What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Re: What if Rin had prosthetic arms?

Post by Munchenhausen »

KeiichiO wrote:
emmjay wrote:Keep in mind something Hisao thinks in Act 1. "She gives off the impression of being entirely unaware that she's missing any limbs at all."
Indeed. I doubt she'd even want to use them if she had been given prosthetic arms.
This i can imagine. The prosthetics would probably just dangle by her sides if she got them. She never needed arms before, so why would she start now?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Potato

Post by Potato »

I imagine she'd knock quite a lot of stuff over trying to use them. She's never especially aware of her surroundings already so add some new limbs into the mix...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:[...] However, if you feel like it read up Molyneux's Problem, which concerns the idea that somebody who can determine objects by feeling them may not necessarily be able to determine them by seeing them.
My thanks.

OT:
Honestly, the question here isn't "would she?" but "could she?"

As Rin hasn't ever had fully-functioning arms in her life, that means her brain lacks the neural connections for the refined motor skills that allow you to use your fingers to dexterously do what has allowed humanity to be an excellent toolmaker, as well as to manipulate objects, play games and type up speculation on forums about transhumanist enhancements to characters from silly dating sims.

It's possible that, once you attach the nerves to the arms, the brain wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with them. Bending the elbow would be a new experience, let alone the 25 or so unique motions the human hand is capable of.

But let's suppose medicine has advanced to that point and that Rin can have fully operational Deus Ex-style prosthetics (or not, just basic gripping and movement is fine too. Like, judging from the replies so far, you would be surprised at how many amputeees just want something handy to hold stuff with.)

I think it's almost impossible to determine how Rin would feel about this one. (Or most other things, for that matter.) Hisao's impressions are irrelevant, mind, as he is a subjective as well as an often unreliable POV. He has been wrong, a lot. Furthermore, the assumption that Rin would be forced to use her arms to paint, as has been implicit, are similarly fallacious.**

I think the mark has been missed here. By a mile. Or perhaps there hasn't been a detailed enough approach to this question. So let's break it down.

What are the arms for? Are they to replace her feet? Or are they there to enhance her ability to do everyday things?

I submit that the former is patently ridiculous, so I will go with the latter.

The arms aren't there to replace her feet—they're there to more easily do what her feet cannot. According to Act 1, Rin can't even open doors, remember? (I think she could use her stumps to open certain doors, but if she has to turn a doorknob, well, let's just say using your face to open doors isn't the most dignified or hygienic thing to do.)

Rin would undoubtedly still use her feet for painting and eating, but I think the idea of being finally able to open doors and take care of yourself in ways a carer had to before (like Emi dressing her up or, you know... in the bathroom ♫) might be too good to pass up, considering Rin is a clear introvert and all.

Now, adapting to new limbs when you've never had them before would be a challenge, and it would take years to fully master them. Would she be clumsy until then? Yes, so? As opposed to, what, "normal" klutzes with real arms?

In conclusion: As Rin doesn't seem to care what others think of her, the idea of prosthetics wouldn't be to appear normal (or replace her feet, that's absurd), it would be for their utilitarian purposes. Prosthetics would be a good utility no matter how you look at it. The only reason I imagine Rin (or most for that matter) refusing such life enhancement is being morally opposed to the idea of "becoming machines." Or...

**Although, if she were being forced into this by a Nomiya-type scumbag, to appear "normal"? That's where the line would be drawn. I would agree that it would be wrong, augmenting your body should ultimately be your decision. Although such a scenario would undoubtedly be a strawman of transhumanism, which is not atypical within contemporary fiction's heavy Romanticist bent, imho. But I digress.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Atario

Post by Atario »

Bad Apple wrote:The arms aren't there to replace her feet—they're there to more easily do what her feet cannot. According to Act 1, Rin can't even open doors, remember?
She can, she just might have trouble. Hell, I sometimes open doors with just a knee and foot. This kind.
like Emi dressing her up or, you know... in the bathroom ♫
This is actually the strongest argument for. Shirts and feminine hygiene.
Rin is a clear introvert and all.
I don't think this is true. She ends up alone a lot, but I don't think it's because being around people drains her.
The only reason I imagine Rin (or most for that matter) refusing such life enhancement is
To me, the most likely reason would be the general hassle of it. Having to get fitted, to learn to use it, to take it of and put it on, and so forth. And that's ignoring the question of expense.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Atario wrote:
Bad Apple wrote:The arms aren't there to replace her feet—they're there to more easily do what her feet cannot. According to Act 1, Rin can't even open doors, remember?
She can, she just might have trouble. Hell, I sometimes open doors with just a knee and foot. This kind.
I open standard spherical nobs with my feet.

Living the dream.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Bad Apple wrote:Rin is a clear introvert and all.
...Since when?

And honestly, she'd probably consider it too much of a hassle to learn to use them in any case. It's more immediately-convenient to have people open doors for her and pester Emi. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:
Bad Apple wrote:Rin is a clear introvert and all.
...Since when?
Well, she kinda doesn't do well in crowds...

I'd say she's just not a people person.
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

Atario wrote: This kind.
You know I was talking about this kind.
This is actually the strongest argument for. Shirts and feminine hygiene.
Eh... Rin is the least feminine of the five girls Hisao can romance. But whatever. I think you know what I meant.
I don't think this is true. She ends up alone a lot, but I don't think it's because being around people drains her.
Potato wrote:
...Since when?
You may want to reconsider what introversion fully entails. I admit Rin may be closer to ambiversion (a vague area in itself) than introversion, but the rest reads like a checklist.
And honestly, she'd probably consider it too much of a hassle to learn to use them in any case. It's more immediately-convenient to have people open doors for her and pester Emi. :lol:
That implies Emi will be Rin's lifelong carer. I don't know how Emi would feel about that, but it's not as easy as you make it sound to dedicate your life to take care of another person, in this case a disabled one. It's a possibility, but I honestly don't think their future careers would lend well towards that. Realistically, they wouldn't always be able to be together. A professional caregiver would be more consistent. How would Rin feel about a caregiver? Not sure. What I do know is that having working prosthetics would take care of the few things she can't do with her feet and she wouldn't need a caregiver as much. (Maybe she might need one due to her probable mental disorder, but that's another argument entirely.)
And that's ignoring the question of expense.
Expense? She lives in Japan, not America. Besides, Yamaku is well-funded and (everything past this point is hypothetical) if Rin makes it big as an artist, she could easily become one of Yamaku's symbols in popular consciousness. Like... Jared and Subway. I was always terrible with analogies
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Potato

Post by Potato »

KeiichiO wrote:Well, she kinda doesn't do well in crowds...
In what universe?

@Apple: How does living in Japan change that it'd cost a lot? That graph doesn't exactly show a big difference. :P And I don't see Rin ever having anything as regular as a 'career'. :lol:
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:
In what universe?

@Apple: How does living in Japan change that it'd cost a lot? That graph doesn't exactly show a big difference. :P And I don't see Rin ever having anything as regular as a 'career'. :lol:
In the universe that is home of the school for disabled children known as, 'Yamaku'.
Potato

Post by Potato »

KeiichiO wrote:
Potato wrote:
In what universe?

In the universe that is home of the school for disabled children known as, 'Yamaku'.
But she does fine around crowds there... :?
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:In the universe that is home of the school for disabled children known as, 'Yamaku'.
I remember a mini mental breaking ensuing due to a barrage of people asking her questions about her art. I'd say that that proves she doesn't do well in crowds.
Potato

Post by Potato »

KeiichiO wrote:
Potato wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:In the universe that is home of the school for disabled children known as, 'Yamaku'.
I remember a mini mental breaking ensuing due to a barrage of people asking her questions about her art. I'd say that that proves she doesn't do well in crowds.
Oh, of course. Because, you know, her problem was the crowd. Not the internal burden she had been crumbling under for weeks on end. :lol:

Now, I remember a lack of any problems whatsoever when dealing with crowds that weren't relentlessly interrogating her against her will. I also remember her suffering similar problems when under forceful interrogation by individual people with no crowds around. It's almost as if the presence of a crowd was entirely coincidental and not really relevant to her troubles at all. :P
Last edited by Potato on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:Oh, of course. Because, you know, her problem was the crowd. Not the internal burden she had been crumbling under for weeks on end. :roll:

I remember a lack of any problems whatsoever when dealing with crowds that weren't relentlessly interrogating her against her will. But yeah, totally a crowd issue. :P
It could be both, y'know. You don't have to be a sarcastic asshole about it.
Potato

Post by Potato »

KeiichiO wrote:
Potato wrote:Oh, of course. Because, you know, her problem was the crowd. Not the internal burden she had been crumbling under for weeks on end. :roll:

I remember a lack of any problems whatsoever when dealing with crowds that weren't relentlessly interrogating her against her will. But yeah, totally a crowd issue. :P
It could be both, y'know. You don't have to be a sarcastic asshole about it.
It really couldn't though. She has the same problems when dealing with Nomiya and Hisao, and those two are far from a crowd even when together. Plus she's around crowds at other points and has no trouble at all. Ergo, there's nothing to suggest she has any problems with crowds so much as people hounding her about things she'd rather avoid. Now Hanako, she shies away toward Lilly to cling for dear life if even a few strangers pass by. :lol: She would have crowd issues.

And if you don't like sarcasm, you shouldn't be online. Or, you know, say so without being a blatant hypocrite about it because insulting people is an asshole way to ask them to change their tone. (I'm a kettle! I am also black, Mr. Pot. :mrgreen:)