Question about Lilly and Shizune

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

sg1cat

Question about Lilly and Shizune

Post by sg1cat »

If Lilly's and Shizune's fathers are brothers, then why don't the girls share the same family name? (Satou vs. Hakamichi?)
After Graduation - a Shizune/Hisao story (post-good route)
Steinherz

Re: Question about Lilly and Shizune

Post by Steinherz »

sg1cat wrote:If Lilly's and Shizune's fathers are brothers, then why don't the girls share the same family name? (Satou vs. Hakamichi?)
This has been addressed.
In short: Typos are a bitch. :lol:

In long, here's how the family works:
Hiroyuki Satou (Lilly's Father) is the brother of Mayoi Satou (Hakamichi), who married Jigoro Hakamichi (yes, Lilly's Father and Shizune's Mother have names. You just have to delve deep enough in the "Ask!" thread to find them :p )
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Steinherz wrote:Hiroyuki Satou (Lilly's Father) is the brother of Mayoi Satou (Hakamichi), who married Jigoro Hakamichi (yes, Lilly's Father and Shizune's Mother have names. You just have to delve deep enough in the "Ask!" thread to find them :p )
So the answer is that they're really only brothers-in-law?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Atario wrote:
Steinherz wrote:Hiroyuki Satou (Lilly's Father) is the brother of Mayoi Satou (Hakamichi), who married Jigoro Hakamichi (yes, Lilly's Father and Shizune's Mother have names. You just have to delve deep enough in the "Ask!" thread to find them :p )
So the answer is that they're really only brothers-in-law?
Yup.
However, the way it's said in the VN however implies that they're blood-related instead of in-laws.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Yep, they're only brothers-in-law. Hideaki's statement in Shizune's route was a mistake. (not a typo)
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Also it is not unheard of in Japan for the husband to take his wife's name.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Quoting myself from the Ask-thread:
In Japan, it's customary for the wife to marry into the husband's family and thus adopt his family name, but it's not completely uncommon for a man to marry into his wife's family and adopt her last name instead. The two most common reasons for such a thing to happen are either the man belonging to a lower class family marrying into a high class family (or the man belonging to a family that has been involved in a scandal of some sort) or the bride's father owning a family business that the groom is set to take over at some point.
That said, Mister Satou and Jigoro are still brothers-in-law and not brothers.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Guest Poster wrote:The two most common reasons for such a thing to happen are either the man belonging to a lower class family marrying into a high class family (or the man belonging to a family that has been involved in a scandal of some sort) or the bride's father owning a family business that the groom is set to take over at some point.
Hm. That might make an interesting angle for an alternate version where they are actual blood brothers: which of these could prompt Jigoro to give up the Satou name and take his wife's Hakamichi name? And maybe his over-the-top persona could be a reaction to him feeling humiliated by having to give up his own name — overcompensation.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Guest Poster wrote:Quoting myself from the Ask-thread:
In Japan, it's customary for the wife to marry into the husband's family and thus adopt his family name, but it's not completely uncommon for a man to marry into his wife's family and adopt her last name instead. The two most common reasons for such a thing to happen are either the man belonging to a lower class family marrying into a high class family (or the man belonging to a family that has been involved in a scandal of some sort) or the bride's father owning a family business that the groom is set to take over at some point.
That said, Mister Satou and Jigoro are still brothers-in-law and not brothers.
themocaw wrote:Also it is not unheard of in Japan for the husband to take his wife's name.
A few countries in the world are like that. I know for a fact Germany is one of these places. *nods*
But yes, they are still in-laws :lol:
I also draw, kind of.
demonix

Post by demonix »

Guest Poster wrote:Yep, they're only brothers-in-law. Hideaki's statement in Shizune's route was a mistake. (not a typo)
Hisao made the same mistake in Lilly's route.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

To be honest, I don't remember that statement. What exactly did he say?
Atario

Post by Atario »

Hisao wrote:Wait a minute, if Hideaki is the son of Akira's uncle, and Shizune is his sister, then that means Lilly and Shizune's fathers are brothers. Therefore…

Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Ah, thanks. Though that line could also be dismissed as Hisao simply getting part of the guesswork wrong, but still arriving at the right conclusion (Lilly and Shizune being first cousins), meaning the team could get away with not changing it.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

...You know, some people don't make a huge deal about pointing out "-in-law." Brothers-in-law are still brothers in much the same way that yellow trousers are still trousers.

So they could be biological brothers with some cultural explanation as to why Jigoro took Hakamichi (or Hiroyuki took Satou), or they could simply be brothers-in-law without anyone making a big deal about the fact that they're not brothers by blood.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Since they're said to dislike each other, it'd be likely that THEY would be quick to point out they're merely in-laws and not brothers by blood.

Anyway, Word of God said they're really brothers-in-law and that comments contradicting this in the game were false and might be corrected, so in the end the discussion is a moot one.

Also, it's really unlikely Lilly's dad could have gotten the Satou name by marrying his wife, since said wife is Scottish and Satou isn't exactly a common Scottish family name. ;)