Favourite Route

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Post Reply
User avatar
yummines
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:04 pm
Location: Temecula. California

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by yummines » Sat May 12, 2012 12:46 am

nemz wrote:Really? Huh. My biggest complaint about Rin's route is how difficult Hisao kept making everything by constantly misunderstanding the situation. I thought she more or less made sense all the time, so it was quite frustrating to watch him blunder about the place and make a mess of everything.
ditto.

almost every scene that you dont make a decision its like "really HIsao, why. just why."

i can kind of excuse it due to the fact that he has his own issues which he doesnt really get over due to Rin not being much of an emotional support but it still doesnt stop his decisions from being kind of dumb.

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by ZXRN » Sat May 12, 2012 6:57 am

Emi. Her route is awesome and still the best I had. Next is Rin, hard decisions went through to get to that...And she gives me a neutral ending! (still awesome though, just a bit down from that.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by ZXRN » Sat May 12, 2012 6:59 am

yummines wrote:
nemz wrote:Really? Huh. My biggest complaint about Rin's route is how difficult Hisao kept making everything by constantly misunderstanding the situation. I thought she more or less made sense all the time, so it was quite frustrating to watch him blunder about the place and make a mess of everything.
ditto.

almost every scene that you dont make a decision its like "really HIsao, why. just why."

i can kind of excuse it due to the fact that he has his own issues which he doesnt really get over due to Rin not being much of an emotional support but it still doesnt stop his decisions from being kind of dumb.
haha felt that one too, my reaction was kinda "oooo, you fucked up so baaaad."
So unstable, that guy...
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

User avatar
MasterJHG
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Panama

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by MasterJHG » Sun May 13, 2012 1:07 am

My favotite Ruote/Girl is Hanako, her route may be short, yes, but going throuthg it makes feel like "I must to do it right", I like she because being so shy, you must work hard for get close to her, and slowly knowing her likes, dislikes, fears and more. She is very serius when she want to be that way (be jealous of Lily, when you buy her gift is a sign that, even timid, is a girl in love), all that happens in her route is just make it more real for me, that's why i like her.

In other hands, Lily's route isn't bad at all, in fact i like it. her relationship with hisao is more "normal" or "common", they meet, they spend time together and they fall in love, that's it, and the small details, like the phone calls, the kisses, the jokes (i never forget Lily's "inocent" way to ask hisao to take a bath together), all the points are very real, like a normal couple, even see her angry was so real (beating the ground with her fist saying "dammit", was cool), and the most important, Hanako realy inproves herself, well, maybe because her route is the half of this one, but I like anyways.
Image

if she needs a prince, then I will be that prince

User avatar
mysterycycle
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm
Location: Silent Hill, USA

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by mysterycycle » Mon May 14, 2012 6:34 pm

It's funny, because on the surface it seemed like an easy question to answer, but now that I think about it, I'm kind of conflicted. I liked all of the girls - even if I could never have a relationship with Shizune or Rin, I still ended up caring about them and considering them friends. If it's solely about which girl I liked the most, I've got my little banners in my sig. But then I had to consider which I felt was the best story overall, and I thought they were all good (even if Shizune's path bored me to tears at points). So ultimately I think I had to decide based on how much I could relate to Hisao's personality in each path.

My first path - where I answered based solely on what I would have done were I Hisao - had me pursuing Emi, which surprised me because I didn't really think of her as my type; while I'm attracted to outgoing, athletic girls, I've never been much for blondes or petite girls. I had been kind of following Hanako up until then. Hisao also struck me as a really boring person in this route; he never seemed to have anything to occupy himself with when he was alone, and that's something I've never had a problem with. But I stuck with it and found that it really resonated with me; the way Emi and Hisao teased each other and just got along in general, and the way in which she was always working to help him felt very much like some of my own romantic experiences (Emi also had a lot of traits in common with the girl I never got over, too, which I'm certain helped). The thing with her dad seemed really obvious to me from the start, so I spent some time shaking my head at Hisao's cluelessness, but I must admit that I have been equally clueless in the past, so there you go. Thus, my kneejerk reaction to the question would be to say it was Emi, and I'm not certain that would be an incorrect answer for me.

However, Hanako was the kind of girl I would have secretly had feelings for when I was in high school, and the way Hisao behaved in that path would very much have been like how I would have at least wanted to behave then. Hanako and I are both introverts who enjoy reading and games, so we'd certainly have a lot in common, too. While, like many others here, I would have liked to see more of their actual relationship, I thought that her Good Ending was quite poignant, and even the chapter title, "Adulthood", said quite a bit. She and Hisao were, for the first time, entering a mature relationship with each other, and would continue to open up as they got to know each other and shed the insecurities that had held them both back for so long. I even felt the change in Hisao as I was reading that final part (through my manly tears, of course) - it finally felt like he was just being himself with her, instead of talking through his "double-padded silk gloves" demeanor.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lilly's path, but that was the point at which I started to realize that each girl was probably going to require Hisao to have a mindset that was at least somewhat alien to me. Hisao in that path was so responsible and mature in the way he carried himself, and I know I've never been that confident, either in high school or now. Shizune's path was utterly foreign to me, and I fear I lost all emotional attachment to it half-way through. Only Misha's revelation tugged at my heartstrings, but then it was back to the personality types that I simply couldn't relate to. I'm glad that some of you can and did, though.

Rin is a special case. I could completely relate to Hisao's personality in her route, because I've been there, too. I've been the moody artistic type, and in my more depressed phases I behaved a lot like him. I did really poorly in high school not because I couldn't do the work, but because I just didn't feel like it and I preferred to draw or write roleplaying game stuff, and much later on, I attended art school. So it wasn't at all a huge stretch for me to get into his mindset in Rin's path. However, it was also depressing, because it reminded me so much of the parts of me I don't like (perhaps also appropriate). Rin's story spoke to me on a couple of levels, and while there were parts where I wasn't quite agreeing with the philosophical bits, for the most part it was a situation I could see myself experiencing. But it HURT so much, from start to finish. It was really a different kind of experience than the other routes had been; it was clearly a love story, but it was utterly unlike anything I've ever experienced.

In the end, I have to compliment the writers on all of the routes, because they were all so well-done.

tl;dr: A tie between Emi and Hanako.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt

Reject14
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by Reject14 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Hmm thinking about it.... Ok i would have to say Lilly or Hanako, in the middle is Rin and at the bottom is Shizune and Emi. Lilly would probably go on top of Hanako, but overall i'd give them a tie, only reason to put Lilly on top is that Hanako's story was stopped right when they blossomed, (still i would give them a tie but there can only be 1)

User avatar
Helbereth
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: My favorite girl/route

Post by Helbereth » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:25 pm

I found things that I liked about all five stories - and things I disliked.

Rin:

First was Rin. Now, I simply loved how baffling a conversation could end up being with her. The fact that she seemed to approach every situation like a casual observer was awe inspiring - being able to detach herself from what was happening so fully. I envied that. It was inspiring just to try and think like that. However, that same detachment made the romantic scenes exceedingly awkward. Hisao tried so hard to be in the moment with her, but she was always somewhere else no matter how much importance he saw in the interaction.

The end of the story was the most frustrating of all. In either end, you really don't have a good idea of how things will turn out. I'm a bit of a realist, so I like having a concrete idea of what to expect in the future even if I know I can't predict everything. So, whether it was in a flowery field or a rainy street, the ending with Rin felt like bittersweet uncertainty. It was exhausting.

Hanako:

Next, I believe I followed Hanako's route. Now, I'm a hopeless romantic in a real sense. A guilty pleasure of mine (and I admit this expecting ridicule) is that I enjoy RomComs. I don't believe that's how things can or should happen, but, the idea of two people facing insurmountable odds and ending up together anyway, is hope incarnate. The tale of Hisao and Hanako is not dissimilar to that kind of story. The broken girl and the broken boy find a way to mend their hearts together. A one-sentence description of a much more complex story, but it's not inaccurate.

I found myself identifying with both characters. Hanako's checkered past being teased for her looks and turning inward; I went through something similar. Hisao's sense that he needed to try and help Hanako through the ordeal; I would have felt similarly. The problem I ended up having, though, is how Hisao doesn't even consider that Hanako wasn't as frail as she seemed. In the good ending, she has to explain it to him - and it ends amicably. In the bad ending, he gets screamed out of her room for trying to impose his assistance upon her. In the neutral ending, he simply decides to continue handling her with kid gloves. In neither ending did he actually come to that realization on his own. That was disppointing.

Shizune:

Following that, I started down Shizune's route. Honestly, I enjoyed the story. I loved Shizune's personalty and drive. The way she tried to pull people to her was charming, even though the communication wall tended to end up pushing people away. Hisao reacted much like I would to her advances. He basically didn't want anything to do with her or the Student Council, but went along with it in spite of himself. Later, when he decided to learn sign language 'out of necessity', I understood completely. There's something amazing about a deaf mute being the loudest voice heard, and I would have wanted to know what she said without a translator.

Now, I didn't completely enjoy the whole story. While I found Shizune especially intriguing and complex, I was much less infatuated with Misha. Up until the sequence on the roof, there's never any indication that she's anything other than an airhead - and I fault the author for that, really. When it hits that she's been secretly depressed through the whole game, not to mention jealous of both Shizune and Hisao, it actually doesn't hit as hard because she had been so one-dimensional up until then. Also, the lack of branches in the story was disappointing. Other tales presented several choices from beginning to end that would alter future events, good or bad or just different, where Shizune's tale really only presented one such deviation.

I'll finish this later, it's taking a while...

User avatar
Bailey
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm
Location: England

Favourite Route

Post by Bailey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere, but I didn't see it anywhere in the most recent pages, so I'm starting a new one.
Which route is your favourite AND WHY?

Obvious spoilers are gonna be here...

My favourite is Shizune's, probably because it's the most realistic and the one I would end up with if I was in Hisao's situation. Although I'm dissapointed with the ending, it will always be my favourite, closely followed by Lilly's and Hanako's in joint second.
Hanako used to have no scaring... But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Favourite Route

Post by Xanatos » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Why Hanako's and Lilly's?

Picking a favorite is tough...Lilly's my favorite girl but her route bugs me because the entire conflict is just a lot of stupid failure to communicate from all parties.

Shizune's route was enjoyable but I had this bizarre disconnected feeling throughout because my mind refused to assign a voice to someone who was supposed to be silent.

Rin's route was a roller coaster...A very good one but just too exhausting. Too exhausting.

I'd say Hanako and Emi are tied, routewise. Hanako's for the route in general being full of great scenes and Hanako being my type in a number of ways, and Emi's because...Well, Nurse. He's a total bro and their scenes together are hilarious. :lol: And the shed scene, and Emi basically being a puppy in human form even when she tries to act angry. And the sad bits were really well-written...The endings too, even if Emi is a complete bitch in one.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
hitman555z
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:19 pm
Location: ny

Re: Favourite Route

Post by hitman555z » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:14 pm

the first route i was on is emi. i feel as if that is the best route to keep hisao healthy, and have him build a very active sex life. lemons and anal!

in terms of feels of happiness, hanakos route caused tears from the happiness of how it ends.

in terms of feeling betrayed and just torn apart, rin takes the cake here. im still kind of shocked how shes like "well seeya hisao. i can give a fuck about you and how you feel :) "

still need to start shizunes route. its been planned since months ago lol.
no hidden message in here

User avatar
Bailey
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm
Location: England

Re: Favourite Route

Post by Bailey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 pm

hitman555z wrote:the first route i was on is emi. i feel as if that is the best route to keep hisao healthy, and have him build a very active sex life. lemons and anal!

in terms of feels of happiness, hanakos route caused tears from the happiness of how it ends.

in terms of feeling betrayed and just torn apart, rin takes the cake here. im still kind of shocked how shes like "well seeya hisao. i can give a fuck about you and how you feel :) "

still need to start shizunes route. its been planned since months ago lol.
Emi was my first route to.

P.S. If you don't start Shizune's route immediatly.... Bad things will happen...
Hanako used to have no scaring... But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.

User avatar
Bailey
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm
Location: England

Re: Favourite Route

Post by Bailey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Xanatos wrote:Why Hanako's and Lilly's?

Picking a favorite is tough...Lilly's my favorite girl but her route bugs me because the entire conflict is just a lot of stupid failure to communicate from all parties.

Shizune's route was enjoyable but I had this bizarre disconnected feeling throughout because my mind refused to assign a voice to someone who was supposed to be silent.

Rin's route was a roller coaster...A very good one but just too exhausting. Too exhausting.

I'd say Hanako and Emi are tied, routewise. Hanako's for the route in general being full of great scenes and Hanako being my type in a number of ways, and Emi's because...Well, Nurse. He's a total bro and their scenes together are hilarious. :lol: And the shed scene, and Emi basically being a puppy in human form even when she tries to act angry. And the sad bits were really well-written...The endings too, even if Emi is a complete bitch in one.
Why Hanako's and lilly's you ask?
The feels. 'Nuf said.

I think that the reason you gave for feeling disconnected in Shizune's route is valid, but it seems like you tried to find a flaw with it, seeing how it's an external issue rather than one from the novel itself :P
Hanako used to have no scaring... But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.

User avatar
dewelar
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: The Fifth Thing

Re: Favourite Route

Post by dewelar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:22 pm

All right. "Favorite route", huh? Since I answered the "Best route" question with "Rin's, without question", people probably expect me to answer this one the same way, but to me they're totally different questions. For me, "favorite route" means "which one do you go back and play most often?"

The answer to that one is also easy. Emi's, without question.

I have the most fun with Emi's route. As Xanatos said above, his exchanges with Nurse (and Emi's exchanges with both of them) are just great. Emi herself has such great facial expressions throughout, and the route as a whole is just more...uplifting, I guess is the word for it, than the others. It's the one that is most likely to help me out of my dark places, and the one that just has the most positive charge. Plus, Emi herself is so damn irresistible :D .

Now, I would still put Rin's second, because that route is true freakin' literature, and Rin is the character in the game to whom I can most relate. Hanako's is a solid third, with the other two a tough call between them for 4th-5th.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!

User avatar
Bailey
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm
Location: England

Re: Favourite Route

Post by Bailey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:38 pm

dewelar wrote:All right. "Favorite route", huh? Since I answered the "Best route" question with "Rin's, without question", people probably expect me to answer this one the same way, but to me they're totally different questions. For me, "favorite route" means "which one do you go back and play most often?"

The answer to that one is also easy. Emi's, without question.

I have the most fun with Emi's route. As Xanatos said above, his exchanges with Nurse (and Emi's exchanges with both of them) are just great. Emi herself has such great facial expressions throughout, and the route as a whole is just more...uplifting, I guess is the word for it, than the others. It's the one that is most likely to help me out of my dark places, and the one that just has the most positive charge. Plus, Emi herself is so damn irresistible :D .

Now, I would still put Rin's second, because that route is true freakin' literature, and Rin is the character in the game to whom I can most relate. Hanako's is a solid third, with the other two a tough call between them for 4th-5th.
Although I know that Favourite and Best are 2 seperate questions, the answer for me is the same :)
Although I liked Emi's for being kinda positive throughout, it just felt like there wasn't much emotion, same with Rin :/
Hanako used to have no scaring... But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.

User avatar
dewelar
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: The Fifth Thing

Re: Favourite Route

Post by dewelar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Bailey wrote:Although I liked Emi's for being kinda positive throughout, it just felt like there wasn't much emotion, same with Rin :/
:shock:

Are you sure you read Rin's route? :wink:
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!

Post Reply