Pairing the Spares?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Pairing the Spares?

Post by Potato »

RandomPerson wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
linkoid wrote:Akria + Hidakei: LOOK AT THIS AND TELL ME I'M WRONG!

http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/image/1475.png
I...I... I can't! This would be quite the pairing, I must admit. I mean, Hideaki's a bit young at the moment, but I'm sure in a year or two, when Akira's relationship ends suddenly, they'll be there. 'Tis legal there too, so it's aaallll good.
Ok, I only played shizune and Lilly's route ones so I might sound a bit stupid when I say why this is sick and wrong, THERE FREAKING FIRST COUSINS YOU SICK PEOPLE NO WONDER THEY GO TOGETHER SO WELL
Yes, they're cousins. But can you give any actually meaningful reason that makes it "sick and wrong" beyond "I was always taught this so it's how I feel"? :P

Anyway, I'd pair Kenji and Hachisame. Poor Hachisame, shunned by her fellow females for being a monster...And then Kenji comes along, befriending what obviously must be a disillusioned feminist war experiment to bring into the Resistance...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:Yes, they're cousins. But can you give any actually meaningful reason that makes it "sick and wrong" beyond "I was always taught this so it's how I feel"?
What even started the whole "u cant do this bcuz we say so" thing with cousins anyways? I mean, maybe genetics, but even then they should be distant enough to not be much of an issue.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Yes, they're cousins. But can you give any actually meaningful reason that makes it "sick and wrong" beyond "I was always taught this so it's how I feel"?
What even started the whole "u cant do this bcuz we say so" thing with cousins anyways? I mean, maybe genetics, but even then they should be distant enough to not be much of an issue.
If I had to guess, European nobility. Sure, one first cousin marriage is harmless, but after fifteen generations, things got a bit horrifying, and then everyone in the west was two scared of producing their very own Charles II to go within 10 feet of any cousins.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
brythain

Post by brythain »

FelOnyx wrote:If I had to guess, European nobility. Sure, one first cousin marriage is harmless, but after fifteen generations, things got a bit horrifying, and then everyone in the west was two scared of producing their very own Charles II to go within 10 feet of any cousins.
Remember Victoria, who was almost literally the 'grandmother of all Europe' in terms of the royal families extant in the late 19th/early 20th centuries?
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

brythain wrote:
FelOnyx wrote:If I had to guess, European nobility. Sure, one first cousin marriage is harmless, but after fifteen generations, things got a bit horrifying, and then everyone in the west was two scared of producing their very own Charles II to go within 10 feet of any cousins.
Remember Victoria, who was almost literally the 'grandmother of all Europe' in terms of the royal families extant in the late 19th/early 20th centuries?
Ok, everyone except the nobility, who I suppose were too incest-addled to make sane decisions. But yeah, Charles was just an example, and it probably had lots to do with the discovery of genetics as well, and a good few hundred years of deformed kings and hemophilia after our favorite Hapsburg before 2 and 2 were put together.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

Potato wrote:
RandomPerson wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Akria + Hidakei: LOOK AT THIS AND TELL ME I'M WRONG!

http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/image/1475.png
I...I... I can't! This would be quite the pairing, I must admit. I mean, Hideaki's a bit young at the moment, but I'm sure in a year or two, when Akira's relationship ends suddenly, they'll be there. 'Tis legal there too, so it's aaallll good.
Ok, I only played shizune and Lilly's route ones so I might sound a bit stupid when I say why this is sick and wrong, THERE FREAKING FIRST COUSINS YOU SICK PEOPLE NO WONDER THEY GO TOGETHER SO WELL
Yes, they're cousins. But can you give any actually meaningful reason that makes it "sick and wrong" beyond "I was always taught this so it's how I feel"? :P

Anyway, I'd pair Kenji and Hachisame. Poor Hachisame, shunned by her fellow females for being a monster...And then Kenji comes along, befriending what obviously must be a disillusioned feminist war experiment to bring into the Resistance...[/quote]

Because of genetics, first cousins are what cause webbed feet and seven extra toes in children
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

"What you talking 'bout tezuka" - Gary Coleman (RIP)
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

RandomPerson wrote:
Because of genetics, first cousins are what cause webbed feet and seven extra toes in children
Not really, being first cousins normally only increases risk of deformities to around 4%. Of course, in Akira and Hideaki's case, it could be more of a problem, depending on if Lily and Shizune's disabilities are hereditary. In that case though, they could just not have kids, and there would be no problem. Akira seems the type to not want them anyways.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

There's also the power dynamics of their relationship, which I can only see as incredibly unhealthy in both directions for it to become a romantic or sexual relationship. Some of that is due to the age gap, but some of it is due to how they're related and interact with one another.

That's actually why I find Akira x Hanako to be less squicky than Lilly x Hanako, despite Akira being significantly older than Lilly and having far more life experience.. Lilly and Hanako have a strong imbalance to their relationship, whereas Akira and Hanako are far less imbalanced (not saying that there isn't an imbalance, but it's not as disturbing of one).
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

The children of first cousins are somewhat highly susceptible to Hypoplastic left heart syndrome, where the left side of the heart is severely underdeveloped, agenesis of a kidney where one of both kidney's are undeveloped and inbreeding in general is tied to a wide range of problems including hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke, cancer, bipolar depression, asthma, gout, peptic ulcer, and osteoporosis, many of which won't even show signs until adulthood.

Although the research at this point is seen as something somewhat controversial in certain circles and isn't yet completely proven.

Then of course there's the whole social stigmata, and on top of that, the relationship simply isn't healthy one due to the fact that Akira is already seen as being the adult in the relationship. She's always been the one "in-charge" so any attempts at having a relationship on equal grounds would require both of them to compeltey reassess how they view each other.
Not Dead Yet
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Oddball wrote:Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
Oh god, Katayama family reunions must be incredibly awkward.
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:
Oddball wrote:Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
Oh god, Katayama family reunions must be incredibly awkward.
Albinism is one of those traits too...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

I'm not sure which I'm more surprised at; the fact that a innocent pairing the spares turned into a discussion on the pros and cons of incest, or the fact that some people here actually think incest is ok.
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I'm actually surprised that something (that wasn't a spare pairing ship) became part of my headcanon as a result of this thread, really.

(Specifically, that Rika's parents are first cousins.)
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

bhtooefr wrote:I'm actually surprised that something (that wasn't a spare pairing ship) became part of my headcanon as a result of this thread, really.

My mind has just been blown... Since you don't know a lot about hisaos parents they could be related in some way, I mean even if it's a 4 percent chance it means that it does happen, why not hisao?

FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

bhtooefr wrote:There's also the power dynamics of their relationship, which I can only see as incredibly unhealthy in both directions for it to become a romantic or sexual relationship. Some of that is due to the age gap, but some of it is due to how they're related and interact with one another.

That's actually why I find Akira x Hanako to be less squicky than Lilly x Hanako, despite Akira being significantly older than Lilly and having far more life experience.. Lilly and Hanako have a strong imbalance to their relationship, whereas Akira and Hanako are far less imbalanced (not saying that there isn't an imbalance, but it's not as disturbing of one).
Oddball wrote:the relationship simply isn't healthy one due to the fact that Akira is already seen as being the adult in the relationship. She's always been the one "in-charge" so any attempts at having a relationship on equal grounds would require both of them to compeltey reassess how they view each other.
Ok, so the conclusion to be drawn here is that Akira/Hideaki is bad and unhealthy and very squicky, and for reasons more reasons than just the cousin thing. That is a nasty power difference, and since Akira does not at all seem the type to take advantage of that, would almost certainly never happen.
RandomPerson wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:I'm actually surprised that something (that wasn't a spare pairing ship) became part of my headcanon as a result of this thread, really.

My mind has just been blown... Since you don't know a lot about Hisao's parents they could be related in some way, I mean even if it's a 4 percent chance it means that it does happen, why not Hisao?
I would think Hisao's parents are not, simply because what are the odds of a school having two students with heart problems, both caused by first-cousin incest on the part of their parents. But for Rika, it's just too perfect, headcannon get.