What would you have done if you made the game?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Atario

Re: What would you have done if you made the game?

Post by Atario »

brythain wrote:All you need is start her off with Daniel Kish.
Well, that was a fun jaunt through spontaneous research on the web! I'm back!

What I really want to know about this is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this over regular eyesight? (I assume there must be both…) How is the spatial resolution? Do multiple users of the technique interfere with one another if they're together? So many questions…
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
brythain

Post by brythain »

Atario wrote:
brythain wrote:All you need is start her off with Daniel Kish.
Well, that was a fun jaunt through spontaneous research on the web! I'm back!

What I really want to know about this is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this over regular eyesight? (I assume there must be both…) How is the spatial resolution? Do multiple users of the technique interfere with one another if they're together? So many questions…
I think they're similar to the advantages/disadvantages between vision and hearing. Hearing has better spatial resolution in the 3D space around a person but has shorter accurate range. Vision is LOS only, but can resolve things down to a single photon (in theory). You can hear people talking behind you, but not that far away. You can see people talking very far away, but only in LOS. Attenuation of light through various media is huge (you can't see through a wall), but attenuation of sound is extremely non-linear and varies a lot (you can hear through a wall, but sometimes with great distortion). Yeah, so many questions, but cool concept and implementation anyway! :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Katawa Shoujo, IN 3D
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

linkoid wrote:Katawa Shoujo, IN 3D
Come to think of it, KS made by me would probably look a little cartoonier.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

SpunkySix wrote:
Then it's a EPIC ACTION COMIC!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

linkoid wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
I might've tried to incorporate some more dynamic scenes in, to probably mixed results.
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Emi would be a more epic runner?
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

linkoid wrote:Emi would be a more epic runner?
She just might have a bit more of an active sprite. So sort of.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

linkoid wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
linkoid wrote:
I might've tried to incorporate some more dynamic scenes in, to probably mixed results.
So you would have added in some action.
Would Lilly and Shizune know Kendo or something and than fight each other all the time. Sounds like a really easy way to put in some silly action. Rin would know how to do Capoeira. That would be really awesome though.
Emi already runs and is already a dynamic character. Hanako would know how to uh... use flamethrowers.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:So you would have added in some action.
Would Lilly and Shizune know Kendo or something and than fight each other all the time. Sounds like a really easy way to put in some silly action. Rin would know how to do Capoeira. That would be really awesome though.
Emi already runs and is already a dynamic character. Hanako would know how to uh... use flamethrowers.
Not quite like that either. More like stuff where the background moves a bit, and the sprites move around, more like the scenes on the track that already exist. Just more consistently done like that with walking around and doing things, maybe. Like, if Lilly was making tea, maybe she'd be in one part of the screen, then slide to the other side and move into another pose.

Come to think of it though, a Shizune/Lilly fight scene that was exaggerated beyond belief would probably be a spectacle.
Forever_ambivalent

SpunkySix wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:So you would have added in some action.
Not quite like that either. More like stuff where the background moves a bit, and the sprites move around, more like the scenes on the track that already exist. Just more consistently done like that with walking around and doing things, maybe. Like, if Lilly was making tea, maybe she'd be in one part of the screen, then slide to the other side and move into another pose.

Come to think of it though, a Shizune/Lilly fight scene that was exaggerated beyond belief would probably be a spectacle.
So a bit more like an exaggerated Juniper's knot. Screw that.
More cut-scenes makes the world a happier place. An intense Shizune vs Lilly would be fantastic.
A full epilogue on Hisao's and the girl's future for every path would be ideal though. I think that would be the only thing I would really want.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Just to fill my "piss on people's parades" quota :roll:, I'd like to say that while there are many wonderful things that you could do, I think that more than a few people are missing the point that YOU would have to do them. So unless you are, say, a member of Industrial Light & Magic with a chance to play with the office equipment after hours, you might want to downgrade your thoughts of lavish special effects...
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Silentcook wrote:Just to fill my "piss on people's parades" quota :roll:, I'd like to say that while there are many wonderful things that you could do, I think that more than a few people are missing the point that YOU would have to do them. So unless you are, say, a member of Industrial Light & Magic with a chance to play with the office equipment after hours, you might want to downgrade your thoughts of lavish special effects...
Oh, yeah, by no means did I mean I could actually do that. I understand that even the short animations after Act 1 took forever. It's just that if I limited myself to what I actually knew how to do, the VN wouldn't be made, period. It'd just be a story with some nice pictures to go along with it.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

You just went to the opposite extreme. Nearly all of 4LS entered KS as rank amateurs and now we're amateurs whose overconfidence got beaten out of them with a nail bat. And "a story with some nice pictures and music to go along with it" sounds like a fair description of KS to me. :)
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Forever_ambivalent

Most of the stuff I was saying was a joke. The only thing that I would have really done if I made the game was to add Epilogues of each character. Perhaps just to say how Hisao and his girl do in the future. I think some character's (especially Emi) really needed something like that just to prove that they have changed or something along those lines.