Why is Lily the only epilogue?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
flamewolf393
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 am

Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by flamewolf393 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:30 am

Seriously, out of all 5 characters, she is the *only* one that gets an extra scene after the credits?

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Guest Poster » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:12 am

Mostly because the devs felt the rolling credits provided a nice "time skip" between the scene in the hospital and the scene on the hill.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

ProfAllister
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by ProfAllister » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:54 am

flamewolf393 wrote:Seriously, out of all 5 characters, she is the *only* one that gets an extra scene after the credits?
Because the writers of the other routes didn't feel it was necessary. "The Empire Strikes Back" had a dramatic reveal that Darth Vader, the Big Bad up to that point, was Luke's father. But it's not narratively appropriate for every movie to have a dramatic reveal where the villain reveals that he's the hero's father.

So Lilly's route is the only one where the writers felt that an epilogue was narratively appropriate.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754

User avatar
HarvestmanMan
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, 'Murica
Contact:

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by HarvestmanMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm

ProfAllister wrote:"The Empire Strikes Back" had a dramatic reveal that Darth Vader, the Big Bad up to that point, was Luke's father.
Looks like I missed a route.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2

User avatar
AledanTheGreat
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by AledanTheGreat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 pm

flamewolf393 wrote:Seriously, out of all 5 characters, she is the *only* one that gets an extra scene after the credits?
Lilly's was the only one necessary, and the only ending where you had a big desire to know what happens next, so the epilogue wwas appropriate to show the general direction of the future for Hisao+Lilly, whereas the others had suitable endings (apart from Hanako).

User avatar
Lianam
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Lianam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:40 pm

AledanTheGreat wrote:Lilly's was the only one necessary, and the only ending where you had a big desire to know what happens next, so the epilogue wwas appropriate to show the general direction of the future for Hisao+Lilly, whereas the others had suitable endings (apart from Hanako).
I think I noticed a problem in that sentence...
AledanTheGreat wrote:Lilly's was the only one necessary, and the only ending where you had a big desire to know what happens next, so the epilogue wwas appropriate to show the general direction of the future for Hisao+Lilly, whereas the others had suitable endings (apart from Hanako Shizune).
There you go, fixed. :P

In all seriousness though, how does Hanako not have a suitable ending? I can't think of a way that could've of ended more perfectly.
(And before anyone says anything, the reason I replaced Hanako with Shizune is because I honestly thought that her ending was a little too open ended.)
Ce ne sont pas une signature.

User avatar
Fealow
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Fealow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:47 pm

In all seriousness though, how does Hanako not have a suitable ending?
I think a lot of people feel this partly because of her story and character having an unstable nature. So by the time the player gets to the good ending they're left with hapypy feels mixed in with a whole load of "what if" anxiety from everything they've experienced. Which makes it difficult to outright accept that it's all sugar and spice from then on out.

User avatar
Kyler Thatch
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Kyler Thatch » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:07 pm

I think that Hanako's path ended when it did because that was the point where the story was all wrapped up. "Happily ever after" doesn't really exist, life doesn't just spontaneously dissolve into perpetual idyllic bliss. But at some point, the story has to end, take a bow and step aside, to allow a new one to begin. That's what the good end seems like to me, anyway.

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Guest Poster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 am

Which makes it difficult to outright accept that it's all sugar and spice from then on out.
It won't be. Even Hanako and Hisao outright admit that they still have difficulty understanding each other. But KS would have needed at least several more acts and probably several time skips before a sugar and spice ending would be believable. So it cut off at the right moment, right after the two made a big step forward and laid the foundations for a functioning relationship.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

User avatar
Fealow
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Fealow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:44 am

So it cut off at the right moment, right after the two made a big step forward and laid the foundations for a functioning relationship.
It's as good as we'll get, so yeah. I've moved on from the whole thing now, some feels will always remain though ^^.

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Oddball » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:46 am

It won't be. Even Hanako and Hisao outright admit that they still have difficulty understanding each other. But KS would have needed at least several more acts and probably several time skips before a sugar and spice ending would be believable. So it cut off at the right moment, right after the two made a big step forward and laid the foundations for a functioning relationship.
Yeah,m they're going to have more difficulties, and Hanako's probably got a few problems that could plague her the rest of her life (or at least for years to come) but the ending still gave me a feeling of "everything is going to be alright from here on."
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Fealow wrote:Which makes it difficult to outright accept that it's all sugar and spice from then on out.
You're not supposed to accept that because the game is not telling you that. The game never tells you that, for any ending.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Fealow
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Fealow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Xanatos wrote:
You're not supposed to accept that because the game is not telling you that. The game never tells you that, for any ending.
I just gave a probable reason why some people find that the good ending leaves them feeling unsettled. Regardless going around telling others what is and what is not simply because you say so does not make for any greater argument than what any one else has said in this thread.

It's a story it's meant to be taken subjectively. All I was implying is that a lot of people would be expecting a typical happy ever after ending, but are left with ambiguity. It's quite natural for people to focus on the negatives in such a scenario rather than the possible positives. I'm not trying to justify it or say that you're wrong in anyway, just that other peoples opinions do exist and they are entitled to them.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Fealow wrote:I'm not trying to justify it or say that you're wrong in anyway, just that other peoples opinions do exist and they are entitled to them.
Literally everyone in existence already knew that, though. Congratulations on pointing out a completely obvious thing, I guess. :?

If "it's not happily ever after!" is enough to unsettle people, every ending in the game must be unsettling because not a single one ends like that. All the bad ones end bad and the good ones are all "happy for now, but might seriously fall apart later". :lol: This isn't a fairy tale setting, it's pretty clear that reality can wreck any one of these endings pretty hard given the right circumstances.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Fealow
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Why is Lily the only epilogue?

Post by Fealow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Literally everyone in existence already knew that, though. Congratulations on pointing out a completely obvious thing, I guess. :?
As suspected, you quote the only thing that would give you some kind of ammunition.

*sigh*
If "it's not happily ever after!" is enough to unsettle people, every ending in the game must be unsettling because not a single one ends like that. All the bad ones end bad and the good ones are all "happy for now, but might seriously fall apart later". :lol: This isn't a fairy tale setting, it's pretty clear that reality can wreck any one of these endings pretty hard given the right circumstances.
Anyway your logic here ^ is sound . I totally agree. But you fail to grasp the subjectivity of all this while taking into consideration the players own personal experience up until the end. We all experienced this story differently, is it so hard for you to imagine that someone else may feel a little different about how things turned out compared to how you view it?

Also you should stop trying to convince me of anything as I don't have an issue with how this ended (at least not anymore). I'm pretty sure I made it clear a few posts up from this that I was giving a possible answer as to why other people have complained about the ending in one way or another, but you seem to have jumped on the idea that i'm arguing about the ending being "wrong" for some reason.

Post Reply