Side characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

RandomPerson

Re: Side characters

Post by RandomPerson »

No they wouldn't! Not one person would do that unless your talking to rin ( then that would probably be her exact words) they all have disabilitys and know people don't like talking about it
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

"What you talking 'bout tezuka" - Gary Coleman (RIP)
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:the first thing many of them would probably ask is some variation of "So, what's fucked up with you?"
It's one of those prison intro scenes.

"So, what're you in for?"

"Born without arms. You?"

"Legs sheared off in a car crash. Got any cigs?"
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Grimnir

Post by Grimnir »

Atario wrote:It's one of those prison intro scenes.

"So, what're you in for?"

"Born without arms. You?"

"Legs sheared off in a car crash. Got any cigs?"
Not gonna lie, that dialogue played in my head several times playing KS, usually when I've met a new charakter.
Misha: "Oh, Hi, I'm Misha and this is my hetero-life-mate, Silent Shicchan."
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

I know, it makes me think that his conflict with "not being normal" gets in the way of him wanting to socialize too much.
I think what the problem is, is that with too many side characters that say things but don't contribute much to "the feels", would simply take away from the emotional aspect of the story.
Who knows, thats just what I feel.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Aye, I see where you're coming from there. Too many characters would definitely overcrowd things... I must say, I do enjoy the way all the secondary and tertiary characters have spread out into Fanon! That way if something comes along ghat you really don't like, you can sleep easy knowing that it's not actually official canon!
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Munchenhausen wrote:Aye, I see where you're coming from there. Too many characters would definitely overcrowd things... I must say, I do enjoy the way all the secondary and tertiary characters have spread out into Fanon! That way if something comes along ghat you really don't like, you can sleep easy knowing that it's not actually official canon!
If we're honest though, anything NxN that comes up, I THINK WE CAN ALL AGREE, is pretty likable :P
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Mabey they just forgot. Writers too engrossed in writting about people making love?
THAT IS THE FUCKING WORST IDEA EVER! THIS IS A CONSPIRACY FOURM NOT A SENSE FORM!
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:Aye, I see where you're coming from there. Too many characters would definitely overcrowd things... I must say, I do enjoy the way all the secondary and tertiary characters have spread out into Fanon! That way if something comes along ghat you really don't like, you can sleep easy knowing that it's not actually official canon!
If we're honest though, anything NxN that comes up, I THINK WE CAN ALL AGREE, is pretty likable :P
ma nigga

Oh hey, Linkoid! Thought you'd died :P
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Potato

Post by Potato »

Pandas wrote:I think what the problem is, is that with too many side characters that say things but don't contribute much to "the feels", would simply take away from the emotional aspect of the story.
I'd think having a world full of characters would only increase immersion and, by extension, the whole story...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

Potato wrote:
Pandas wrote:I think what the problem is, is that with too many side characters that say things but don't contribute much to "the feels", would simply take away from the emotional aspect of the story.
I'd think having a world full of characters would only increase immersion and, by extension, the whole story...
We all have our own opinions.
It'd be hard to pull off but i COULD add to the story,
But how exciting and sad would it be with a bunch of girls and guys teasing you or more people like kenji?
They are good for comic relief but having too many would negate the "feels" effect.
Maybe side characters as far as their family or close and loved ones. But having useless side characters could just as easily ruin it.
I guess it'd be a "make or break"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Having too many characters would end up with a 'War and Peace' style situation - if you had the time, concentration and ability to truly grapple the various story arcs that would inevitably occur, it could potentially turn out very well (you know, presuming the authors would be masochistic enough to attempt such a behemoth). However, it probably would leave a lot of people (myself included) quite confused. Or maybe just me and my lack of discernible intellect.

That said, I did enjoy War and Peace.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Pandas wrote:
Potato wrote:
But how exciting and sad would it be with a bunch of girls and guys teasing you or more people like kenji?
They are good for comic relief but having too many would negate the "feels" effect.
Maybe side characters as far as their family or close and loved ones. But having useless side characters could just as easily ruin it.
Oh, they certainly couldn't all be Kenjis...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

@Potato.
All kenji's though.
That'd be an interesting fan fic to say the last X3
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

There is a process known as "masking" - more than one form of it, but let's not complicate things - whereby you can't afford to detail the side issues too much lest they detract from the main point.

Even without considering the increasing amount of work required, uniformly-detailed settings belong in more sandboxy games which VNs are definitely not, and it's rare to see real uniformity even there.

I blame all those hi-graphics vidya for leading you by the nose and spoiling you rotten 9_9
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Pandas wrote:
Potato wrote:
Yeah, for the additional characters to work it'd have to be a bigger game, to avoid overcrowding.
There would be plenty of side stories, but not done in such a way that you have to follow them, potentially skipping over them altogether.
Just enough to not drown out the main chase for the Love Interest, y'know?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---