Favourite artworks - reprise.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by CoffeeDrive » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke, Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke, Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke,
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
Kibaro
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Kibaro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:54 pm

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke, Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke, Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke,
Care to explain?Care to explain?Care to explain?Care to explain?Care to explain?

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by bhtooefr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Is it just me, or does that Emi look like she's 5 or 6?

She didn't lose her legs until she was 10 (based on Japanese school law (putting her at 18 (not 19, as her birthday is before the school year changeover), combined with her birthday and the accident being 8 years prior).
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Steinherz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:11 pm

bhtooefr wrote:Is it just me, or does that Emi look like she's 5 or 6?

She didn't lose her legs until she was 10 (based on Japanese school law (putting her at 18 (not 19, as her birthday is before the school year changeover), combined with her birthday and the accident being 8 years prior).
Remember: Emi's 19 and looks like she's 14.

Besides, does fanart really have to make sense?
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by CoffeeDrive » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Kibaro wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:
Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke, Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke, Dont make an Oscar Pistorious joke,
Care to explain?Care to explain?Care to explain?Care to explain?Care to explain?
He murdered his girlfriend "By accident" in south africa by shooting through the bathroom door because he thought it was a burglar.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
Kibaro
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Kibaro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:39 pm

CoffeeDrive wrote:
He murdered his girlfriend "By accident" in south africa by shooting through the bathroom door because he thought it was a burglar.
i know about that, i didn't get the Don't make a Oscar What's-his-name joke thing, which i'm guessing it's related to KS maybe?:3

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by CoffeeDrive » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Kibaro wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:
He murdered his girlfriend "By accident" in south africa by shooting through the bathroom door because he thought it was a burglar.
i know about that, i didn't get the Don't make a Oscar What's-his-name joke thing, which i'm guessing it's related to KS maybe?:3
No, that was me resisting the urge not to make a joke about him...
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by bhtooefr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Steinherz wrote:Remember: Emi's 19 and looks like she's 14.

Besides, does fanart really have to make sense?
Well, she looks like she's 10 in some of the CGs, but I digress. That's... not exactly how aging works.

I'm not budging on her being 18, though. The third year of high school in Japan, normally, students turn 18 during that school year. So, having skipped one year, Emi will turn 19 during her third year, due to the year she skipped... but her birthday is canonically 03-14. The graveyard scene is clearly well before 2008-03-14, most likely in 2007-07 or 2007-08.

(Basically, what I'm saying is, Emi is mistaken about being a year older than Hisao, except in the school year sense (where, if she hadn't skipped a year, she'd have already graduated). At most, she's 2.5 months older, and she could be as little as 2.5 weeks older - Hisao's birthdate would have been between 1989-04-02 (IIRC that's how that works - if I'm wrong, it's 1989-04-01) and 1989-06-03 (most likely earlier than 06-03, unless they literally released him the day before he transferred to Yamaku).)

The problematic ones, really, are Rin and Lilly (unless Rin skipped a year, she's 17 during her entire route, and Lilly must have skipped a year (because she was canonically 18 during her route) somewhere).
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
dewelar
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: The Fifth Thing

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by dewelar » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:13 pm

bhtooefr wrote:I'm not budging on her being 18, though. The third year of high school in Japan, normally, students turn 18 during that school year. So, having skipped one year, Emi will turn 19 during her third year, due to the year she skipped... but her birthday is canonically 03-14. The graveyard scene is clearly well before 2008-03-14, most likely in 2007-07 or 2007-08.
Her canon birth year is 1988 just as much as her canon birth date is 03-14, since they have the same point of origin, and it isn't the game text. There's no sense in lemon-picking your info, because if you don't feel bound by one, you don't have to feel bound by the other.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!

User avatar
demonix
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by demonix » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Steinherz wrote:Remember: Emi's 19 and looks like she's 14.

Besides, does fanart really have to make sense?
Well, she looks like she's 10 in some of the CGs, but I digress. That's... not exactly how aging works.

I'm not budging on her being 18, though. The third year of high school in Japan, normally, students turn 18 during that school year. So, having skipped one year, Emi will turn 19 during her third year, due to the year she skipped... but her birthday is canonically 03-14. The graveyard scene is clearly well before 2008-03-14, most likely in 2007-07 or 2007-08.

(Basically, what I'm saying is, Emi is mistaken about being a year older than Hisao, except in the school year sense (where, if she hadn't skipped a year, she'd have already graduated). At most, she's 2.5 months older, and she could be as little as 2.5 weeks older - Hisao's birthdate would have been between 1989-04-02 (IIRC that's how that works - if I'm wrong, it's 1989-04-01) and 1989-06-03 (most likely earlier than 06-03, unless they literally released him the day before he transferred to Yamaku).)

The problematic ones, really, are Rin and Lilly (unless Rin skipped a year, she's 17 during her entire route, and Lilly must have skipped a year (because she was canonically 18 during her route) somewhere).
But during one of the Hanako birthday scenes (I'm not sure if it was in her's or Lilly's route or both) it is mentioned that Lilly is the older of the two despite her birthday being around two months before the start of the school year (unless this is an error in the story), so Emi could be 19 even though her birthday is in March.

User avatar
Kibaro
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Kibaro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:17 pm

dewelar wrote: Her canon birth year is 1988 just as much as her canon birth date is 03-14, since they have the same point of origin, and it isn't the game text. There's no sense in lemon-picking your info, because if you don't feel bound by one, you don't have to feel bound by the other.
The mature side of me: Hmm, yes i agree with these statements

The immature side of me: hehe...lemon-picking

sorry >_< :3

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by bhtooefr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:20 pm

demonix wrote:But during one of the Hanako birthday scenes (I'm not sure if it was in her's or Lilly's route or both) it is mentioned that Lilly is the older of the two despite her birthday being around two months before the start of the school year (unless this is an error in the story), so Emi could be 19 even though her birthday is in March.
Only if Emi skipped two years, not one.

And the combination of reality and Lilly being 18 despite having had a birthday in February means that Lilly skipped a year somewhere, whether that's due to being on a different school year (but the Catholic schools that she'd likely have gone to are all on the Japanese school year, not a Western school year, AFAIK), or her family delaying entry under the exceptions to Japanese school law. (Honestly, my headcanon is that her family held her back.)

Rin, I could go with either her autism (or whatever it is) resulting in her being held back, or her just being 17.
Last edited by bhtooefr on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
Kibaro
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Kibaro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 pm

guys, let' not change the topic of this thread please :3

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by KeiichiO » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Kibaro wrote:guys, let' not change the topic of this thread please :3
Don't rent-a-mod please.

Upside down is best position.
Image

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by Guest Poster » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:42 pm

(Basically, what I'm saying is, Emi is mistaken about being a year older than Hisao, except in the school year sense (where, if she hadn't skipped a year, she'd have already graduated). At most, she's 2.5 months older, and she could be as little as 2.5 weeks older - Hisao's birthdate would have been between 1989-04-02 (IIRC that's how that works - if I'm wrong, it's 1989-04-01) and 1989-06-03 (most likely earlier than 06-03, unless they literally released him the day before he transferred to Yamaku).)

The problematic ones, really, are Rin and Lilly (unless Rin skipped a year, she's 17 during her entire route, and Lilly must have skipped a year (because she was canonically 18 during her route) somewhere).
Yes, yes, we know about that little caveat in the Japanese school system. Here's another one...Japan doesn't do skipping OR repeating grades. At the end of a year, the entire group goes up exactly one grade...even bad students or exceptionally good students. It's part of the group-oriented process. That would make things even more problematic IF we were unable to accept that the devs probably overlooked the fact that some of the girls' birthdays fall in different school years, but then we'd have to come up with explanations why several of the girls either skipped or repeated a year. That's probably a cure that's worse than the disease.

Assuming that the school year rule doesn't exist in Katawa Shoujo's Japan: takes about an ounce of suspension of disbelief.
Any theory about Lilly/Rin skipping or repeating grades, which they officially can't: takes several gallons of suspension of disbelief.

Likewise, I accept the fact that Lilly and Akira have blond hair, despite being half asian because the idea of Lilly's mom being impregnated twice by a european behind her husband's back and then keeping up appearances is ten times worse than simply accepting that in Katawa Shoujo's universe, half-asians can still be natural blondes with wavey hair and blue eyes.

Sometimes you have to be a little pragmatic about things.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

Post Reply