Favourite artworks - reprise.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Steinherz

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Steinherz »

KeiichiO wrote:
Charmant wrote:With an answer that's relevant to the question (which isn't literal), of course. Or, in appropriate company, "my dick".
Blah blah blah blah GAME GRUMPS.

Real talk: Not being able to see Hisao's other eye in the screenshot is really freaking me out...
Well Hisao was drawn at least early on with a missing eye :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Atario wrote: Hmm. You, uh, wanted to see this scene quite a bit…
That's not a bad price for that piece of artwork, the detail involved, and especially if there was a lot of back and forth on it.

There's a bit of a controversy in the "commission" community right now where you have a ton of newer artists that are charging way less for stuff than older veterans and undercutting what the rates used to be. The piece I had commissioned from Saki cost be about a quarter of what it would have a few years ago.

There's a legitimate movement in the community to get people to charge more for their work because they're underselling their own abilities and are worth a lot more, but a lot of the people who have jumped on that bandwagon are upset because they can't charge what they used to.

It also doesn't help when some of these newer artists are a lot better than the old guard.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
slagman5

Post by slagman5 »

Eurobeatjester wrote:
That's not a bad price for that piece of artwork, the detail involved, and especially if there was a lot of back and forth on it.

There's a bit of a controversy in the "commission" community right now where you have a ton of newer artists that are charging way less for stuff than older veterans and undercutting what the rates used to be. The piece I had commissioned from Saki cost be about a quarter of what it would have a few years ago.

There's a legitimate movement in the community to get people to charge more for their work because they're underselling their own abilities and are worth a lot more, but a lot of the people who have jumped on that bandwagon are upset because they can't charge what they used to.

It also doesn't help when some of these newer artists are a lot better than the old guard.
I agree with you. It's one thing if it's a quick caricature like you see sidewalk artists draw (no offense to them, of course that takes skill as well, but those are very quick and doesn't take up a lot of time), but this drawing took up a lot of time from him. There was a lot of concept pieces that he drew for me that in themselves were quite detailed and artistic, yet they were just to discuss possible poses, backgrounds, and other details. And honestly, if I had the artistic ability to do that, I wouldn't be charging anywhere close to under $100 for that. That's a skill that not every one possesses, so I think that it deserves a bit of a premium. If it's something just anyone can do, then I can see not charging much for it. The way I see it, an hour for specialized work should cost much more than an hour of non-specialized work.

And even knowing that maybe if I shopped around I could probably find a better "deal," working with Eduardo was very nice as he was really receptive of any changes or alterations to his work. For example, on the original pre-final drawing, where it was basically done, just needed to do some shading and other finishing touches, he sent it to me to make sure everything was ok. But I found that he made the top of Rin's head slightly too large. I was kind of afraid to say something, hoping it wouldn't insult him, but based on our conversations prior to that, I felt that he should be pretty receptive on what I had to say, so I told him about it, and he was happy to fix it for me without making any fuss over it. I know he was cool about it because I offered to pay him a little more since it was supposed to be done and I was asking for an alteration, but he turned it down and told me that he only would charge more if I was actually changing something, that was something he felt he might have drawn a little off, so he was fine with fixing it for me. So in the future, I wouldn't mind working with him again even if someone else might be cheaper. The only way I might approach a different artist is if I was looking for a very different style than what Eduardo does.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Eurobeatjester wrote:
That very well may be, but… I couldn't see dropping that much on something for a lark. Not to mention spending the time going through consultations and feedback and what-have-you.
There's a bit of a controversy in the "commission" community right now where you have a ton of newer artists that are charging way less for stuff than older veterans and undercutting what the rates used to be.
It's far from a new situation. The rules of art and the rules of commerce have been in tension forever.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Cheapchip

Post by Cheapchip »

slagman5 wrote: I rather not get too detailed with the pricing,
Why is everybody talking about the price when he doesn't actually want to talk about it?

However, in my opinion, 100 USD (that's 1.2 million IDR for me) is a fair price, considering the fact that the artwork is detailed and commissioned. My reasoning for saying that is based on what I saw in my school's art exhibition. The prices of artworks in that exhibition varied from 500k to 2M IDR (40 - 160 USD), depending on who the artist was, a student or the art teachers.

Price topic aside,
Steinherz wrote:Well Hisao was drawn at least early on with a missing eye
Having Pirate Eye is cooler than Arrhythmia, I think. But having both is probably also cool when Hisao says, "Ye know lad, I have AARRRRRR-rhythmia!"
My background for my phone is from Imperfect Spectrum KS Artbook.
I'm using this as my signature because you must be a curious person to open the spoiler.
Since you are curious, I'm telling you one random thing about me.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Cheapchip wrote:
slagman5 wrote: I rather not get too detailed with the pricing,
Why is everybody talking about the price when he doesn't actually want to talk about it?
He doesn't have to talk about it, but we don't have to refrain from talking about it.
Having Pirate Eye is cooler than Arrhythmia, I think. But having both is probably also cool when Hisao says, "Ye know lad, I have AARRRRRR-rhythmia!"
"Aye, Emi, sure an' I'll be a pirate wi' ye. Or even without! AHAHAHA!!"

Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Atario wrote: That very well may be, but… I couldn't see dropping that much on something for a lark. Not to mention spending the time going through consultations and feedback and what-have-you.
In adult life I've spent far more money on things less permanent, or at least things that all I have now are photos. I cosplay and routinely drop hundreds of dollars into outfits I'm only going to wear once or twice and then never wear again. Or I spend money for items in MMOs specifically because I like the look.

At least with this, its something very cool that benefits the community, and I'm probably going to commission Eduard for something non-KS related :P
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Atario

Post by Atario »

Eurobeatjester wrote:At least with this, its something very cool that benefits the community, and I'm probably going to commission Eduard for something non-KS related :P
I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, and haven't been saying so all along. But I am saying that's a level of commitment. That can be taken as a positive just as easily as anything else!

slagman5

Post by slagman5 »

Atario wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:At least with this, its something very cool that benefits the community, and I'm probably going to commission Eduard for something non-KS related :P
I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, and haven't been saying so all along. But I am saying that's a level of commitment. That can be taken as a positive just as easily as anything else!
Don't worry, I don't take offense to it, it is a lot of money to spend, but it's something that I like, so it's worth it to me. But I definitely not going to commission another piece for at least a few years, lol.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Some new stuff from DeviantArt.

D'aaaaw
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Steinherz wrote:Some new stuff from DeviantArt.

D'aaaaw
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/ ... 82277p.png
N'aaaw. Fuzzy.

I've not been here a while and can't be arsed to file back through the pages, so apologies if this has already been posted, but I saw this and thought it was really neat.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/ ... 766a1s.png

(Decided to url it as opposed to img it as it's huge.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

D'aaaaw
Last edited by Silentcook on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images that were just posted, people...
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

D'aaaaw
Is that supposed to be their daughter? I'd imagine they'd look older, unless Lilly's birth control somehow failed during her route...
Atario

Post by Atario »

Is that supposed to be their daughter? Because she looks like she's supposed to be maybe eight or so, but they sure don't look eight years older. Could be interference from the art style, though.

But yeah, d'awww

ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

D'aaaaw
Those eyes freak me out :shock:
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.