff, because it seems pretty funny. A little bit redundant though. I mean, Emi in Wonderland? I already thought her body is a wonderland.

I'm so sorry

Now I've got that John Mayer song stuck in my head. Thanks :|

I think there's a range going from 'liking Japanese culture somewhat' to 'obsessing about everything Japanese' is generally where I would draw the "otaku valley." Much like uncanny valley, there is a point where it is no longer getting to the defined otaku trait and going into, well, something completely different.
[fahsign]Velitation[/fahsign] Remember, it's just a game.
Mandalorian

Post by Mandalorian »

SpunkySix wrote:
Mandalorian wrote:Cripple-wonderland... like Alice in Wonderland? That'd be an interesting book. Basically Katawa Shoujo on an acid trip.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t ... wonderland
...why am I not surprised. Actually, "why would I be surprised" would have the shorter answer.

Anyways, I just finished Rin's route. It was a bit predictable, but that's not a bad thing. There was one moment when I swore the story was going to end and I was ready to flip out, but then it thankfully continued and had a more satisfying ending. Definitely more satisfying than Shizune's, and perhaps even Hanako's. Albeit it's been a while since I went through Hanako's route, so maybe I was more satisfied with that and I just forgot. My mind is a bit too full, this being my exam week and all.

Again, the parallels to my life are a bit crazy ("Again;" was there a first time?). Rin reminds me of my closest friend that I constantly try to understand and get closer to, but no progress is ever made, even when it feels like it. I haven't spoken to her in almost a month. Things like this have happened before, but I suppose it's weighing a little heavily on me now more so than it did in the past. Hanako's route was like this, too, where there were moments when Hisao felt he got closer to her, but then found out that it might not have been the case. Although with Rin, that's basically the entire setup.

My thoughts on the "H-scenes," as I think people would expect me to comment on, are that the first felt contrived. About as contrived as the previous ones I've seen. But the second, for once, didn't. I'd say it was less than 10 percent contrived. Which I'd say is an acceptable margin. I was a little uncomfortable, but not for the same reasons as before. So I was happy with that, as for once it felt right, all things considered. Again, though, it makes Hanako's scene all the more questionable for reasons already discussed.

Although I am going to start Lilly's route this weekend, and I cannot for the life of me imagine how those scenes could be anything but contrived. She just seems like the kind of person that would definitely not fit in that scenario. We'll see.

Also, why are so many people infatuated with Emi? Maybe it's just my personality, but I don't like the overly-bubbly and crazy people. I must assume most people like that, as most people are naturally more outgoing and sociable, whereas I'm like a slightly less severe Hanako, in that I get very anxious in social situations, but I can at least put up an effective facade and appear normal.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I like Emi because of her bubbly personality :3
I don't like unhappy people, and she rarely is at face. Her determination is something I do admire. Something I feel she and Shizune have in common is the drive to get shit done.

Plus on top of that, she has fucking crowbars for legs.
tell me you aren't jealous.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Munchenhausen wrote:Plus on top of that, she has fucking crowbars for legs.
There are so many times I've wanted to pry a crate open but didn't have blades for legs so I couldn't.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
There are so many times I've wanted to pry a crate open but didn't have blades for legs so I couldn't.
If she had cronuts for legs, she'd really roll.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Mandalorian

Post by Mandalorian »

Tell me when the Half-Life crossover begins...
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

Well, there's this thread.

EDIT: As for the current topic, the Emi route was the first one that I went through. After the manly picnic. Somewhat cringe worthy at times, but was fairly good.

As for the Lilly route, it is definitely a different tone than the rest of the routes.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Velitation wrote:Well, there's this thread.

EDIT: As for the current topic, the Emi route was the first one that I went through. After the manly picnic. Somewhat cringe worthy at times, but was fairly good.

As for the Lilly route, it is definitely a different tone than the rest of the routes.
And by that we mean "Soap Opera"
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

Steinherz wrote:And by that we mean "Soap Opera"
Well, I guess that's one way of putting it. :lol:
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Steinherz wrote:

I'd say more RomCom, actually :p Over here, soap operas are usually defined by people arguing a lot, any form of relationship either having double-crossing, a saboteur or a death, and EVERY CHRISTMAS shit blows up.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Steinherz wrote:

I'd say more RomCom, actually :p Over here, soap operas are usually defined by people arguing a lot, any form of relationship either having double-crossing, a saboteur or a death, and EVERY CHRISTMAS shit blows up.
I feel like they should be required, by law, to be in Spanish as well. Those are hilarious to watch with subtitles.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Steinherz wrote:

I swear to fuck, if I have to sit through one more "Who Shot Phil" period this christmas, I will shoot phil myself
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

I swear to fuck, if I have to sit through one more "Who Shot Phil" period this christmas, I will shoot phil myself
Now Im going to have Coronation Street's theme stuck in my head every time Lilly is brought up. (Watched one episode; it's syndicated in Canada. One episode was enough for me). :cry: