How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's name?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xaredian
Location: Elysium, Crytar, Terranova, somewhere in the universe

Re: How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's na

Post by Xaredian »

Phyro wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:
Kyler Thatch wrote: Oh, certainly. I never said that wasn't the case.

The thing that I had a problem with was the choice afterwards, while Hisao was talking to Lilly on the phone. Specifically, after he decides not to go to the city with Hanako, and things get really bad, and he decides to get Lilly's input. And then he has the option of taking her advice... except he doesn't, no matter what you clicked on. If it changes absolutely nothing, why even have a choice at all?
This right here.

The point of making choices in an visual novel is to make the protagonist do what YOU want them to do, yes? Or at the very least, preventing them from doing something ball-explodingly stupid?

There's a similar choice early in Act 1 when you first arrive at the cafeteria, where you can choose to ask about "Shizune's Deafeness" (or something along those lines) but if you choose that option, Hisao refuses to do it, says he doesn't know her well enough. Less of a big deal, since unlike the last choice in Hanko's route, this one doesn't friggin' destroy you.
I felt like a lot of the choices were kind of misleading in one way or another, like the (in)famous "comfort Misha" choice. I was among those that had no idea what that would entail.

Then there's also the first choice you're given in the game - whether or not to introduce yourself - which pretty much doesn't affect anything as far as I can tell.
Oh, it effects something. But, it's kinda minor.
To be remembered by anyone after death is the goal of basically every soul that's lived in this world.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Some of the choices were odd for the same reason ME's were sometimes. You're given options that sound a certain way, but you don't really know how far they'll go with it until you pick one. Like the comfort Misha one. To me, that just sounds friendly. Usually when I comfort people, I don't end up pounding the pinkdrills out of them. Then again, I'm a hopeless virgin because I own zero sweater vests.

ME did that with some of the interrupts. Some make it clear what will happen if you use them. Tali is crying, so L trigger makes you help her feel better, or the camera zooms in on a propane tank, so R trigger blows it up. Those are fairly obvious. I hardly think that anybody that didn't know would guess that R trigger in an interview meant punching a bothersome but otherwise peaceful female reporter's freaking lights out, though. I'd have assumed that just made you be mildly rude, if I had to guess. Nope. Bitch gets floored.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Though thats my favorite moment in the whole frenchize
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:ME did that with some of the interrupts. Some make it clear what will happen if you use them. Tali is crying, so L trigger makes you help her feel better, or the camera zooms in on a propane tank, so R trigger blows it up. Those are fairly obvious. I hardly think that anybody that didn't know would guess that R trigger in an interview meant punching a bothersome but otherwise peaceful female reporter's freaking lights out, though. I'd have assumed that just made you be mildly rude, if I had to guess. Nope. Bitch gets floored.
Comrade wrote:Though thats my favorite moment in the whole franchise
Yeah, I have to agree. It was so good that you got to do it three times :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Steinherz wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:ME did that with some of the interrupts. Some make it clear what will happen if you use them. Tali is crying, so L trigger makes you help her feel better, or the camera zooms in on a propane tank, so R trigger blows it up. Those are fairly obvious. I hardly think that anybody that didn't know would guess that R trigger in an interview meant punching a bothersome but otherwise peaceful female reporter's freaking lights out, though. I'd have assumed that just made you be mildly rude, if I had to guess. Nope. Bitch gets floored.
Comrade wrote:Though thats my favorite moment in the whole franchise
Yeah, I have to agree. It was so good that you got to do it three times :lol:
As funny as it is, as a mostly Paragon Shep currently in ME3, I consider the pay off of humiliating her verbally in ME2 and then getting her to grudgingly admire you in ME3 worth it to me.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:As funny as it is, as a mostly Paragon Shep currently in ME3, I consider the pay off of humiliating her verbally in ME2 and then getting her to grudgingly admire you in ME3 worth it to me.
I'm always Paragon, just with some Renegade choices thrown in (the aforementioned gas tank, beginning of Miranda's loyalty mission). Verbally owning her on her own show is hilarious.

Doesn't mean I didn't make a save right before that conversation so I could clock her whenever I felt like it though :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

someguy1294 wrote:
Kyler Thatch wrote:
Atario wrote:It's not a slipup. The decision whether to go to town with her or "call it a day" is more important than the decision of listening to Lilly or not.
Oh, certainly. I never said that wasn't the case.

The thing that I had a problem with was the choice afterwards, while Hisao was talking to Lilly on the phone. Specifically, after he decides not to go to the city with Hanako, and things get really bad, and he decides to get Lilly's input. And then he has the option of taking her advice... except he doesn't, no matter what you clicked on. If it changes absolutely nothing, why even have a choice at all?
This right here.

The point of making choices in an visual novel is to make the protagonist do what YOU want them to do, yes? Or at the very least, preventing them from doing something ball-explodingly stupid?

There's a similar choice early in Act 1 when you first arrive at the cafeteria, where you can choose to ask about "Shizune's Deafeness" (or something along those lines) but if you choose that option, Hisao refuses to do it, says he doesn't know her well enough. Less of a big deal, since unlike the last choice in Hanko's route, this one doesn't friggin' destroy you.
Kinda like how in Rin's route you can have a total of 6 choices that all basically just say "yeah the art exhibition sounds like a great idea!"? While this is the story if Hisao, it's meant to affect you. The novel actually toys with the medium in a few cases, like with how Shizune's route has only one choice because she is a controlling bitch. In Emi's route, if you make some wrong choices, Misha comes out and helps you back onto the right path, because there Hisao isn't too far gone to listen to advice. In Hanoko's path, he is. And no matter what you as the player would like him to do, it's already too late. That false choice is there to frustrate you, though I suspect the intent is to get you frustrated at Hisao. You are instead getting frustrated at the Visual Novel because you see Hisao as an extension of yourself. Which he isn't. He is only slightly more you than the protagonist of any story told from a first person perspective, and many of those do stupid things as well.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

No see I think you misunderstood spy I definitely am Hisao and I definitely did date a cute legless girl you must have me confused with somebody who isn't and didn't.

/denial
Last edited by SpunkySix on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Hia-sao??
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Comrade wrote:Hia-sao??
Um... I have no idea what you're talking about, you must be going crazy. I typed Hisao perfectly.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Phyro wrote:I felt like a lot of the choices were kind of misleading in one way or another, like the (in)famous "comfort Misha" choice. I was among those that had no idea what that would entail.
This is what happens when you're not paying attention, and just skimming through the text.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Atario wrote:
Phyro wrote:I felt like a lot of the choices were kind of misleading in one way or another, like the (in)famous "comfort Misha" choice. I was among those that had no idea what that would entail.
This is what happens when you're not paying attention, and just skimming through the text.
Yeah this. I don't know how so many people were confused. Even just the line "please Hisao, comfort me, just for tonight" is full of subtext by itself, if you've been reading the conversation up to that point it's hard to see it as anything other than "stick it in."
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

russianspy1234 wrote:
Atario wrote:
Yeah this. I don't know how so many people were confused. Even just the line "please Hisao, comfort me, just for tonight" is full of subtext by itself, if you've been reading the conversation up to that point it's hard to see it as anything other than "stick it in."
What if Misha only wanted Hisao's warm, sticky kindness stuck in her aching heart though?
Potato

Post by Potato »

Phyro wrote:I felt like a lot of the choices were kind of misleading in one way or another, like the (in)famous "comfort Misha" choice.
Nope. That wasn't misleading at all.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:What if Misha only wanted Hisao's warm, sticky kindness stuck in her aching heart though?
So you're saying Russian Style?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote