What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Bad Apple
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Bad Apple » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Potato wrote:In what universe?
The one everyone else resides in, apparently.
Potato wrote:@Apple: How does living in Japan change that it'd cost a lot? That graph doesn't exactly show a big difference. :P And I don't see Rin ever having anything as regular as a 'career'. :lol:
What. Are you incapable of math and commonsense? You seriously think $7,450 per capita compared to $2,740 is not a big difference? Mind you, that's 764,593.5 versus 281,206.2 in yen (present rate).

In canon, Rin's paintings seem to be right in the way to achieving success, mostly thanks to Nomiya and Sae's connections. Like I said (not like you're paying attention) Yamaku is well-funded, and that in itself implies connections. Following on that premise, it is fact that bonafide paintings, modern or otherwise, can go for hundreds of thousands of USD. This would be millions (maybe tens of millions) of yen easily. Seeing your prior ignorance on healthcare costs, however, I don't see this argument drilling through your skull either.

Even without this lucrative source of income, if I recall correctly, Yamaku supports their students. Even so, Rin is disabled in a country with splendid universal healthcare. What I'm trying to say is, there's this little thing called "Welfare"... perhaps you've heard of it.
Potato wrote:But she does fine around crowds there... :?
Yes, colon-question mark indeed. I am also wondering how you know this. Proof?
Potato wrote:Oh, of course. Because, you know, her problem was the crowd. Not the internal burden she had been crumbling under for weeks on end. :lol:

Now, I remember a lack of any problems whatsoever when dealing with crowds that weren't relentlessly interrogating her against her will. I also remember her suffering similar problems when under forceful interrogation by individual people with no crowds around. It's almost as if the presence of a crowd was entirely coincidental and not really relevant to her troubles at all. :P
Again, the burden of proof is on you. Deliver. You point to a scene in the VN where this happens, or you add a caveat that you're making shit up. Which, let's face it, you are.
Potato wrote:It really couldn't though. She has the same problems when dealing with Nomiya and Hisao, and those two are far from a crowd even when together. Plus she's around crowds at other points and has no trouble at all. Ergo, there's nothing to suggest she has any problems with crowds so much as people hounding her about things she'd rather avoid.
Your argument fails. Rin's avoidant behavior towards uncomfortable questions (regardless of who asks) is irrelevant to Rin's clear introverted qualities. Try again. And try not to be willfully ignorant this time. There's no need for baseless speculation. There's canon. There's posts up there. Try reading them. It's a fundamental part of the Internet.

Or not. I'd rather not be silently cooked in the same pot as you. I don't like baked potato stew.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Atario » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 am

Jesus, dude. Hostile much?
I know no such thing. Yamaku, and any other place Rin is likely to agree to live, will most certainly either not have these, or will have them replaced with suitable kinds for very little money and trouble — certainly far less than bionics. I encounter the lever type all day every day and I'm not even in any particular handicapped-specific environment.
This is actually the strongest argument for. Shirts and feminine hygiene.
Eh... Rin is the least feminine of the five girls Hisao can romance. But whatever. I think you know what I meant.
I can't figure out if you're trolling or just an ESL student. "Feminine hygiene" refers to things women use because they have women's parts between their legs. You know, tampons, maxi-pads, all that stuff. Which applies to Rin, regardless of her rankings in the femininity derby.

Anyway, I wasn't being sarcastic, if that's what you're reacting to. Those would be legitimate arguments for her to adopt the high tech arms.
And honestly, she'd probably consider it too much of a hassle to learn to use them in any case. It's more immediately-convenient to have people open doors for her and pester Emi. :lol:
That implies Emi will be Rin's lifelong carer.
I'm not the one who said that, but I will point out that the word "immediately" precludes "lifelong".
And that's ignoring the question of expense.
Expense? She lives in Japan, not America. Besides, Yamaku is well-funded
Unless we have a clear idea of what Japan's national health care (or Yamaku) does and does not pay for or how much of it it pays for, that's speculative too.
You seriously think $7,450 per capita compared to $2,740 is not a big difference?
National per-capita costs have little to do with the specific cost of an advanced, customized, wearable, personal robotics system.
Potato wrote:But she does fine around crowds there... :?
Yes, colon-question mark indeed. I am also wondering how you know this. Proof?
Again, I didn't say that, but just off the top of my head, there's the track-meet scenes.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
wazuzu
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by wazuzu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 am

Munchenhausen wrote:"I can hug you now, Hisao"
...but she was able to foothug him before. Normal people use hands to hug and feet to align their bodies, Rin could use her stumps to align her body and her feet to hug Hisao.
Yes, she can't do it from standing position, but well, wtf, Hisao can hold her in this situation.

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Steinherz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 am

wazuzu wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:"I can hug you now, Hisao"
...but she was able to foothug him before. Normal people use hands to hug and feet to align their bodies, Rin could use her stumps to align her body and her feet to hug Hisao.
Yes, she can't do it from standing position, but well, wtf, Hisao can hold her in this situation.
The sheer amount of spoilered text makes that seem like it could be so dirty :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

User avatar
Munchenhausen
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Munchenhausen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:48 pm

wazuzu wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:"I can hug you now, Hisao"
...but she was able to foothug him before. Normal people use hands to hug and feet to align their bodies, Rin could use her stumps to align her body and her feet to hug Hisao.
Yes, she can't do it from standing position, but well, wtf, Hisao can hold her in this situation.
Suddenly, boner.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Potato » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Bad Apple wrote:[words words words no boobs]
Wow, okay. You enjoy yammering on, linking to things that make you feel smart, and generally being a hostile twat. I'll just go on over here talking to the adults.

@Steinherz: Foothugs are the dirtiest thing known to Baby Jesus. Fun fact. :lol: Though this does raise the question of why Hisao never gets a hug from her...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Potato wrote:
Bad Apple wrote:[words words words no boobs]
Wow, okay. You enjoy yammering on, linking to things that make you feel smart, and generally being a hostile twat. I'll just go on over here talking to the adults.

@Steinherz: Foothugs are the dirtiest thing known to Baby Jesus. Fun fact. :lol: Though this does raise the question of why Hisao never gets a hug from her...
Can I ask an honest question here that I feel is related enough to foot hugging and the general "not having arms" thing to warrant a slightly odd tangent? Well... I'm going to. Is there ever any foot related H content in Rin's route? If there isn't, then I'm surprised they never even tried that. Seems like the equivalent of hand fun tiem for them.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
Bad Apple wrote:[words words words no boobs]
Wow, okay. You enjoy yammering on, linking to things that make you feel smart, and generally being a hostile twat. I'll just go on over here talking to the adults.

@Steinherz: Foothugs are the dirtiest thing known to Baby Jesus. Fun fact. :lol: Though this does raise the question of why Hisao never gets a hug from her...
Can I ask an honest question here that I feel is related enough to foot hugging and the general "not having arms" thing to warrant a slightly odd tangent? Well... I'm going to. Is there ever any foot related H content in Rin's route? If there isn't, then I'm surprised they never even tried that. Seems like the equivalent of hand fun tiem for them.
I don't think there is actually, despite I was expecting there to be the entire time. I'd have thought it'd be one of the more obvious avenues to go down... which is maybe why it didn't happen? I dunno :P
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Potato » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 pm

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
Bad Apple wrote:[words words words no boobs]
Wow, okay. You enjoy yammering on, linking to things that make you feel smart, and generally being a hostile twat. I'll just go on over here talking to the adults.

@Steinherz: Foothugs are the dirtiest thing known to Baby Jesus. Fun fact. :lol: Though this does raise the question of why Hisao never gets a hug from her...
Can I ask an honest question here that I feel is related enough to foot hugging and the general "not having arms" thing to warrant a slightly odd tangent? Well... I'm going to. Is there ever any foot related H content in Rin's route? If there isn't, then I'm surprised they never even tried that. Seems like the equivalent of hand fun time for them.
There is not. Rin does ask "Do you want me to do it with my foot or my mouth?" once, which EVERYONE expected to lead into a scene, but she's just asking about drawing Hisao's portrait. :lol: In general, they avoided any h-type cliches like that. But that's what delicious fanart is for anyway. :mrgreen:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
Sea
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Sea » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Steinherz wrote:
wazuzu wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:"I can hug you now, Hisao"
...but she was able to foothug him before. Normal people use hands to hug and feet to align their bodies, Rin could use her stumps to align her body and her feet to hug Hisao.
Yes, she can't do it from standing position, but well, wtf, Hisao can hold her in this situation.
The sheer amount of spoilered text makes that seem like it could be so dirty :lol:
Indeed, I kinda want a sound bit of that with bleeps and see who reacts.
Potato wrote:
Bad Apple wrote:[words words words no boobs]
Wow, okay. You enjoy yammering on, linking to things that make you feel smart, and generally being a hostile twat. I'll just go on over here talking to the adults.
Hey now spud, it's not his fault, he's just a bad apple :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . . . Yeah, Ill just go hang myself now
Come join the Yamaku Book Club! Where stuff happens and we discuss cripple porn
I come from the outside, do you know it?

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 pm

GAH. Okay, that was totally my bad, but I clicked that link in the library... luckily, nobody was around. Dodged a bullet there...

Thanks for the answers, anyhow. I guess it makes sense that they avoided that, I just got the sense that it might happen.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
ababol
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: London

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by ababol » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:20 pm

This is something I gave much thought to, because no matter how many times the game stressed that point, I couldn't help to think "But... there are things you only can do with arms! What about opening doors (as somebody pointed before)? What if you have an itch, how do you scratch, I don't know, your butt? What about hygiene? ?I've always wondered how Rin took her showers. What about dressing? Are you going to need a valet your whole life?"

My opinion on this is that she would probably be uninterested on them, since her views about her ailment are pretty well known. She doesn't see anything wrong with lacking arms, so she'd probably just shrug the idea. Maybe, if pushed (we've seen that under the proper circumstances she can be influenced), perhaps she'd give them a try. I think she'd still use her feet and mouth mostly, due to a lifetime's habit, but probably she'd be grateful for all that things she'd be able to do finally on her own (like getting dressed). Of course, she wouldn't vocalize that gratitude, or would do so in a way that nobody understands. But it'd be there.

In short, how would Rin be with prosthetic arms? Probably still awesome.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by SpunkySix » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 pm

ababol wrote:In short, how would Rin be with prosthetic arms? Probably still awesome.
It would be really hard to make Rin not awesome.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Potato » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:54 pm

ababol wrote:This is something I gave much thought to, because no matter how many times the game stressed that point, I couldn't help to think "But... there are things you only can do with arms! What about opening doors (as somebody pointed before)? What if you have an itch, how do you scratch, I don't know, your butt? What about hygiene? ?I've always wondered how Rin took her showers. What about dressing? Are you going to need a valet your whole life?"
All of those except dressing can be done without arms. :P And dressing too, depending on what she decided to wear.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
someguy1294
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by someguy1294 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Sea wrote:I don't think she'd want to use them to be honest. I can see her asking why she would want them, as she exists just fine how she is. Not only that, but her entire life has been spent trying to express to people who she is and has failed except for art, and hers is unique in that she doesn't need arms to do it.
Maybe someone else with her condition may jump at the chance, but not Rin. You see this as a solution to her problem, but her lack of arms is not it.
I think nailed Rin's character pretty well right here. If I recall, I think Hisao once asked her if she wished she wasn't disabled, and she said something along these lines.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.

Post Reply