What to change

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Post Reply
Charque
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

What to change

Post by Charque » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Aight, so I was on 4chan when I found a KS thread some days ago, I decided to play it through and so far i've done all of the routes.

The one that truly pierced my heart was hanako's route. 3 days after completing it, I still feel empty.

I felt something I've never felt before, as if I had an empty inside of my soul, so I decided to google it and see if anyone else felt that way.
Doing so, I stumbled uppon these forums. I read one of the admin thread and one line certainly caught my attention:

"When KS (or any other media) gives you feels, it's because there's something in the media that speaks to you. Generally, you see something that you want, but can't have (a lost loved one, a romantic partner, happiness, a sense of belonging, fulfillment, etc.) It's best to look deep within yourself, and try to figure out what it is that your body's telling you that you want."

So I was like, okay, this line obviously fits me.

But a question sprung onto my head.

Knowing that hanako was the character that gave me most of the feels, What is there for me to change in order to stop feeling so hollow ?

Ritter Delorges
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Germany

Re: What to change

Post by Ritter Delorges » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I have no idea if we will be able to find out, but can you give a little more detail? What was it about Hanako's route? Which end or ends did you get?

Was it Hanako's backstory or her overall situation?
Something specific that happened during the route?
The dynamics of their relationship?
Hisao's views and behaviour?
Your own perspective and choices?

Even if you don't really know, a little speculation might help to get the ball rolling.

Charque
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

Re: What to change

Post by Charque » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Ritter Delorges wrote:I have no idea if we will be able to find out, but can you give a little more detail? What was it about Hanako's route? Which end or ends did you get?

Was it Hanako's backstory or her overall situation?
Something specific that happened during the route?
The dynamics of their relationship?
Hisao's views and behaviour?
Your own perspective and choices?

Even if you don't really know, a little speculation might help to get the ball rolling.
>What was it about Hanako's route?
I can't really be specific, to me it was just everything seemed to piece together into a huge puzzle of perfection, the story, the development... Everything...

>Which end or ends did you get?[
As much as I would love to be mentally capable of going through any other end, I got the good one.

>Was it Hanako's backstory or her overall situation?
It wasn't as much for her backstory, I got more sucked into the situation because of her personality

>Something specific that happened during the route?
Well, how she reacted to her birthday and the ending really made me get the feels and understand her alot more

>The dynamics of their relationship?
I don't think that had anything to do with it

>Hisao's views and behaviour?
Well, the thing is that not only me and hisao were completely in sync, he acted so much like I would (except for the h-scene, that one was just really out of place) but he also thought like me, it's as if hisao = me in that route

>Your own perspective and choices?
Well, my perspective and choices would be the same as hisao (Again, except for the h-scene, I would problably had chosen a better time)

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: What to change

Post by Loonie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Okay.

Given that you identify with Hisao's thoughts so much...have you considered what he thinks of himself in Hanako's good ending? One of the best parts of that moment (for me at least) is that Hisao realizes that he himself had been wounded through his forceful relocation to Yamaku and that in many ways he was just as vunerable as Hanako ever was during her route. The only difference was that he did not show it quite as visibly or perhaps didn't dare to admit it to himself.

Do you think this could apply to something in your life? It's okay if it doesn't - just a thought considering your replies to Ritter's questions.

Charque
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

Re: What to change

Post by Charque » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Loonie wrote:Okay.

Given that you identify with Hisao's thoughts so much...have you considered what he thinks of himself in Hanako's good ending? One of the best parts of that moment (for me at least) is that Hisao realizes that he himself had been wounded through his forceful relocation to Yamaku and that in many ways he was just as vunerable as Hanako ever was during her route. The only difference was that he did not show it quite as visibly or perhaps didn't dare to admit it to himself.

Do you think this could apply to something in your life? It's okay if it doesn't - just a thought considering your replies to Ritter's questions.
>have you considered what he thinks of himself in Hanako's good ending?
The idea that I got was that he felt like crap for making hanako feel like crap, and that he depended on her as much as she depended on him

>Do you think this could apply to something in your life?
Well, my dad beat me up when I was young, but some years past and he said that "I want you to have a bad time like I did so that you can grow strong like me" And being an open minded person, I put some thought into this and I realized that what he did took alot of courage, and was problably not one of the best education methods, but truly helped me become someone greater, he only did it when he was drunk as f*ck, I guess it would be easier like that.

Either way, I guess I can't really change myself because I don't want to go after a "Hanako". In reality, I guess i was just so touched by her story that I felt like shit for no reason.

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: What to change

Post by Loonie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Charque wrote:Well, my dad beat me up when I was young, but some years past and he said that "I want you to have a bad time like I did so that you can grow strong like me" And being an open minded person, I put some thought into this and I realized that what he did took alot of courage, and was problably not one of the best education methods, but truly helped me become someone greater, he only did it when he was drunk as f*ck, I guess it would be easier like that.
You should know that most people would not react to something like this the way you did. Most people would blame their parent for striking them while under the influence. In fact, him beating you while he was drunk really undermines his reason of "wanting you to be strong like him." When you're drunk you tend to act on impulse rather than something as premeditated like that.

Now...I could go onwards with my conjecture but honestly I'd just wind up sounding preachy and I don't like to be such, especially to someone whom I just got into a chat over the internet less than an hour ago and of whom I still know precious little. Suffice it to say, I honestly do think there was a pretty damn good reason for the way you reacted to Hanako's story.

You might be tempted to rationalize it away in the future, just like you did with your last line in your post...you might want to think this reaction of yours doesn't matter anyway. I'll only ask you to do one thing: Don't. When you feel like thinking about it, indulge in your thoughts, take some time for them if you have to. But I promise you, chances are that eventually you'll come across something that was worthwhile thinking about.

User avatar
Liminaut
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm
Location: Broca's Area

Re: What to change

Post by Liminaut » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Why is feeling hollow a bad thing?

Any work that can bring out strong emotions is to be treasured, as is the emotions themselves. Our society doesn't put huge stock in the negative emotions -- loneliness, hollowness, despair, guilt -- but these negative emotions can be sources of great personal growth and maturation.

Cherish that hollowness. Go into it, explore it. Understand what it tells you about yourself.

You say "I guess i was just so touched by her story that I felt like shit for no reason." There was a reason you felt so bad -- an absolutely valid reason. You just don't understand the reason yet. And accepting and exploring the hollowness can help you understand the reason.

Charque
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

Re: What to change

Post by Charque » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Loonie wrote:
Charque wrote:Well, my dad beat me up when I was young, but some years past and he said that "I want you to have a bad time like I did so that you can grow strong like me" And being an open minded person, I put some thought into this and I realized that what he did took alot of courage, and was problably not one of the best education methods, but truly helped me become someone greater, he only did it when he was drunk as f*ck, I guess it would be easier like that.
You should know that most people would not react to something like this the way you did. Most people would blame their parent for striking them while under the influence. In fact, him beating you while he was drunk really undermines his reason of "wanting you to be strong like him." When you're drunk you tend to act on impulse rather than something as premeditated like that.

Now...I could go onwards with my conjecture but honestly I'd just wind up sounding preachy and I don't like to be such, especially to someone whom I just got into a chat over the internet less than an hour ago and of whom I still know precious little. Suffice it to say, I honestly do think there was a pretty damn good reason for the way you reacted to Hanako's story.

You might be tempted to rationalize it away in the future, just like you did with your last line in your post...you might want to think this reaction of yours doesn't matter anyway. I'll only ask you to do one thing: Don't. When you feel like thinking about it, indulge in your thoughts, take some time for them if you have to. But I promise you, chances are that eventually you'll come across something that was worthwhile thinking about.
Misery loves company, I guess.
I wonder why I didn't connect as much with lilly seeing as she has a past similar to mine

You made me realise alot of things...
Thanks.

User avatar
ZXNova
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: What to change

Post by ZXNova » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:54 pm

As far as relating to a character, I think I would relate to Hanako the most, however, the character that I got sucked into the most was Rin. Congrats on getting the good ending. I don't think I can say as much as other people since I didn't get sucked into Hanako the most, but I know how you're feeling.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Touhou guy here.
You cannot deny the cuteness of my avatar. If you try to deny it, your subconscious shall be devoured.
All of my yes.
By order of favorites: Rin > Lilly > Hanako > Shizune > Emi

Charque
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

Re: What to change

Post by Charque » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:00 pm

ZXNova wrote:As far as relating to a character, I think I would relate to Hanako the most, however, the character that I got sucked into the most was Rin. Congrats on getting the good ending. I don't think I can say as much as other people since I didn't get sucked into Hanako the most, but I know how you're feeling.
I don't feel it anymore, I now know why I felt that way.
Thank you, Loonie.

PS: The story still gives me chills down my body tho, hanako 4 life :lol:

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: What to change

Post by Loonie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:56 am

Charque wrote:I don't feel it anymore, I now know why I felt that way.
Thank you, Loonie.
Glad it helped. :) Ritter started it off damn well too with solid questions so...props go to him about as much I think.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: What to change

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:46 am

Change your underwear. /thread
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: What to change

Post by Guest Poster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:25 am

The hollow feeling will probably subside eventually. Just tough it out a bit and join the legion of Hanako-fans that already frequent this forum.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: What to change

Post by KeiichiO » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:43 am

Xanatos wrote:Change your underwear. /thread
I do that sometimes.

User avatar
wazuzu
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

Re: What to change

Post by wazuzu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:01 pm

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Change your underwear. /thread
I do that sometimes.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
You change his underwear? :|

Post Reply