Can Shizune read lips?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nikola Tesla

Can Shizune read lips?

Post by Nikola Tesla »

"...before either of you noticed me, I saw what you were saying. I'm not stupid." I know that can be interpreted as having signed on reflex but in those tense circumstances it doesn't make sense.
Steinherz

Re: Can Shizune read lips?

Post by Steinherz »

Nikola Tesla wrote:"...before either of you noticed me, I saw what you were saying. I'm not stupid." I know that can be interpreted as having signed on reflex but in those tense circumstances it doesn't make sense.
Well it's mentioned in the beta (or was it the "not-supposed-to-be-talked-about" Alpha) that Shizune can read lips.
I don't think it's stated if she can do so in the actual VN though
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

The question has been raised and discussed before.
So far there is no definite, authoritative answer.
(And good luck getting one from A22...)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Nikola Tesla

Post by Nikola Tesla »

It's obvious now: "The door to the student council room is open, and Hideaki and I walk in on Jigoro in mid-rant. He sees us, but decides that it's not something worth stopping rambling at Shizune over. This is really shaking my faith in my previous assumption." I wonder why it's revealed so subtly not considering the implications.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

How is that making anything obvious?
It's not like Shizune not being able to read lips would stop Jigoro from rambling...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Nikola Tesla wrote:It's obvious now: "The door to the student council room is open, and Hideaki and I walk in on Jigoro in mid-rant. He sees us, but decides that it's not something worth stopping rambling at Shizune over. This is really shaking my faith in my previous assumption." I wonder why it's revealed so subtly not considering the implications.
I gotta say, I don't remember it being said either Hideaki or Jirogo know JSL, do they?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Mirage_GSM wrote:How is that making anything obvious?
It's not like Shizune not being able to read lips would stop Jigoro from rambling...
Yes, Jigoro seems to be the kind of person to do that.
Munchenhausen wrote:I gotta say, I don't remember it being said either Hideaki or Jirogo know JSL, do they?
Jigoro doesn't, Hideaki somewhat learns it from Hisao
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I would say probably for my own head canon, but who knows?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

It was deliberately left ambiguous. The question is asked, but no answer is given.

Why?

Because it's not important to the plot. Shizune didn't need to know what was being said to react the way she did. The ambiguity is part of the point. Besides, lip reading isn't easy or reliable. It's a helpful aid, and can be workable for normal conversation if you're good at it, but it's a very poor substitute for direct communication.

My personal opinion? I figure that there's enough evidence to support the likelihood that she can read lips, and that she's good at it, too. But it's all educated guessing. The canon leaves it possible to go either way.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Nikola Tesla

Post by Nikola Tesla »

Indeed, I see now it was addressed in afterthought without the emphasis it warrants.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Nikola Tesla wrote:Indeed, I see now it was addressed in afterthought without the emphasis it warrants.
It doesn't warrant emphasis though...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Xaredian
Location: Elysium, Crytar, Terranova, somewhere in the universe

Post by Xaredian »

Steinherz wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:I gotta say, I don't remember it being said either Hideaki or Jirogo know JSL, do they?
That seems sad. A father unwilling to learn Japanese sign language, just to talk to his daughter/her to talk to him. But, the guy's a douche, anyways.
To be remembered by anyone after death is the goal of basically every soul that's lived in this world.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

From what I remember and understand, even if she can, it's the most basic stuff. She doesn't have the time to watch other people's mouthes, while simultaneously watching Misha's wrists.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Xaredian wrote:
Steinherz wrote:
That seems sad. A father unwilling to learn Japanese sign language, just to talk to his daughter/her to talk to him. But, the guy's a douche, anyways.
Gosh, that's really sad. I don't know what I'd do without my family.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
dutic

Post by dutic »

Xaredian wrote:
Steinherz wrote:
He also seems like the kind of guy who's very proud of his family line, and honestly I wish there were some hints at how Shizune disappointed him because of her disability. Especially if he blamed himself. Would've added some depth to Jigoro instead of just making him annoying as shit D: