A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Munchenhausen »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:So is it now or later i tell everyone its pronounced "Reen"
Here we go again :lol:

Surely you pronounce the character's names in your own native accent? :P Do you say Lilly as 'Ree-Ree'?
No, beause Lilly is an English name, Rin isnt, I tend to pronounce names in their native language, not my own.
Would you pronounce Pierre with that guttural, back-of-the-throat 'R' the French seem to love? :lol: haha I'll stop, I dont mean to pick.

besides, I estimate T-5mins until SilentCook has to intervene again :P
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Language is stupid. Let's just leave it at that.
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Google says it means Phosphorus - appropriate name I guess :P Also the pronunciation seems to concur with the earlier posted translator, though it says it a bit more slowly.

I was going to post some art here to wrench this back on topic, but I think all the the images that don't suck have already been posted :(

SilientCook will have to do something though I suppose, because in the process of looking for more pics, I found another link to PM him for someplace selling pillows.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

300BillionDegrees wrote:Google says it means Phosphorus - appropriate name I guess :P Also the pronunciation seems to concur with the earlier posted translator, though it says it a bit more slowly.
Actually, the Kanji for the (male) name meaning Phosphorus is 燐. The Kanji for Rin's name is 琳, which is Lin.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Don't make me have to punch the ridiculously adorable prosecutor. :|

I know Lilly's canonically an alright cook but I love the idea of her constantly fucking it up in dumb ways but nobody ever says anything out of politeness. :lol: Actually, cooking and baking are different enough that this can be headcanon anyway:

300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Steinherz wrote:
300BillionDegrees wrote:Google says it means Phosphorus - appropriate name I guess :P Also the pronunciation seems to concur with the earlier posted translator, though it says it a bit more slowly.
Actually, the Kanji for the (male) name meaning Phosphorus is 燐. The Kanji for Rin's name is 琳, which is Lin.
Google! Image

edit: it also looks like Lilly's cakes come out better than mine :?
Atario

Post by Atario »

We should form a group to campaign for this. We'll call ourselves the Rin Beans.
Valjean Lafitte wrote:It just so happens that the laws of proper Japanese pronunciation don't stop millions of non-Japanese from saying "Ryu" as "Ree-you" or "Rye-you" either.
The laws of proper civil conduct don't stop millions of people from murdering other people; why should the laws of proper Japanese pronunciation stop them from murdering Japanese words?
And, if I'm not mistaken, most words that end with "in" would be pronounced with an "een" sound in the Japanese accent.
They have an excuse: there's no "ih" sound in Japanese. Closest they have is "ee". We have no such excuse — we have an "ee" sound. Not using it is ignorance; continuing once one is told is willful ignorance.

Don't get me wrong; it's still somewhat lazy for someone not to try to get at least one native accent right in a language being learned; but far lazier for someone who has no trouble saying "ee" to say "ih" instead.
Munchenhausen wrote:Would you pronounce Pierre with that guttural, back-of-the-throat 'R' the French seem to love? :lol:
That's not what this is, though. This is like saying it as pie-air instead of pee-air because unlearning a bad habit is too much of a bother.
besides, I estimate T-5mins until SilentCook has to intervene again :P
Why should he, with all the self-cooking everyone around here does…
Charmant wrote:I know Lilly's canonically an alright cook but I love the idea of her constantly fucking it up in dumb ways but nobody ever says anything out of politeness. :lol: Actually, cooking and baking are different enough that this can be headcanon anyway:

[DerpCake.png]
It's a funny picture, but kinda really dumb. She's blind, not unable to feel basic shapes. People forget she can even write neatly with a pen on paper, given the motivation and time. Not squashing a large cylinder should be a snap.

And now, some rare Iwanako art.

You cannot change the past…
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Atario wrote:
And, if I'm not mistaken, most words that end with "in" would be pronounced with an "een" sound in the Japanese accent.
They have an excuse: there's no "ih" sound in Japanese. Closest they have is "ee". We have no such excuse — we have an "ee" sound. Not using it is ignorance; continuing once one is told is willful ignorance.

Don't get me wrong; it's still somewhat lazy for someone not to try to get at least one native accent right in a language being learned; but far lazier for someone who has no trouble saying "ee" to say "ih" instead.
I'll probably still say Rin with an "ih" sound out of habit, but it's not because I'm willfully ignorant or trying to pronounce it wrong. For years I pronounced Navi from Ocarina of Time's name as "Nav-eye" simply because I didn't know any better, and I still occasionally slip up and say it that way. I feel silly when I do, but old habits are hard to break.

But besides all that, I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say. If we're going to be pronunciation nazis and elitists, we should at least recognize a few facts: 1), that the letters "in" very rarely, if ever, read as "een" in the English language. Sure, we have words like "piña colada" but those are borrowed words, and ones that were never tampered with. In Rin's case there are no accent marks when her name is written in the game, and if there were there would certainly be no excuse for saying it wrong, just as people have no excuse for reading Pokemon wrong (no accented "e" on this phones keyboard, sorry). If we insist on pronouncing words the the way sound in their native tongue rather than how they would read in our native tongue then 2), a joke like "Rin in a bin" isn't the time to be a pronunciation snob (no offense, but it does come across that way). If anything, you should be applying the same rules of pronunciation to the word "bin". AFAIK Japan isn't really as big on making words rhyme as the rest of the world is, but it isn't uncommon to use English words now and then, especially for humorous effect. So all I'm saying is, "Rin in a Bin" can still rhyme. And it does rhyme in the Japanese tongue; that text-to-speech link I posted proves that, I think.

TL;DR Just read it as "Reen in a been" if it makes you happy. ;)

EDIT: It might be a moot point to argue over either way. Over on the subreddit Crowst posted an example from Usagi Drop of "Rin" rhyming with "bin":
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Atario

Post by Atario »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:If we're going to be pronunciation nazis and elitists
Lemme stop you right there. There's nothing elitist about saying words right. And there's especially nothing Nazi-like about respecting people enough to at least get their names as close to right as you can. If you ever meet a Rin in real life, I hope you don't piss him/her off by neglecting to do that.
the letters "in" very rarely, if ever, read as "een" in the English language.
That might mean something if we were talking about English words. We're not. "Rin" is a particular romanization of a Japanese word. The sequence of letters used to stand in does not change the pronunciation of the word.
Sure, we have words like "piña colada" but those are borrowed words, and ones that were never tampered with. In Rin's case there are no accent marks
Accent marks are a tip-off, but the lack of them is not an excuse. We say pizza as "peet-zah" (not "pihz-zuh") because that's more or less how the Italians who gave us the word said it. This is why English spelling and pronunciation is such a hodgepodge; we often keep the original spelling and pronunciation (as much as we can), so we end up with mutually incompatible rules. "Rin" is a case caused by an imperfect romanization system, but it's at least consistent once you identify the source language, as with most other imported words.

Anyway, I'm just gonna leave these here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_pronunciation
http://ask.metafilter.com/266681/Lookin ... -ever-read
a joke like "Rin in a bin" isn't the time to be a pronunciation snob
There's no other time for it. The joke depends on a mispronunciation being accepted as correct. It's a flawed premise. Thus the joke fails for anyone who actually knows what he's talking about, and for that person to keep it to himself is doing everyone else a disservice by keeping them in the dark. It's like someone making a joke about the pointlessness of sugarless chocolate — "How stupid, who is this for, amirite?" — in front of a diabetic.

But beyond that, there are two ways to take corrections on long-standing mistakes (in general, not just in language).
  1. That guy's an asshole because he thinks he's better than me! Fuck him and fuck his "correction"!
  2. Hah, man, I can't believe I was making that mistake all this time. Live and learn!
you should be applying the same rules of pronunciation to the word "bin"
I hope I don't have to point out by now that bin (this one, anyway) is not a Japanese word.
EDIT: It might be a moot point to argue over either way. Over on the subreddit Crowst posted an example from Usagi Drop of "Rin" rhyming with "bin":
Still sounds like "reen" to me. That he barks it makes it easier to pretend about, but…

Hey, look over there, it's an actual picture!

Seasonally-appropriate best girls

brythain

Post by brythain »

Atario wrote:Hey, look over there, it's an actual picture!

Seasonally-appropriate best girls
Ah, beautiful. Lilly of Spring, Hanako of Winter; who would you give for Autumn and Summer?
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

brythain wrote:Lilly of Spring, Hanako of Winter; who would you give for Autumn and Summer?
I guess I think of Lilly for Winter (she says she prefers it in-game), and Hanako as Fall (she's thin, so she probably gets cold easily; it would give a convenient excuse to bundle (i.e., cover) up, without it being too rough). After that, I guess I see Emi as Spring (energy!!1!) and Rin as Summer (languid and carefree). Shizune and Misha, of course, are present year-round, because they never let up. :P

Cheapchip

Post by Cheapchip »

Associating seasons with girls? Now I wish I could experience all four seasons :( Here in Indonesia there are only two seasons : wet (to the point of flooding) and dry (to the point of widespread drought)

With the two seasons system, I think Rin and Hanako is Wet Season (Rin : she likes it in-game, i think. Hanako : her BGM is Raindrops and Puddles (other than Jitter and Painful History)), while Shizune and Misha is Dry Season (the sun is intense and harsh like Shizune in this season :D )

four seasons? no idea, never experienced it. I'll just agree and follow Atario.
My background for my phone is from Imperfect Spectrum KS Artbook.
I'm using this as my signature because you must be a curious person to open the spoiler.
Since you are curious, I'm telling you one random thing about me.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

I'm not going to quote you much Atario, because I don't want to argue with you. I love your posts on the subreddit, I love your posts here..I really like you and I don't want to stir up any more anger in you, especially over something like this.
But let me clear up a few things:

I was not even remotely implying that you or CoffeeDrive are "elitist" because you both place a high value on pronouncing names correctly. No, of course I agree that it is important to do so, and I am a little insulted that you think me so ignorant that I'd think otherwise.

The "elitist" remark stemmed from quotes like these:
Atario @ /katawashoujo) wrote: Fun fact: Rin sounds like "green".
CoffeeDrive wrote:Is it now or later I tell them that her name sounds like "Reen"?
There are dozens of ways you can kindly tell people that they are mistakenly mispronouncing a name without sounding smug or arrogant. The two examples shown above are not good ones.

A "pronunciation nazi" is like a grammar nazi. It's someone who routinely pops up to point out the pronunciation mistakes of others, and does so in a way that seems angry. Your entire post has a very negative tone to it. You diced my message into mini-quotes as if you had to attack me with righteous fury at every point. Your anger was not well-hidden, nor was your pride. If you somehow think that statements like..
Atario wrote:I hope I don't have to point out by now that bin isn't a Japanese word
..do not seem to drip with condescension, you are mistaken. But you do know that, and I won't pretend you don't know what you as an equal human being obviously know.

What do I know? I know that bin isn't a Japanese word. I know that Rin is a Japanese name. I know that, in Japanese, it is not unheard of to use English words. I know that this makes the phrase "rin in a bin" a remotely possible thing that Japanese person could say, and that if said in such an accent it would provide the exact context that that joke is looking for. Maybe that's a silly point to make. Maybe it isn't even a point at all. But does it imply that I am an idiot trying to haphazardly make words from different languages rhyme? If your response was any indication, I guess it did.

You said that there are two ways to take corrections on mistakes. Here's a third:
  • 3. This guy isn't telling me anything I don't already know, and he sure is being a prick about it.
Maybe when you get a reaction like 1. on your list, it's because you *are* coming across that way. You aren't saying "Actually, not to be a buzzkill or anything, but Rin doesn't actually rhyme with "bin", it rhymes with "green." No, in this golden age of online communication where civil discourse is becoming a lost art, you burst in with "Fun fact: Rin rhymes with "green!".

You're an American too, Atario. You know that when we say a thing like that out loud, it's usually with a smug look and a sarcastic tone; you're certainly not doing it to share a "fun fact" after all, but to point out how wrong and ridiculous you think something is. So in my case, whereas I knew how "Rin" would be pronounced in her native accent but did not give enough of a crap to not post a silly rhyme that I knew 99% of the readers out there could appreciate, I can tell you straight up that 1. and 2. were definitely not on the table.

I have nothing more to add to this except to say that the clip from the anime Crowst posted sounds at worst like "Ree-in" (not far from bin) and at best, exactly like "bin". If you are right, I apologize. If you are wrong, you've wasted a lot of anger and condescension. That's all. SilentCook, if you are reading this and think I should have just dropped the matter: I apologize, and please don't cook me.
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
brythain

Post by brythain »

This thread suddenly became 'favourite artworks — reprisals'. :D

I always think of Emi as Summer and Rin as Autumn.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Looks like I rustled someones jimmies.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl