How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's name?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

someguy1294

Re: How would you feel about being able to change Hisao's na

Post by someguy1294 »

Xaredian wrote: Sounds like Hanako's route. Didn't go to the city with Hanako? Well, you're screwed, even if you listen to Lilly.
YES. I seriously want to punch Hisao in the face at that point.

And at the later point where he refused to leave Hanako's room until she explodes in his face.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

someguy1294 wrote:
Xaredian wrote: Sounds like Hanako's route. Didn't go to the city with Hanako? Well, you're screwed, even if you listen to Lilly.
YES. I seriously want to punch Hisao in the face at that point.

And at the later point where he refused to leave Hanako's room until she explodes in his face.
That sounds kind of hot.

Sorry, I had to...
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

A large number of my old favorite video games let the player change characters' names. It didn't matter whether or not the characters had personalities. This level of player control seemed to be more common in the '80s and early '90s, when story had to be conveyed through dialogue and sprites rather than spectacular cutscenes, and before voiced dialogue was common.

How much customization should the player or reader have? My best answer right now is to shrug and say "I dunno." When reading Sweet Fuse a few months ago, I changed the main character's name to one that I like, and I still admired her attitude and intelligence. But when I was reading Tears 9, 10 before then, it didn't bother me that I couldn't change any names.

By the way, for those who are interested, there's a large database of gamebooks available. In other words, it is certainly not limited to the books marketed under the Choose Your Own Adventure label.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

gekiganwing wrote:A large number of my old favorite video games let the player change characters' names. It didn't matter whether or not the characters had personalities. This level of player control seemed to be more common in the '80s and early '90s, when story had to be conveyed through dialogue and sprites rather than spectacular cutscenes, and before voiced dialogue was common.

How much customization should the player or reader have? My best answer right now is to shrug and say "I dunno." When reading Sweet Fuse a few months ago, I changed the main character's name to one that I like, and I still admired her attitude and intelligence. But when I was reading Tears 9, 10 before then, it didn't bother me that I couldn't change any names.

By the way, for those who are interested, there's a large database of gamebooks available. In other words, it is certainly not limited to the books marketed under the Choose Your Own Adventure label.
Cool, thanks for the link.

And my lordy, Tears 9, 10 man... I'm so tough I only cried for ten minutes straight after that one.
Atario

Post by Atario »

It's not a slipup. The decision whether to go to town with her or "call it a day" is more important than the decision of listening to Lilly or not.

Think about it. Lilly, the one person Hanako has grown at all close to in ten years, is going to the other side of the planet. Hisao, whom she's gotten close to in the past month, is still there… or is he? Does he abandon her right when she needs him the most?
Last edited by Atario on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Atario wrote:It's not a slipup. The decision whether to go to town with her or "call it a day" is more important than the decision of listening to Lilly or not.

Think about it. Lilly, the one person Hanako has grown at all close to in ten years, is going to the other side of the planet. Hisao, whom she's gotten close to in the past month, is still there… or is he? Does he abandon her right when she needs him the most?
I can understand why that might be hard though, because, by the sound of it, she doesn't make it very clear how important it is to her. Which is understandable, but still somewhat confusing.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

SpunkySix wrote:I can understand why that might be hard though, because, by the sound of it, she doesn't make it very clear how important it is to her. Which is understandable, but still somewhat confusing.
Holy triple post Batman!

And I'll have to give that gamebook database a browse sometime, thanks for the link.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

SpecimenSix wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:I can understand why that might be hard though, because, by the sound of it, she doesn't make it very clear how important it is to her. Which is understandable, but still somewhat confusing.
Holy triple post Batman!

And I'll have to give that gamebook database a browse sometime, thanks for the link.
I don't even know how that happened... can I delete two of them?
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

SpunkySix wrote: I don't even know how that happened... can I delete two of them?
Well I could tell you how to...but it's a lot funnier if I don't. :lol:
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Kyler Thatch wrote:It's a good point, but not one that I necessarily agree with.

It's one thing to wrest control from a player in a game where every second is a mini-decision (e.g. cutscenes in an FPS), but in a visual novel, choices have that much more weight to it by virtue of there being precious few of them.

And it doesn't even necessitate a very significant branching of the plot. Even a one-line change ("I know I'm right, and I'm not listening" vs. "you have a point, but..." though not necessarily those exact words) can be enough to make an otherwise cosmetic choice seem meaningful. Otherwise, being presented with a "choice" that does exactly nothing can be needlessly frustrating.

Extra Credits has a couple videos like this one on choice in games that I've borrowed some of my opinions from.
Oh, it's frustrating. Not sure many would argue that. But it's not really a slip-up as such.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
SpecimenSix wrote:
Holy triple post Batman!

I don't even know how that happened... can I delete two of them?
No. You cannot delete them. That X button at the top of all of your posts does nothing. Please ignore the X button. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

You can only delete your messages if they're the last in the thread
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Comrade wrote:You can only delete your messages if they're the last in the thread
Balls. Sorry guys, I have no idea how that was a thing even.
Atario

Post by Atario »

However, you can edit them to look like something more entertaining and/or clever than they originally were…
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

SpunkySix wrote:
Comrade wrote:You can only delete your messages if they're the last in the thread
Balls. Sorry guys, I have no idea how that was a thing even.
Contrary to popular belief this forum isn't Nazi Germany. I doubt you've made that many enemies by posting the same thing a couple times by mistake. :lol: