How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's name?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's name?

Post by SpunkySix »

This was brought up in another topic, and I feel like it warrants a full discussion.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Jailbreaker

Re: How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's na

Post by Jailbreaker »

Sounds nice at first, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like it. The problem is that Hisao does things in some routes that I would never have done in that situation - especially in the bad ends. If I were to have the game identify the protagonist as being me, I'd rather it actually be me than some other guy with my name. Once we get to the point where we're offering that many different dialogue options and possible resulting storylines, we're so far removed from the original game that being able to change Hisao's name seems like a minor change.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Changing Hisao's name would serve no real purpose. The guy is his own character.
Not Dead Yet
Potato

Post by Potato »

Allowing the player to change his name would necessitate a full revamp of the game. Characters with custom names are expected to have a large deal of player agency involved in their interactions given that they are more fully you and KS (most VNs, even) doesn't have enough to fulfill that expectation.
Last edited by Potato on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Oddball wrote:Changing Hisao's name would serve no real purpose. The guy is his own character.
Took the words right out of my mouth. It must've been while you were kissing me...
Flarezium

Post by Flarezium »

Hisao means "Long-lived man." Changing it would get rid of the joke.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make.
Potato

Post by Potato »

KeiichiO wrote:
Oddball wrote:Changing Hisao's name would serve no real purpose. The guy is his own character.
Took the words right out of my mouth. It must've been while you were kissing me...
...Keiichi, go to your room. :roll:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Gonna agree with Odball on this one

Sure, it may appeal to some people by being able to change Hisao's name to your own and make the story more immersive, but the way I see it Hisao is a character in his own right.

That and I don't think I could pull off that amazing swaggervest he has. :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Hisao's name is unchangeable because he's not a featureless protagonist.

So, I wouldn't because it'd detract from the VN
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Atario

Post by Atario »

However, it might be amusing (for five minutes) to be able to set it to "Pookums" or "you dumbass" or the like. :lol:
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

No doubt some people would REALLY like to put in their own name for scenes like the one where Lilly has her ILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOU moment, but then those same people would probably be even more prone to avoiding the bad ends of the routes because they wouldn't be able to handle the idea of the girls being angry at them. So yeah, double edged sword.

Like other people said, Hisao's his own character so there's no point in pretending he's a faceless extension of the player.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Atario wrote:However, it might be amusing (for five minutes) to be able to set it to "Pookums" or "you dumbass" or the like. :lol:
"So, King Of Boners, how about you help me to the track shed?"
[Angry/Aroused Face]
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Potato

Post by Potato »

Guest Poster wrote:No doubt some people would REALLY like to put in their own name for scenes like the one where Lilly has her ILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOU moment, but then those same people would probably be even more prone to avoiding the bad ends of the routes because they wouldn't be able to handle the idea of the girls being angry at them. So yeah, double edged sword.

Like other people said, Hisao's his own character so there's no point in pretending he's a faceless extension of the player.
Those people can always go play Artificial Academy. :mrgreen:
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

I'm with Oddball as well. Hisao is a relatively well developed character in his own right and we don't control his every action.

Plus I'd be guilty of changing his name to something like "Taargus Taargus" or "Assholian." Somehow I don't think the events of the VN would have the same effect if that were the case... :lol:
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Potato wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:No doubt some people would REALLY like to put in their own name for scenes like the one where Lilly has her ILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOU moment, but then those same people would probably be even more prone to avoiding the bad ends of the routes because they wouldn't be able to handle the idea of the girls being angry at them. So yeah, double edged sword.

Those people can always go play Artificial Academy. :mrgreen:
What's that?
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014