Waitaminute... Misha HAS to be bisexual.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Steinherz

Re: Waitaminute... Misha HAS to be bisexual.

Post by Steinherz »

Charmant wrote:@Zarys: SSS, or Special Snowflake Syndrome, is when a person or people hold a delusional belief in their own super special uniqueness. Like how teaboos (tea-a-boos) think they're super sophisticated and interesting for liking British stuff while being American, or bronies think they're super great and unique for being dudes who like a thing made for chicks. I had a fucking Easy Bake Oven before gender role defiance was cool, god dammit. Or, in this case, people who are all "My sexuality is so unique and different, you can't even categorize it!" even though we can and have and did.
That is an excellent description of what a special snowflake is.

Also, that is the first time I've EVER seen/heard the word "teeaboo" :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Charmant wrote:Or, in this case, people who are all "My sexuality is so unique and different, you can't even categorize it!" even though we can and have and did.
If you literally think the spectrum of sexuality is solely limited to straight-bi-gay-ace, you vastly underestimate the fluidity of sexuality, genders and its permutations. You're pithily dismissing a whole swathe of people with varied characteristics and lives.

And you're not even being accurate to the phrase. "Special Snowflake Syndrome" refers to the tendency of some role-players to obsessively play obscure characters using arcane rules not found in the core materials. It doesn't refer to people, it refers to characters. (Yes, I know what Urban Dictionary says, but that entry may as well have been written by Donald Trump for as caustic and myopic and stupid as it is.)
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Leaty wrote:
Charmant wrote:Or, in this case, people who are all "My sexuality is so unique and different, you can't even categorize it!" even though we can and have and did.
If you literally think the spectrum of sexuality is solely limited to straight-bi-gay-ace, you vastly underestimate the fluidity of sexuality, genders and its permutations. You're pithily dismissing a whole swathe of people with varied characteristics and lives.

And you're not even being accurate to the phrase. "Special Snowflake Syndrome" refers to the tendency of some role-players to obsessively play obscure characters using arcane rules not found in the core materials. It doesn't refer to people, it refers to characters. (Yes, I know what Urban Dictionary says, but that entry may as well have been written by Donald Trump for as caustic and myopic and stupid as it is.)
I don't use urban dictionary, but the "special snowflake" definition as it applies to people has become part of mainstream vernacular years ago, regardless of what it originally meant. Words and phrases change over time. I've heard the phrase used for a decade and I've never once heard it referring to people who RP characters. If anything, they're RPing Mary Sues of themselves because they have a desperate need to seem more important to themselves and others than they are, so instead of trying to find themselves as people, they identify with or just flat out make up different issues that they don't have for the sake of gaining sympathy from like minded individuals.

Yeah, it's probably not the best phrase to use as it's really abrasive, but it does describe a fairly serious social problem that's been around since the baby boomer generation and only really exploded with the advent of the internet.

With the internet as widespread as it is, for every group that helps people cope with these issues, there are a dozen others that encourage you to wallow in self delusion and treat it as a perfectly normal thing - and to attack anyone who doesn't agree (or doesn't even understand because they have no frame of reference and are just expected to know everything about the subject in question.)
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

Going back to the topic before it completely derails, I dont think misha is bisexual, she was just confused and just sad and needed comfort :cry: .
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Eurobeatjester wrote:If anything, they're RPing Mary Sues of themselves because they have a desperate need to seem more important to themselves and others than they are, so instead of trying to find themselves as people, they identify with or just flat out make up different issues that they don't have for the sake of gaining sympathy from like minded individuals.
Or, you know, they want to play an ogrillon instead of a dwarf because they've played some form of the latter about a thousand times and they get bored with it more easily than most. I don't see the need to ascribe the most personally condemning possible motivation to it just because people find it annoying.
Eurobeatjester wrote:With the internet as widespread as it is, for every group that helps people cope with these issues, there are a dozen others that encourage you to wallow in self delusion and treat it as a perfectly normal thing - and to attack anyone who doesn't agree (or doesn't even understand because they have no frame of reference and are just expected to know everything about the subject in question.)
Treat what as a perfectly normal thing? That somebody's sexual or romantic tastes in others don't fall precisely in harmony with restrictive, simplistic labels? That is perfectly normal. I don't see how anybody who feels that way is "wallowing in self-delusion."

Communities on the internet have this problem with automatically taking the most knee-jerk position on an issue and than extrapolating in a spiral from there. Some thirteen-year-old with a LiveJournal wants to think for a while that he's got the soul of a vampire, so from there everybody goes straight to concluding that there are no identity politics on the internet with any scientific or social basis because that makes things too complicated and they don't personally have any use for them (even while they might belong to an absurdly specific group, like, as in the Emo Phillips joke, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.")

This is totally a derail, so I'll end it here, but yeah.
brythain

Post by brythain »

A derailleur is a good thing. It helps the trains of thought move on, sometimes onto necessary sidetracks. But rails don't always go from A to B directly, nor from B to A. Sometimes they go both ways with stops at other stations, sometimes they force you to make a change to another line. Fluidity doesn't mean nullity of form—just because things are plastic doesn't mean they can't harden under certain circumstances for a long while, or even crack. Even gases have molecules when you look hard enough.

So Misha doesn't HAVE to be anything except herself. And sadly (for me anyway) we know so little about her; it almost makes me want to do a whole biography of her. Such a silly position for a middle-aged writer to hold, I know.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

I tried an Ogrillon once; cheap knock-off, nowhere near as good as a real George Foreman Grill

Oh, and: I like to think Misha is a little bit bi, for reasons.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

I should have clarified. I wasn't talking about one's sexual identity specifically. I was referring to those who choose to latch on to a group or drama because they don't feel special without it.

Sexuality and gender can fall into that category for these people. They claim to be transgendered or pansexual.not because they are, but because they want the attention they see the people who legitimately struggle with it get.

Ever known a hemophiliac? Same principle.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Atario

Post by Atario »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Ever known a hemophiliac? Same principle.
Wait, what? You mean a hypochondriac?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

The funny thing is, even if A22 came out and declared once-and-for-all that Misha is only attracted to girls...it wouldn't matter, because Suriko, Aura, and The Hivemind have all said at various times that only what's in the game is canon. :) And the game was vague enough on this subject that a thread could be made about it in the first place, so..
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Steinherz wrote:
Charmant wrote:@Zarys: SSS, or Special Snowflake Syndrome, is when a person or people hold a delusional belief in their own super special uniqueness. Like how teaboos (tea-a-boos) think they're super sophisticated and interesting for liking British stuff while being American, or bronies think they're super great and unique for being dudes who like a thing made for chicks. I had a fucking Easy Bake Oven before gender role defiance was cool, god dammit. Or, in this case, people who are all "My sexuality is so unique and different, you can't even categorize it!" even though we can and have and did.
That is an excellent description of what a special snowflake is.

Also, that is the first time I've EVER seen/heard the word "teeaboo" :lol:
Ah I suspected that was it but what was to do with the message of forgememot ? it was less a "everyone is special" than the usual "it's not that bi / hetero / homo, it may be more fluid" so...

I understand what you means by SSS now, and I understand how it could be annoying, but I feel that this is the kind of thing that is fact mostly used for everything when you want to criticize someone, right ? :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Atario wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:Ever known a hemophiliac? Same principle.
Wait, what? You mean a hypochondriac?
Yeah, I don't see how bleeding profusely has anything to do with being an attention-seeker :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

What ? I still remember that guy who had a heart attack in pub..what a attention whore! :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Leaty wrote:If you literally think the spectrum of sexuality is solely limited to straight-bi-gay-ace, you vastly underestimate the fluidity of sexuality, genders and its permutations. You're pithily dismissing a whole swathe of people with varied characteristics and lives.

I'm not dismissing anything but you're welcome to pretend.
I never even came close to saying sexuality is limited to those four things. All I said was that all sexuality has been categorized, which it has.
And I'm not inaccurate about the meaning of that term. You are. And that's okay.
metalangel wrote:They didn't say it was an orientation, but an example of how incredibly varied human sexuality is.
Well, he was going on about orientation (bi, het, homo, etcetera) then threw furries into the mix as if they were some separate thing...:lol:
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Charmant wrote:I never even came close to saying sexuality is limited to those four things. All I said was that all sexuality has been categorized, which it has.
A stunning revelation by the renowned sexologist, Forums Poster Charmant, PhD
Charmant wrote:And I'm not inaccurate about the meaning of that term. You are. And that's okay.
Literally the first thing Google lists after Urban Dictionary.