KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them'?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

I'm a male. I know a (few) female that cried like we did and have the same reaction like we have.
23%
I'm a male. I don't know about it but I think they will cry or have the same reaction like we have.
64%
I'm a male. I don't know about it but I think they will not cry nor have the same reaction like we have.
9%
I'm a male. I don't give a shit about it and I don't give a shit about females (a.k.a The Kenji Way).
No votes
I'm a female. I cried while playing this game and certainly it affects me.
4%
I'm a female. I didn't cry while playing this game but it still affects me.
No votes
I'm a female. I didn't cry while playing this game and it didn't leave me anything emotional.
No votes

Total votes: 47

TheVUP

Post by TheVUP »

First off, I'm not sexist if that means treating women as a sexual objects.
In short, I want to say than men and women are different but the same human being created by god (or whatever equivalent you believe in). I'm not used to this kind of thing.
So let me rather remind you an old proverb that says "internet users are presumed male until proven otherwise".

Now to the topic.

We know that KS affects 'us' (man or teenage-boy alike) much, but do you think it affects 'them' (woman or teenage-girl alike)?
If you have a girlfriend or girl friend (did I word it right?), do you ever ask them to play and how is their reaction? Were they crying too?
I'm quite sure this has been asked somewhere else, but this is specifics to female demographics.
At least, how do you think, will they shed their tears like we did? Will it affect them as much as like it affect us?

If you are a woman or girl, then please tell us (or just me) your feeling/opinion about this great VN that made many man shed their manly-tears.

Thank you for your participation.
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. And I'm really, really sorry if there is any offensive or inappropriate words.
Til I finally died, which started the whole world living
dewelar

Re: KS affects 'us' much. But, do you think it affects 'them

Post by dewelar »

I can vouch for the fact that the female friend to whom I read KS cried several times during the reading. I think the only route that didn't bring tears to her eyes at least once was Shizune's.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Potato

Post by Potato »

It is ridiculous to think it wouldn't. There is zero difference between 'us' and 'them' that would significantly change their reactions. A good story is a good story, and a good story will affect people.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Potato wrote:It is ridiculous to think it wouldn't. There is zero difference between 'us' and 'them' that would significantly change their reactions. A good story is a good story, and a good story will affect people.
Doesn't oestrogen generally make your more emotional than testosterone, though?

Also periods.
My sister was on the rag and she cried at Finding Nemo when it was playing on TV. She had seen it before, but she cried anyway.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

oh. bummer. I thought this was going to be a topic about giant ants. :cry:
Not Dead Yet
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Oddball wrote:oh. bummer. I thought this was going to be a topic about giant ants. :cry:
I would have preferred Van Morrison.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Oh this is off to a great start.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

It may be just me, but using 'us' and 'them' to refer to men and woman is a little Kenji-esque.
Atario

Post by Atario »

This is going to be a fairly self-selection-biased poll — people who weren't affected will obviously tend not see this in the first place. But whatever, I'm always up for a discussion!
Potato wrote:It is ridiculous to think it wouldn't. There is zero difference between 'us' and 'them' that would significantly change their reactions. A good story is a good story, and a good story will affect people.
I could see an argument that because the story is told from the male's point of view, it would be more difficult for a female reader to get into the "this is me and it's happening to me" mentality.

Having said that, I've conversed with plenty of girls who consider one of the heroines her "waifu", who think about how she'd treat said heroine vs. the way Hisao did, etc — all the same stuff we do. So, my own wild-ass guess is girls like it at a similar rate.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Atario wrote:I could see an argument that because the story is told from the male's point of view, it would be more difficult for a female reader to get into the "this is me and it's happening to me" mentality.
I remember I asked to see if a female VN player would try Katawa Shoujo and she told me she much preferred to play VNs that were told from a girl's PoV.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
TheVUP

Post by TheVUP »

Oddball wrote:oh. bummer. I thought this was going to be a topic about giant ants. :cry:
Sorry to let you down.
Atario wrote:This is going to be a fairly self-selection-biased poll — people who weren't affected will obviously tend not see this in the first place. But whatever, I'm always up for a discussion!
Thank you very much.
Atario wrote:I could see an argument that because the story is told from the male's point of view, it would be more difficult for a female reader to get into the "this is me and it's happening to me" mentality.
That is what I'm trying to say in this thread. I guess I didn't word it right.
Thanks Atario.
Munchenhausen wrote:Doesn't oestrogen generally make your more emotional than testosterone, though?

Also periods.
My sister was on the rag and she cried at Finding Nemo when it was playing on TV. She had seen it before, but she cried anyway.
Not necessarily.
A simple example: female (teenage girls I mean) seems to really love The Twilight Saga. Do you love it too?

The idea behind this thread I made is: we (male and female) have a different way of thinking.
Not necessarily, again.
I don't know about you, but do you think Lords of the Rings, The Elder Scrolls, One Piece or ANY other stories/franchises that many people think they're good, you think they are good too? In other words, do you like them ALL? Of course no, right? You may like one but not the other.
Liminaut wrote:It may be just me, but using 'us' and 'them' to refer to men and woman is a little Kenji-esque.
I said that because of said proverb. As far as I can remember, I didn't make that proverb.
And I said that not to discriminate them.

Special thanks goes to....
TheHivemind wrote:Oh this is off to a great start.
the mods! I managed to get a mod come over here. =D
Potato

Post by Potato »

TheVUP wrote:I don't know about you, but do you think Lords of the Rings, The Elder Scrolls, One Piece or ANY other stories/franchises that many people think they're good, you think they are good too? In other words, do you like them ALL? Of course no, right? You may like one but not the other.
That would be a question of individual taste while the topic is a question of arbitrary gender-wide generalization, so I'm not sure I get your point. The topic asks 'Do you think KS affects them [females]"...I'm saying the very question is ridiculous, or at least poorly worded. Of course it affects them. There is literally nothing that would prevent it from doing so. Even a shrug or critical reaction is technically an effect.

As for whether they'll be as invested in it...That all depends on circumstance, not gender. KS doesn't affect males, it affects damaged and/or empathetic people. Hence why the HBHC thread is so big. :lol: It could be argued that some would fail to become immersed due to Hisao being a guy, but then those same people must have a hell of a time enjoying some hundreds of thousands of other entertainment products with male protagonists. I honestly doubt there are all too many who would get hung up on that and if there are, they're a lot of unimaginative butts they could always flip the script and take in the story as if they were the female involved. It's the same story, more or less.

Now if the question is about whether individual females would be so affected as some of the male players... "Eh, maybe." XD

Also, One Piece is weird. Bad weird.
Last edited by Potato on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

TheVUP wrote:Not necessarily.
A simple example: female (teenage girls I mean) seems to really love The Twilight Saga. Do you love it too?

The idea behind this thread I made is: we (male and female) have a different way of thinking.
Oooohhhhhhhhhhhh~ I get ya :P
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
TheVUP

Post by TheVUP »

Potato wrote:That would be a question of individual taste while the topic is a question of arbitrary gender-wide generalization, so I'm not sure I get your point. The topic asks 'Do you think KS affects them [females]"...I'm saying the very question is ridiculous, or at least poorly worded. Of course it affects them. There is literally nothing that would prevent it from doing so. Even a shrug or critical reaction is technically an effect.

Now if the question is about whether individual females would be so affected as some of the male players... "Eh, maybe." XD
I thought that I wrote it clearly.
TheVUP wrote:Will it affect them as much as like it affect us?
Potato wrote:KS doesn't affect males, it affects damaged and/or empathetic people. Hence why the HBHC thread is so big. :lol:
However I agree with this.
I once found someone who said that KS didn't leave anything for him.
Potato wrote:Also, One Piece is weird. Bad weird.
It's just an example. But still many people loves it.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Believe it or not, women think almost exactly like men. Some might not be interested in a love story from a guys pov. But just as many are just going to enjoy a good romantic tale.

It helps a lot that KS isn't overly sexist like so many VN's and dating sims, and is about more than just "getting laid".
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.