If Lilly Had Been a Boy

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: If Lilly Had Been a Boy

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:Ergo I think if Lilly were a guy he'd likely be much more cynical and abrasive. Definitely a Deadpan Snarker.
Not sure Hanako would care for that...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

Steinherz wrote:Can you imagine a guy looking like this named Bradford, William, or Reave? :lol:
http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/image/2330.jpg
How about this?

Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

If going by the way Lilly's family is depicted in the actual VN, a male Lilly would likely be more coddled, and very likely hate it. Simply because Japanese culture puts a lot of emphasis on the first-born male child, but him being blind since birth would be a bit of some shame for them. So having him sent off somewhere where his disability wouldn't bring shame upon their family is a good thing.

Ergo I think if Lilly were a guy he'd likely be much more cynical and abrasive. Definitely a Deadpan Snarker.
Actually, Lilly's family isn't depicted as anything in the VN, since we never speak to her father and her mother only has a few generic lines on the phone. What we basically know about them is what Lilly and Akira tell us and between the two of them it's difficult to reconciliate the vastly different outlooks.

My first hunch was to mention that since Lilly acts as a traditional Yamato Nadeshiko, a male Lilly would act as an almost stereotypical Japanese male. Extremely polite, not inclined to show his feelings, still very deferential to his parents and driven to study and work extremely hard from an early age. (at the expense of just about everything else)

But you're right...the oldest son does have a very special status inside a family and is generally more privileged and spoiled by his parents than his siblings...but once he grows up, he'll also be expected to accept his responsibilities. (such as looking after his parents when they grow old) I think it would be determined fairly early on that a blind male wouldn't do a good job at looking after his parents in their senior years, so my hunch would be that male-Lilly would be treated as a second son...in other words, a son, but no special status. The task of future head of the family would be expected to fall upon Akira's husband instead and he'd be expected to marry into the Satou family instead of Akira marrying into his.

Of course, male Lilly would also not be expected to be able to hold a prestigious job, so perhaps he wouldn't be pressured so hard to study either and would...in the end...still be treated more like a daughter than a son.

The result would probably be that male-Lilly would still be a bit like Lilly, but a lot more insecure due to not being perceived capable of fulfilling the duties normally expected of a first-born son.
Last edited by Guest Poster on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Draganada

Post by Draganada »

You know, the more I read this thread, the more ideas I get; and the more I want to make something out of them. :P
Rika > Lilly > Hanako > Akira > Shizune/Misha > Emi/Rin

"And they seem to jam "z"s in everywhere so that they can get more Scrabble points."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

You wouldn't be the first person to come up with ideas for a genderbent fic. I believe there's several attempts somewhere in the fanfic forum already.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Draganada

Post by Draganada »

Well, I know this is a complete contradiction of what I said at the start; but I think I have an idea worth pursuing.

So just to survey, would anyone be interested in the idea of a mostly original charater replacing Lilly's role rather than just a genderbend?

"And they seem to jam "z"s in everywhere so that they can get more Scrabble points."
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

That's a request, which is against the forum rules. Basically, just do it if you want to do it.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

No it isn't. They're just wondering if we would like this kind of story. Personally I think it would be interesting.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Yes it is. Either PM Draganada or be sorry. :evil:

Draganada, you need to review the forum stickies.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Atario

Post by Atario »

I just tried to find what forum stickies you're talking about and could only do so after rather extensive searching. Eventually had to go to an entirely different sub-board to find the one I presume you mean ("Board index ‹ Public Information ‹ Fan Works ‹ Fan Fiction" → "No Requesting", vs. this one which is in "Board index ‹ Public Information ‹ Public Discussion"). I guess you're considering this "dangling prospects of future writing"?

Edit: I meant that it could be confusing that rules in stickies in one sub-board may legitimately be thought not to apply to other sub-boards; if that's not the case, it probably needs clarification in all places where any rules are stated as well as cross-links for convenience.
Last edited by Atario on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Draganada

Post by Draganada »

It was intended to be a discussion but ended up like this, my apologies. What would you have me do about it?

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I understand the possible confusion, but it's easier to deal with such cases as they pop up away from the relevant boards rather than provide a monolithic cross-linked abomination which nobody. ever. reads. :( This is also the reason why I warned to read the stickies. ALL the stickies.

And I wouldn't have you do anything in particular. Feel free to post your embryonic fic or not, as you like. As long as no aye/nay or do this/do that happens, we're fine.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

When I'm at work I have a lot of time to myself, so my mind wanders like fuck.
I've pretty much come up with a basis idea of Male Hanako and Lilly for a KS Genderbend.
Because I have no friends.

The only real differences between my idea of Lilly and Lyle I dunno it sounds like the male equivalent of her name is that Lyle is half English rather than Half Scottish, and that because he would have testosterone flowing through him, he'd be a bit less... elegant, shall we say?

Basically when Hisako first meets him in that tearoom, sipping a mug of Tea, he is the good ol' classy sunnovabitch we all expect. As the story goes on, he allows himself to drop his classy guards in front of Hisako and can be more casual, occasionally letting slip such wonderful colloquial phrases as "bollocks" and "n' shit"

M!Hanako, obviously also being stricken with the curse of Testosterone and being in Lyle's Bloke-ish presence for a while, would mean he is a little more open than Female Hanako, giving a bit of leeway for the occasional piece of playful banter between the boys.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Munchenhausen wrote:When I'm at work I have a lot of time to myself, so my mind wanders like fuck.
I've pretty much come up with a basis idea of Male Hanako and Lilly for a KS Genderbend.
Because I have no friends.

The only real differences between my idea of Lilly and Lyle I dunno it sounds like the male equivalent of her name is that Lyle is half English rather than Half Scottish, and that because he would have testosterone flowing through him, he'd be a bit less... elegant, shall we say?

Basically when Hisako first meets him in that tearoom, sipping a mug of Tea, he is the good ol' classy sunnovabitch we all expect. As the story goes on, he allows himself to drop his classy guards in front of Hisako and can be more casual, occasionally letting slip such wonderful colloquial phrases as "bollocks" and "n' shit"

M!Hanako, obviously also being stricken with the curse of Testosterone and being in Lyle's Bloke-ish presence for a while, would mean he is a little more open than Female Hanako, giving a bit of leeway for the occasional piece of playful banter between the boys.
*looks at shimmie*
Are you sure that Hanatarou would be like that?
I seriously think he'd be pretty much the same as Hanako, just a bit more... manly :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Steinherz wrote:*looks at shimmie*
Are you sure that Hanatarou would be like that?
[exact image as i imagine him.png]
I seriously think he'd be pretty much the same as Hanako, just a bit more... manly :lol:
Aye, exactly :P He'd still be timid as F, but around his friends, he'd be more likely to have a joke

I'm so glad you posted that picture, as opposed to the *other* version
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon