KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them'?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them'?

I'm a male. I know a (few) female that cried like we did and have the same reaction like we have.
11
23%
I'm a male. I don't know about it but I think they will cry or have the same reaction like we have.
30
64%
I'm a male. I don't know about it but I think they will not cry nor have the same reaction like we have.
4
9%
I'm a male. I don't give a shit about it and I don't give a shit about females (a.k.a The Kenji Way).
0
No votes
I'm a female. I cried while playing this game and certainly it affects me.
2
4%
I'm a female. I didn't cry while playing this game but it still affects me.
0
No votes
I'm a female. I didn't cry while playing this game and it didn't leave me anything emotional.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
TheVUP
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: SEA (South East Asia)

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by TheVUP » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 pm

I thought this thread is pretty much dead.
Labargoth wrote:Where's the "I'm a male. I know a female that didn't cry while playing this game and didn't leave her anything emotional." option?
Sad, but true. My gf didn't like this game very much and quit shortly after she finished act 1.
And yeah, I thought I already give enough options for the poll.

Thanks, Labargoth and cantataria.
Potato wrote:Reminder that Atari nearly destroyed the games industry and you should feel bad.
The keyword here is "nearly". I think EA destroys more than Atari did.
Til I finally died, which started the whole world living

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by metalangel » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Atari? In North America, and on game consoles, maybe. You'll be saying the failure of the Edsel killed the car industry next.

My gf at the time listened to my descriptions of what was happening in KS but had no interest in actually trying it herself. She'd stay up all night playing Viva Pinata, if that's of any significance.

User avatar
Lianam
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by Lianam » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:02 pm

TheVUP wrote:
Potato wrote:Reminder that Atari nearly destroyed the games industry and you should feel bad.
The keyword here is "nearly". I think EA destroys more than Atari did.
Only the console industry. The Glorious PC Gamer Master Race was pretty much untouched.
Ce ne sont pas une signature.

User avatar
Yuyukoyay
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by Yuyukoyay » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:34 pm

I think any sex can read this and get the same experience. Even if a girl would read the story from a man's perspective, they go into enough depth into the girl's point of view to relate to any of the girls. A guy can relate to Hiseo or any of even the other girls since the girls represent personality differences in the extremes.

Girls really aren't much different than Men in the end. Men just hide behind a "Manly" persona because that is generally a passed down attitude from fathers. Everyone is different and can't really be classified into a group, unless they share ridiculous beliefs like they really are a feminist.

I also never really cried for any of the stories, but that is probably because I have experienced far worse than anyone in this game has.

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by Atario » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:05 am

Yuyukoyay wrote:I also never really cried for any of the stories, but that is probably because I have experienced far worse than anyone in this game has.
Ok, I'll bite. Story?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

CaveRave
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by CaveRave » Sat May 24, 2014 10:58 pm

TheVUP wrote:First off, I'm not sexist
Yes you are, if you think that both won't get an equal reaction to the story. The only aspect that might matter is simply how the protagonist or the first person perspective giving guys a stronger emotional attachment.

That said, regardless of the gender of the protagonist, the story affects people differently, not sex. Wasn't that the whole message of Katawa Shoujo either ways? That people aren't to be defined by how they appear on the surface?

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by SpunkySix » Sun May 25, 2014 1:11 am

CaveRave wrote:
TheVUP wrote:First off, I'm not sexist
Yes you are, if you think that both won't get an equal reaction to the story.
I don't see that as sexist at all. It's much harder for me to get into VNs, especially romantic ones, if the protagonist is female. Not because being a girl is a bad thing, but because it breaks immersion. I'm not female and I don't see things from a female's perspective. I'm not into guys. I wouldn't find the male version of Emi cute. I wouldn't get the butterflies watching some chick get with Male Emi. It just wouldn't be the same. In the same way, I could see SOME, not ALL women being turned off or taken out of their state of immersion by playing as a male and trying to date a girl, fictional or not. That isn't sexist. It doesn't imply anything negative about either sex. It just is, and it works both ways.

It's like, and this might sound bad so I apologize ahead of time, with ethnic issues. I'm not really attracted to African women, to be completely honest. They can be just as kind and beautiful and smart and strong and everything else as any other woman, and they just won't do it for me much. I'd have a harder time being immersed in a game where the female options were all African women, because I most likely wouldn't be attracted to them in real life as much. That's not racist, it just... is. And it wouldn't apply to everybody, but it would apply to some.

Now of course if somebody said that somebody else couldn't possibly get the same reaction, then that is wrong. Unless I'm mistaken though, I don't think that's what was said. And you're right, the story primarily affects people differently based on who they are. Sex IS part of that though. It's not everything, but it is some part of every person.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

CaveRave
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by CaveRave » Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am

Ah, I apologise for my accusations earlier. I understand the angle you're approaching the story from. However, I still believe that Katawa Shoujo isn't about 'you chasing after a girl' but rather Hiaso's love with the characters. As such, despite being a first person story, it will still relate to both genders. The story doesn't focus (as much) on sexual appeal (which is straight sexuality) to the point that the other gender would be turned off by it.

Also, I can imagine dating a male Emi as a female Hiaso to be romantic as well simply by the thought the girl has over the boy.

Anyways, my point is, the story doesn't lose its appeal as it's about Hiaso and the girls, rather than 'you' and the girls. Sexual preferences might not be as much of a factor, because you're not dating them, Hiaso is. That said, it's a bit weird to see you bring up the example of race when, at the shallow surface, Katawa Shoujo is about doing anal with someone who has no legs.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by SpunkySix » Tue May 27, 2014 12:07 pm

CaveRave wrote:Ah, I apologise for my accusations earlier. I understand the angle you're approaching the story from. However, I still believe that Katawa Shoujo isn't about 'you chasing after a girl' but rather Hiaso's love with the characters. As such, despite being a first person story, it will still relate to both genders. The story doesn't focus (as much) on sexual appeal (which is straight sexuality) to the point that the other gender would be turned off by it.

Also, I can imagine dating a male Emi as a female Hiaso to be romantic as well simply by the thought the girl has over the boy.

Anyways, my point is, the story doesn't lose its appeal as it's about Hiaso and the girls, rather than 'you' and the girls. Sexual preferences might not be as much of a factor, because you're not dating them, Hiaso is. That said, it's a bit weird to see you bring up the example of race when, at the shallow surface, Katawa Shoujo is about doing anal with someone who has no legs.
I get that too, there is definitely a universal appeal. A little unclear on the bolded part though...
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

Post Reply