Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Emi bad ending
17
16%
Hanako bad ending
11
11%
Lilly bad ending
4
4%
Rin 1st bad ending (Fight End)
7
7%
Rin 2nd bad ending (Rain End)
26
25%
Shizune bad ending
17
16%
Kenji
18
17%
Other
4
4%
 
Total votes: 104

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by SpunkySix » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:14 am

Guest Poster wrote:Why do you need to be super secure in your straightness in order to troll your protegee's new friend who seems prone to taking your baiting attempts hook, line and sinker?
Just because he makes so many faux gay jokes. Straight people who are insecure tend to not do that because they aren't confident enough in their own sexuality to even joke about it.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Potato » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:47 am

SpunkySix wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Why do you need to be super secure in your straightness in order to troll your protegee's new friend who seems prone to taking your baiting attempts hook, line and sinker?
Just because he makes so many faux gay jokes. Straight people who are insecure tend to not do that because they aren't confident enough in their own sexuality to even joke about it.
Where are your statistics?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Guest Poster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 am

You don't need to be super confident in your own sexuality to make gay jokes towards an easy target. All you need to be is moderately confident and not too icky about homosexuality in general.

I didn't see Nurse's jokes as a sign of either out-of-the-ordinary confidence or homosexuality. He was just having a bit of fun with Hisao.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by bhtooefr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 am

Besides, there's an implication that he's dating (or maybe just having casual sex with) Meiko.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 am

Atario wrote:
monkeywitha6pack wrote:I don't know where people get the suicide thing from
I've never been sure of this either. Is it just Sae's husband, and people assume that's supposed to be a foregone parallel with Rin?
I don't see what else it could be, but if every brilliant artist were eventually headed towards suicide worldwide suicide rates would skyrocket. If that is a "heavy implication" for some...

And I can attest to straight males being very much able to making gay jokes like that.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by SpunkySix » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 am

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Why do you need to be super secure in your straightness in order to troll your protegee's new friend who seems prone to taking your baiting attempts hook, line and sinker?
Just because he makes so many faux gay jokes. Straight people who are insecure tend to not do that because they aren't confident enough in their own sexuality to even joke about it.
Where are your statistics?
Do I need them to see a general trend?

And yeah, maybe the word super was too much. My general point is still in play, though.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Steinherz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:15 am

someguy1294 wrote:He jokes about seducing Hisao. Repeatedly. That... that is not something that heterosexual males do.

They might as well have dressed him in a pink sweater with khaki shorts and had him voiced by Richard Simmons.

All he's really missing is a 'Turn your head and cough' joke.
You obviously didn't/don't have many male friends in High School.
If a guy can't act gay to troll his friends, there's an issue.

Also:
Guest Poster wrote:Why do you need to be super secure in your straightness in order to troll your protegee's new friend who seems prone to taking your baiting attempts hook, line and sinker?
That is literally all Nurse is doing.
He's fucking with Hisao, who keeps taking the bait.
Image
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Loonie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:07 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Atario wrote:
monkeywitha6pack wrote:I don't know where people get the suicide thing from
I've never been sure of this either. Is it just Sae's husband, and people assume that's supposed to be a foregone parallel with Rin?
I don't see what else it could be, but if every brilliant artist were eventually headed towards suicide worldwide suicide rates would skyrocket. If that is a "heavy implication" for some...
I'm sure a lot of people are taking it that way and voting it such purely based on that parallel. Of course real life doesn't work like that. Most artists in the throes of despair or 'underwater', as the path puts it, don't have the courage to off themselves like that decisively and after all - why would an artist just do it quick when they can get shitfaced drunk/high instead, wreck relationships, ruin their own lives some more and use that as a BS excuse that they're doing it 'for the art''? People still seem to think (excluding the fact that a great deal of technical skill is required to begin with, regardless of the artist's fuel/emotions) the only way for an artist to come up with 'brilliant' art is through suffering. And while it certainly is a way...there's a lot healthier ways that are just never really emphasized enough I think.

No...the reason why I, at least, voted it as such is not just because of Rin...it's also Hisao, after everything he's gone through in that path, going right back to cynicsville and utterly failing to get across to Rin and to himself the thing that is said in the good ending. That you don't have to feel alone, even if no one in the world will ever truly understand you. And it's not 'using other people' either - it's just living life with someone else rather than alone.

Though based on the initial loaded definitions, sure...Kenji's end is the worst really - after all, it is death we're talking about there and there is no fate worse than death by that definition alone. Regardless of how wonderfully ridiculous it is portrayed and of the fact that this is still fiction we're talking about as opposed to real life.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2541
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Silentcook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Potato wrote:I dunno what qualifies as "loads" to you but I've never known anyone who cut off all contact with people to work themselves to sleep deprivation and the beginnings of starvation sealed up in a tiny room.
Sounds like the December prior to releasing KS to me. :(
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Image

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Atario » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Loonie wrote:Hisao, after everything he's gone through in that path, going right back to cynicsville and utterly failing to get across to Rin and to himself the thing that is said in the good ending. That you don't have to feel alone, even if no one in the world will ever truly understand you. And it's not 'using other people' either - it's just living life with someone else rather than alone.
Gotta agree here. Hisao really said the worst possible things in that conversation. No one can ever truly understand or empathize with anyone else? We're all alone in the universe and just use one another to feel better about that? Fuck, man, I feel like going to get a drink with Kenji and throwing myself off the roof after that.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Potato » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Silentcook wrote:
Potato wrote:I dunno what qualifies as "loads" to you but I've never known anyone who cut off all contact with people to work themselves to sleep deprivation and the beginnings of starvation sealed up in a tiny room.
Sounds like the December prior to releasing KS to me. :(
Aw man, I made Cook sad...Worst ending, right here. :cry:



Anyway, worst ending kinda depends on perspective...Kenji's is the worst for Hisao, but I doubt any player would deem it as such.

For Hanako, worst ending is neutral. For (Rin, Lilly, Shizune, Emi), worst ending is bad.

For the players, worst ending is obviously Shizune's good ending because you don't get to plow Misha.

@Mirage: Nobody said anything about every artist. But when a character unnecessarily goes into this drawn-out tale of this guy who just happens to be a perfect mirror (albeit without Rin's personal issues, which only makes Rin's situation even worse than his) of a character currently in crisis...Yeah, that's basically everything short of placing the two characters onscreen and drawing a line between them. Fan canon can be argued until time halts but the implication is undeniably present. :lol: At worst, at least one of Rin's endings is suggested will lead to self-termination. At best, it's all a very pointless parallel written in for no apparent reason.

@Atario: Hisao's depressive rambling is true if one takes understanding to be an 'all or nothing' deal. The subjective nature of human experience prevents a total understanding of anyone save yourself in that case, and even partial understanding will often be imperfect at best. Fortunately few people, if anybody, really sees things that way.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
someguy1294
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by someguy1294 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 am

[quote="Potato"]
Anyway, worst ending kinda depends on perspective...Kenji's is the worst for Hisao, but I doubt any player would deem it as such.

For Hanako, worst ending is neutral. For (Rin, Lilly, Shizune, Emi), worst ending is bad.

For the players, worst ending is obviously Shizune's good ending because you don't get to plow Misha.

I'm fully aware that screwing Misha leads to Shizune's bad end, and I'm gonna do it anyways, once I play through her route.

Also, I absolutely deem Kenji's ending the worst, by far. Break-ups are bad, but this is friggin' High School, and life moves on. Unless, of course you fall of a roof and fucking die. In every bad ending except Kenji's, all the characters have the potential to heal, grow up and move one later on in life, no matter how dismal the ending feels to the player. THAT is why Kenji's route is the worst. Hisao had his whole life ahead of him. All that potential, down the crapper because he got depressed over not getting a girl and got drunk. Utterly dismal.

I do like your point that perspective affects which ending is worst. Rin's good ending, for example, is the worst ending for Nomiya. Not that anyone actually gives a shit about that fat bastard.

When you say Rin's worst ending, are you referring to the Fight or the Rain?
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Potato » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:27 am

someguy1294 wrote:When you say Rin's worst ending, are you referring to the Fight or the Rain?
Fight. Also, Kenji's end is worst for Mutou. Who knows when another student who cares about science will come along...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
someguy1294
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by someguy1294 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:41 am

Potato wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:When you say Rin's worst ending, are you referring to the Fight or the Rain?
Fight. Also, Kenji's end is worst for Mutou. Who knows when another student who cares about science will come along...
Fight ending is probably worst for the characters, though Rain is still more gut-wrenching.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:07 am

Now that I'm thinking about it, the manly picnic is probably one of the most depressing things I've seen in a somewhat realistic VN. Hisao, after losing the girl he cares about and spending a ton of time slowly watching the people he thought cared about him disappear until he was isolated and almost immobile in a hospital bed, gets a chance to start anew but fails to form any meaningful relationships, gets drunk and then dies with the one person he pretty much can't stand on a day meant to celebrate togetherness.

Yeesh... at least in the other endings he made an initial connection.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

Post Reply