What would you have done if you made the game?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: What would you have done if you made the game?

Post by Oddball »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Most of the stuff I was saying was a joke. The only thing that I would have really done if I made the game was to add Epilogues of each character. Perhaps just to say how Hisao and his girl do in the future. I think some character's (especially Emi) really needed something like that just to prove that they have changed or something along those lines.
You're thinking of the game as starring Hisao, Shizune, Emi and the rest.

It doesn't. Those characters don't exist yet. If you had stepped in, would you have created Hisao? Would the track and feild girl with the missing legs have ended up like Emi, or like somebody completely different?
Not Dead Yet
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Oddball wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:Most of the stuff I was saying was a joke. The only thing that I would have really done if I made the game was to add Epilogues of each character. Perhaps just to say how Hisao and his girl do in the future. I think some character's (especially Emi) really needed something like that just to prove that they have changed or something along those lines.
You're thinking of the game as starring Hisao, Shizune, Emi and the rest.

It doesn't. Those characters don't exist yet. If you had stepped in, would you have created Hisao? Would the track and field girl with the missing legs have ended up like Emi, or like somebody completely different?
I don't know how the game was produced but if I were to put in a small 10 minute or less epilogue (this is what I would be aiming for. Not anything too long) I would do it when I had finished all of the routes. It would just be a little something at the end to conclude and show how the couple ended up. Just to make everyone who is reading it smile (or perhaps feel sad).
I might have also played a little with the texture of music and made them thicker at parts but that's just musical preference.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Oddball's point is that if you made the game, you'd be starting with this:

(Well, that, and the original black and white Japanese version. The coloring and translation was done by fans, so you weren't even tied to those colors, although with the exception of the deaf girl's exact hair color, 4LS did stick with them.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Forever_ambivalent

bhtooefr wrote:Oddball's point is that if you made the game, you'd be starting with this:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... slated.jpg

(Well, that, and the original black and white Japanese version. The coloring and translation was done by fans, so you weren't even tied to those colors, although with the exception of the deaf girl's exact hair color, 4LS did stick with them.)
My point is that at the end I would put an epilogue as a sort of conclusion to everything at the end of every route. I'm not even talking about how everything might have turned out. I'm just saying that if I were to make the game I would put a bit more of a finale at the end of every path. It's more personal preference because some people like open endings and some people like endings to be a bit more finished. I just think that some endings are a bit too open and needs something to conclude it a bit more.

Why is everyone being so defensive :? I thought this was something of a criticism thread.
Last edited by Silentcook on Wed May 28, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images that were just posted, people...
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:I thought this was something of a criticism thread.
Uh...What gave that impression?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Forever_ambivalent

Potato wrote:
The title.
It's a question I would normally ask somebody if I wanted some criticism.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:
Potato wrote:
The title.
It's a question I would normally ask somebody if I wanted some criticism.
Oh, the title. So...Not, you know, the actual content of the post which did not actually criticize the game in any way?

Do you always judge things entirely by the most immediate and obvious aspect? :? If so, you may be seriously missing the point of KS...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:It's a question I would normally ask somebody if I wanted some criticism.
Oh, the title. So...Not, you know, the actual content of the post which did not actually criticize the game in any way?

Do you always judge things entirely by the most immediate and obvious aspect? :? If so, you may be seriously missing the point of KS...
It's not the game that's being criticised. Rather, critical consideration of what could have been done differently is being offered.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Silentcook wrote:And "a story with some nice pictures and music to go along with it" sounds like a fair description of KS to me. :)
Hm... this is true. The programming behind said pictures appearing would be much more limited with me, however.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

bhtooefr wrote:(...The coloring and translation was done by fans, so you weren't even tied to those colors, although with the exception of the deaf girl's exact hair color, 4LS did stick with them.)
Hmm, that's a thought. What color choices would I have made for hair, eyes, and uniforms?
- I probably would have made Not-Shizune a redhead, simply because I have a thing for redheads with glasses. And it'd be a fiery red. Her eyes would either be blue, or something dark. The phrase "dark, flashing eyes" might get used somewhere.
- Not-Lilly would probably still be blond, unless I was doing the anime "hair colors not to be found in nature" thing, in which case her hair would be green or blue or something. Basically, taking the girl who can't see and making her very colorful and visible. Eyes... I dunno. Either blue or green because, again, color.
- Not-Hanako's hair would be not just dark, but full on black. Her eyes would either be violet or dark brown. Perhaps a... chocolate brown? (I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Don't hit me!)
- As for Not-Emi, I'm not sure about hair. Probably either strawberry blonde or a light brunette shade. (Those colors just suggest youthfulness to me, and although Emi may not be younger than the others, she still looks younger.) Eyes: Probably blue.
- Finally, Not-Rin. Hair: Either a paler shade of red than what I'd give Shizune, or a somewhat dark shade of blue. Her eyes would probably be gray.
- The uniforms would probably have black skirts, and the bows would either be a dark red or a bright blue.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

emmjay wrote: - As for Not-Emi, I'm not sure about hair. Probably either strawberry blonde or a light brunette shade. (Those colors just suggest youthfulness to me, and although Emi may not be younger than the others, she still looks younger.) Eyes: Probably blue.
I think I'd have given her pink hair and pink eyes. Poor Misha probably wouldn't exist, and Emi is the bounciest of the route girls, so it'd make the most sense.

Come to think of it, I'd probably have given RIn green hair. Seems like an odd color.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"