Favourite artworks - reprise.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Atario

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Atario »

Silentcook wrote:
Silentcook wrote:Okay, get a room, you two.
What, we're just discussing the pretty pix! And you'll note I took care to include more…

Let no one say I don't know how to buy insurance
Valjean Lafitte wrote:Only one more day till Hallowrin.. :twisted:
♪ Silver Shamrock! ♫ 8)
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Anyone else have to remind themselves that Emi is actually the oldest girl Hisao can date?

Just me?
Actually, Lilly is - Lilly turned 18 before the school year that is depicted in KS. If she had progressed normally through school, she'd have graduated in March, while Hisao was still in the hospital. So, somewhere she lost a year... just like Emi.

And Rin is either 17, or a day older than Emi.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

bhtooefr wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:Anyone else have to remind themselves that Emi is actually the oldest girl Hisao can date?

Just me?
Actually, Lilly is - Lilly turned 18 before the school year that is depicted in KS. If she had progressed normally through school, she'd have graduated in March, while Hisao was still in the hospital. So, somewhere she lost a year... just like Emi.

And Rin is either 17, or a day older than Emi.
I am not quite sure how this explains how Lilly is older than Emi...
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

For a student that's normally progressing through the Japanese school system, if you'll be 18 on 04-01, you graduate high school in March.

Lilly turned 18 on 2007-02-07. She's in her third year (meaning she hasn't graduated) during the events of the VN, meaning she's a year behind.

Emi is canonically a year behind. That means she turned 18 on 2007-03-14 (and she's actually 18, not 19, during the events of her route, although she's still a school year older than Hisao, so her line still works).

If Rin isn't a year behind, she turned 18 on 2008-03-13... well after the events of her route, meaning that she'd be 17 during her route. Given the implications of that, and the KS team's care to make sure everyone was 18 before being depicted in sexual acts... I go the other way and choose to interpret her as also being a year behind (and that's more believable than Lilly being a year behind, but the only way to resolve the contradictions of real-world facts with canon is that Lilly is a year behind), meaning she's a day older than Emi.

So, the only ones who aren't behind are Hisao (who had his birthday in the hospital), Shizune, Hanako, and Misha, in approximate descending order of age (Hisao may be slightly younger than Shizune, but more likely that he's older).
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:*lots of correct stuff*

(Hisao may be slightly younger than Shizune, but more likely that he's older).
Actually, his birthday that year is most likely on 1 April 2007, since that would fit in with what Aura (jokingly or otherwise) said here, as well as with the timeline in general. We know he started school on 4 June 2007 at Yamaku, and that the Iwanako incident took place in winter (probably in February, judging from the snow). Shizune's birthday is on 6 May, so she's younger by about five weeks.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Although 2007-04-01 would actually mean that Hisao lost a year somewhere BEFORE his heart attack, if that link is at all right.

And, I'm figuring that his birthday was more than 2 weeks prior to him going to Yamaku, by the simple fact that if it were recent, he would've mentioned it. Simple probability leaves more days between 2007-04-02 and 2007-05-06, than between 2007-05-06 and 2007-05-20ish.
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:Although 2007-04-01 would actually mean that Hisao lost a year somewhere BEFORE his heart attack, if that link is at all right.
If he had the heart attack at the end of his second year before official graduation (but just after 2nd-year examinations), then he turned 18 in hospital and transferred into 3rd year at Yamaku. So, that's fine then. Alternatively, they advanced him without the examinations (since most of the time, Japanese schools don't allow for retention).

If we follow the 1 Apr thing strictly for Yamaku (just to play the canon game) then a lot of people are 1 year behind. So Hisao turns nineteen shortly after graduation, and his 3rd year was bust due to not taking examinations (i.e special case scenario).
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I mean, I'll be honest, my real opinion here is that it's a case of Critical Research Failure, but for world-building (which I know the devs weren't trying to do), one has to work with what they're given. And, changing in-game canon (in Lilly's case) is a real pain, whereas reinterpreting in-game canon in a way that still makes sense (in Emi's case) is easier.
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:I mean, I'll be honest, my real opinion here is that it's a case of Critical Research Failure, but for world-building (which I know the devs weren't trying to do), one has to work with what they're given. And, changing in-game canon (in Lilly's case) is a real pain, whereas reinterpreting in-game canon in a way that still makes sense (in Emi's case) is easier.
There's always the 0.03 percent of exemptions due to health reasons etc (Kawaguchi, 2010). True, true.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Still don't fully understand how that all works, but what can I do. I myself graduated a year early, so I'd figured that there is no age you have to be at a particular school year. But again, Japan. Enough said. :|
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I think we can all agree that whatever age they are, they're all pretty fuckable ;)

Particularly Hisako
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

bhtooefr wrote:Given the implications of that, and the KS team's care to make sure everyone was 18 before being depicted in sexual acts...
Actually, most Visual Novels involving High School kids just use "High School age" so (anywhere from 14-18) in sexual acts but just don't specifically state the ages.
Also, teens have sex. No one will believe that no one under 18 ever had/has thought about sex :lol:
Mahorfeus wrote:Still don't fully understand how that all works, but what can I do. I myself graduated a year early, so I'd figured that there is no age you have to be at a particular school year. But again, Japan. Enough said. :|
And Age of Consent in Japan is 13 (yes, really :lol: )
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Steinherz wrote: And Age of Consent in Japan is 13 (yes, really :lol: )
I was going to made a comment on that, but then I had remember that wheres I lives, age of consent will maybe become 14. :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Zarys wrote:
Steinherz wrote: And Age of Consent in Japan is 13 (yes, really :lol: )
I was going to made a comment on that, but then I had remember that wheres I lives, age of consent will maybe become 14. :mrgreen:
Well that, and that all the individual prefectures set it higher, so the national age doesn't matter much anyways.

edit: well, according to Wikipedia, it's a bit more complicated than that, but the basic point still stands.
Last edited by FelOnyx on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.