Orientation of the girls in 3-3 (or of anyone, really)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

bhtooefr

Orientation of the girls in 3-3 (or of anyone, really)

Post by bhtooefr »

So, rather than derail someone's fanfic thread, I decided to start a new thread, replying from here: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9237#p187229
Steinherz wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:
The first time I saw that picture, I just assumed that was Natsume and Naomi's initial reaction to Hisao.
That was my assumption as well. Maybe because I assumed 3 lesbians in one rather small class were unusually high odds. I actually heard the term Romantic Friendship being dropped in connection with them.
I believe Natsume and Naomi being lesbian lovers was because of a joke by the devs along the lines of "AuraXDelta OTP".

But yeah, three lesbians in one class seems like rather high odds... *looks at my High School class, had 5 in a 21 person class* Kind of....
There may actually be as many as 5.5 lesbians in 3-3. (And, really, we don't know anything, let alone orientation, (except fanfic in some cases, and their disabilities) about Ikuno, Suzu, Molly, or Misaki, all being original characters with no characterization, and not even canon interactions happening offscreen (unlike between Hanako, Naomi, and Natsume in Lilly's route.)

I guess there's speculation that Ritsu's a lesbian? I've got no idea about anything K-On!, though.

The half lesbian (the only way I could really approximate bi in that number) would be Hanako. She's canonically into guys, of course, but I've got a couple pages of KS quotes justifying her batting for the other team too for at least one character (even if there's no chance during the VN for her to act upon it), and it's fully entrenched headcanon. And, well... this ties into the other 3-3 lesbian.

There has to be a reason for the Miki curse. And that reason is that she bats for the other team. And I'm about 99% sure she knows first-stump how bad a Hanako bad end can be. (I'm thinking that played out like... Whispered Touch turns into Misstep.)

Now, for the girls we know nothing about... the characterization that fanfic has given Molly has me leaning towards her being straight, or maybe bi but probably not. I also think that Suzu's straight as an arrow from fanfic.
Last edited by bhtooefr on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Steinherz

Re: Orientation of the girls in 3-3

Post by Steinherz »

One thing:
Ikuno and Misaki are cameos from other VNs if I recall correctly.
bhtooefr wrote:I guess there's speculation that Ritsu's a lesbian? I've got no idea about anything K-On!, though.
Ritsu is extremely lesbian. :lol:
K-On! has to be one of the most Homolust-tension filled animes that is about females only :lol:
Even more than Puella Magi Madoka Magica because with that at least it's canon that a few characters in there are gay.
bhtooefr wrote:The half lesbian (the only way I could really approximate bi in that number) would be Hanako. She's canonically into guys, of course, but I've got a couple pages of KS quotes justifying her batting for the other team too for at least one character (even if there's no chance during the VN for her to act upon it), and it's fully entrenched headcanon. And, well... this ties into the other 3-3 lesbian.
Two words:
Lilly.
Satou.
And by that I mean: Hanako is likely straight but, if given the chance, would go gay for Lilly. She's Lilly-sexual.
bhtooefr wrote:Now, for the girls we know nothing about... the characterization that fanfic has given Molly has me leaning towards her being straight, or maybe bi but probably not. I also think that Suzu's straight as an arrow from fanfic.
I have the odd feeling Molly would be the "People Lover" of the group. As in: She doesn't care if the person is male, female, transsexual, intersex.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Potato

Post by Potato »

If we're running entirely on speculation and fanfiction (which we are), there could be as many as 12,000 lesbians in class 3-3. And Hanako isn't one of them. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Somewhere I actually stumbled on something that said that Molly was actually a cameo from another game that ended up getting cancelled before it ever got off the ground.

And...
Steinherz wrote:Two words:
Lilly.
Satou.
Well, you got the Satou part right, at least. But I think Hanako prefers her blondes to be more tomboyish and with red eyes, if you know what I'm saying.

(Hmm... now that just gave me an idea for ANOTHER fanfic, off of Lilly's route. Where Hanako canonically becomes friends with a different red-eyed blonde.)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

bhtooefr wrote:
Steinherz wrote:Two words:
Lilly.
Satou.
Well, you got the Satou part right, at least. But I think Hanako prefers her blondes to be more tomboyish and with red eyes, if you know what I'm saying.

(Hmm... now that just gave me an idea for ANOTHER fanfic, off of Lilly's route. Where Hanako canonically becomes friends with a different red-eyed blonde.)
I doubt Hanako could handle the sex-goddess known as Akira Satou :lol:
But Hanako X Naomi?
Hmm....
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Naomi and Natsume come as a package deal, mind you.

Edit: Or maybe, the aftermath of this is Hanako x Naomi...

[shimmie]2011[/shimmie]
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

bhtooefr wrote:Naomi and Natsume come as a package deal, mind you.
*thinks about that*
http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_image ... u_yuri.gif
I also draw, kind of.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Having stated this in previous threads, and using it as a plot point in my recent holiday fiction, I might as well reiterate my belief that Natsume and Naomi merely emulate a same-sex relationship to deter would-be suitors from pursuing them romantically while they concentrate on club activities and academic goals; using their close platonic relationship as a smokescreen to hide their everlasting adoration for men. Evidence of this is fleeting, but neither of them fills any of the common lesbian stereotypes--neither tomboyishness, or extreme femininity. That might not necessarily mean much, but if seen apart they probably wouldn't read as lesbian to most observers, and only appear so in tandem because of intentional body language cues.

Where Molly is concerned, she's the one well-developed side character (in terms of noncanonical interpretations) that always struck me as having strong lesbian or bisexual tendencies--even more so than Misha in both regards. This is another point I expressed--though much more subtly--in my recent fiction where she shares a platonic relationship with Taro, who in turn holds back a secret about her that could potentially be damning if Takashi or Lezard learned the truth. Some of my assumption is based on DanjaDoom's Suzu universe in which Miki and Molly are quite involved sexually, but her expression in the class photo indicates a troubled sensibility, which, when coupled with her subdued femininity and personal style, seems to indicate at least an indifference toward attracting men.

As for Miki, I see her as more of an experimental lover. Being a tomboy probably attracts both sexes, and she seems to have a personality that invites new experiences, so getting involved with anyone, boy or girl, probably intrigues her. However, I don't think she would define herself as bisexual or lesbian, but rather a heterosexual girl who's open to experiencing both sexes in a romantic setting. Of all the characters, I think Miki would be the most likely to get involved with more than one lover, perhaps even at the same time, and in the same bed. Exactly why that is eludes me, but the uncanny wisdom she displays during Hanako's route, and the general mythos around her seem to indicate a potentially troubled past, which could easily have given her an unusual perspective on sex, relationships, and life in general.

Suzu, on the other hand, reads as completely heterosexual in almost every conceivable setting. Neither of the popular routes detailing romances with her so much as mention the possibility of her being interested in pursuing the fairer sex beyond a friendship role. There might be some argument about her relationship with Miki not being completely platonic, and perhaps Miki, as stated, might consider an escapade or two with the nubile narcoleptic, but I can't think of a fiction in which Miki has actually even suggested the idea--she seems to know Suzu would refuse. Incidentally, Suzu's demeanor reads the same way as Natsume and Naomi--neither totally girlish, or unusually boyish--but because she isn't paired with anyone in particular, she reads as heterosexual.
Last edited by Helbereth on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Helbereth wrote:*words words words*
True, true.
I have one question however:
Wasn't Molly holding Takashi's hand in the final CG of Hanako's route?
I also draw, kind of.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I'll admit that I appear to have a gaydar that's useless for my orientation. (Straight guy with a gaydar that only works on men, and gets things hilariously wrong on women.) So, maybe I'm not the best judge of this... :lol:

Could Molly by chance be asexual or something, maybe? (Mind you, on the asexuality spectrum, I actually lean towards Lilly (getting out of 3-3, I know) being demisexual - essentially, she needs an emotional connection before she feels sexual attraction (but in her case, it doesn't take much for the floodgates to open). It seems to fit with how she's described her past. I can't get a read on what team she bats for, though - I could take her comments as anything from being bi, to being downright homophobic.)

I do agree that Miki's probably gone through the school of hard knocks. Some fics have actually used a downright horrible past for Miki that could give her a very warped view on sexuality, although I'd expect her to be far more skittish in that regard if that were the case (like Hanako-level skittish). But, her comments regarding Hanako seem to indicate a more specific history with her, in my opinion.

As far as the final CG of Hanako's route... she's with someone, but it doesn't quite look like Takashi. And she's not holding his hand, although the art looks a little odd there.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

bhtooefr wrote:As far as the final CG of Hanako's route... she's with someone, but it doesn't quite look like Takashi. And she's not holding his hand, although the art looks a little odd there.
Well...
I see your point.
It does look like Takashi without the beret and ear-tape-thing though.

But back to the sexuality of the 3-3 girls :lol:

I just checked.
Ikuno and Misaki are indeed both cameos from different VNs. (To Heart 2 and One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~ respectively)
However neither are from a VN that would give any hints as to what their sexuality is in Katawa Shoujo :lol:
Amusingly both of them have disabilities in their VNs... but it doesn't seem that they have the same ones in Katawa Shoujo (unspecified for Ikuno, Blindness for Misaki)
I also draw, kind of.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

In retrospect, as I consider things from an outside perspective, I'm sure a casual observer could have been fooled into thinking my own pair of platonic pals--Aiko and Amaya--might have shared more than a hallway. Their history together could potentially read as an awkward romantic entanglement, especially considering the rather explosive nature of its beginning, Aiko's failed relationship with Kenta, and the constant twice-shy arrangement between Amaya and Tadao. The story starts with some events that immediately disprove any of those ideas among their classmates, but I think the mistake could have been made, and might more concisely explain why no other potential suitors pursued them since their first year.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Here's a picture of the game Molly was supposed to originally be from.
measuring shadows cast.PNG
measuring shadows cast.PNG (348.94 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
The guy she's with there is named Florian.

While lots of people seem to go with Miki having been around the block a few times, to me she feels more like a person that hasn't actually gone all the way but just talks a good game and everybody assumes she's experienced. I'm thinking she's straight but is just a tad bi-curious (and would probably feel really weird afterwards if she actually did try it.)

I don't think Hanako would want to have sex with Lilly either. She thinks of Lilly as closer to family than somebody to have a romantic relationship with. However she would go along with it Lilly pushed the issue.

Suzu and Molly, I'm thinking of as straight.

Misha is gay, her one time with Hisao due more to going through a tough time emotionally rather than actual attraction.

Natsume and Naomi ... they get a bit more difficult. They aren't just a pair. They're too different people with different outlooks. The rumor mill has it that they're a couple. They're not, they';re just good friends, although they do sometimes tease each other and play around with people's expectations. Natsume is gay, but she's not interested in romance at the moment. Naomi I'd go with being bisexual. It's quite likely that they have had sex, but they still manage to think of themselves as just friends.

Akio, Taro, and Takashi are straight.

Ritsu, Ikuno, and Misaki I really have no feelings on one way or another, so we'll go with a default "straight."

Haruhiko is gay and describes himself as feeling like a woman trapped in a man's body.

And Shizune secretly lusts after her cousin Lilly but thinks it's just weird so she pretends to be into Hisao instead. :wink:
Not Dead Yet
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Oddball wrote:Haruhiko is gay and describes himself as feeling like a woman trapped in a man's body.

And Shizune secretly lusts after her cousin Lilly but thinks it's just weird so she pretends to be into Hisao instead. :wink:
wat?
I also draw, kind of.
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Oddball wrote:Natsume and Naomi ... they get a bit more difficult. They aren't just a pair. They're too different people with different outlooks. The rumor mill has it that they're a couple. They're not, they';re just good friends, although they do sometimes tease each other and play around with people's expectations. Natsume is gay, but she's not interested in romance at the moment. Naomi I'd go with being bisexual. It's quite likely that they have had sex, but they still manage to think of themselves as just friends.
...where are you getting this information from? I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just from the way you worded it, it sounds like that was canon at one point.
Also, where'd you'd get the info for Measuring Shadows?
Ce ne sont pas une signature.