Which ending is most likely for you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ZXNova

Which ending is most likely for you?

Post by ZXNova »

If you were completely in Hisao's position, without the decisions popping on front of you and all that, which ending do you believe you would have gotten with the girls? This seems like a weird question, and but basically I'm saying what decisions would have most likely made if you were pursuing one of the 5 girls.

For me, I'm sure I may have gotten Lilly's Neutral Ending. In fact, in my first playthrough (I was wanting to pursue Rin, ended up on Lilly's route) this is the ending I got. So I'm real sure this is the ending I would have got with her. The way her storyline is, you gotta get these 3 choices right, and if you get one of them wrong, you will absolutely get the neutral end.

I'm very sure I would have gotten Hanako's bad end. Sadly. Considering the fact at that one point, if you choose "let's do nothing" you will absolutely get the bad end. Well, I'm a guy who likes doing nothing. I think it's a matter of my mood on that day. I might have got her good ending, but I'm leaning more towards bad. Neutral is the least likely I'm to get though. (Hanako has the best neutral ending in my opinion.)

I'm certain I would have gotten Emi's good ending. I know for sure I would have talked to Emi's mom instead of trying to talk to her. Mama's know best.

Shizune's good ending, for certain. Cause during the playthrough, it's pretty obvious what choice leads to her bad ending. Could you really cheat on Shizune with her best friend? That's something I definitely couldn't do.

Rin is a weird one. Obviously. I know for certain I wouldn't get her neutral end. It's between her good and bad end. I believe it's a matter of how patient I'm feeling at that time. I'm more patient then not, but Rin can certainly test your patience. So I'm not too sure. I'm leaning more towards good end. (Which is what I want.)

So how about you?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Touhou guy here.
You cannot deny the cuteness of my avatar. If you try to deny it, your subconscious shall be devoured.
All of my yes.
By order of favorites: Rin > Lilly > Hanako > Shizune > Emi
dewelar

Re: Which ending is most likely for you?

Post by dewelar »

ZXNova wrote:If you were completely in Hisao's position, without the decisions popping on front of you and all that, which ending do you believe you would have gotten with the girls? This seems like a weird question, and but basically I'm saying what decisions would have most likely made if you were pursuing one of the 5 girls.
An interesting thought experiment. To put myself completely in Hisao's position, I must first think about what I was like in my senior year of high school. Going in alphabetical order:

Emi - Good ending via the more roundabout Misha discussion path rather than the direct path. My aversion to running might have kept me off the Emi path altogether, though. I would've wound up with Aiko from Tomorrow's Doom instead.

Hanako - Good ending because I would have trusted Lilly's judgment over my own gut.

Lilly - Non-good ending not because I wouldn't have opened up to her, but because I don't think I could have brought myself to chase her down like that. I didn't have that kind of self-confidence. Not to mention I wouldn't have had money to blow on the long cab ride.

Rin - None of the above because I wouldn't have been as dense as Hisao was regarding her cues. To speculate on what ending that might have led to is kind of difficult. Based solely on what leads to each ending, though, I would not have done either of the things that booted Hisao off the Good Ending path, so I'd go with that.

Shizune - Good ending even barring the stupidity required of sleeping with your girlfriend's best friend, I just don't find Misha attractive in the least, even if she wasn't playing for the other team.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
FeroxAnima

Post by FeroxAnima »

***I don't think there are any serious spoilers here, but if there are, they are from Lilly's route. So if you haven't completed it, maybe you should skip this :P

Well, my first (and so far only) playthrough got me to Lilly's good ending, and what I did was just make the choices I'd make in real life, had I been given such a list of specific available choices (except for the first one - to introduce myself to the class; I'd likely have chickened there. but it doesn't matter in this case). So I'd like to think that's what would happen.

But, knowing myself better, I'd likely be too shy to talk to anyone on my own initiative.
If I would, somehow, get close to Lilly, I'm rather sure I'd make the right choices later on. The problem is getting close to Lilly in the first place.
Probably no manly picnic neither though, seeing as I'd listen to Kenji out of politeness but then be awfully freaked out by him - and just run away the second it seems remotely appropriate :P

So... I'll end up sitting alone at the cafeteria, wanting, from the depths of my heart, to make a friend - but not managing to bring myself to do so.

Edit:
I dislike my phrasing. As usual. And as usual, non of my rephrasing makes it sound any better :(
But that's what I managed to work out:
When I get even a little close to someone, I can quite easily warm up to them, and get more confident pretty fast.
This leads me to believe that if I could get to a situation like the one in which Hisao first meets Lilly, as they converse over tea, just that one first meeting – I could make the right choices and get a happy ending. I honestly do believe that.
The only problem is actually getting to that first meeting, and talking to her for the first time.
I really do need to work on self-expression, through writing especially.
Last edited by FeroxAnima on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"May the Force be ever in your favor."
Effie-Wan Trinoby

If you happen to have a spare copy of the Midwinter artbook for sale, I'd be grateful if you let me know :D

That one day was a good one.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

That seems to be a good topic to dump my ideas I was going to post in a new one. So, thank you ZXNova, kinda.

I'll start from Emi.
If I'd face a blunt binary choice of running at my limit vs giving up - I'd give up.
Having some freedom of choice, I'd run with her every day. And I think I'd retort every verbal attack, starting from her thinking that runner's high is better than sex (Well, I don't know, why don't you show me?), and going on with her mom (I'm not dating Rin, mrs Ibarazaki, I'm dating your lovely daughter. Can you give us your blessings?). I think it definitely gonna be a good ending from the first try (I know the very meaning of need in personal space and need in self-cooking). And, I'd do her lemonally the correct way, unlike Hisao did.

Thinking of Rin, I'd definitely be her bro. I don't know, good ending? Friends, who happen to have secks? The best relationship Rin could ever hope to develop. No strings attached, no getting mad for no reason, no stupid "normal people demands".

Shizune... Bad ending. I'd never feel her like my girlfriend. Having sex with Misha? Hardly. Having stupid promise-like relationship after Yamaku? Downright impossible.

Lilly. It's very simple. I'd give her the choice. The binary one, not with some sort of "we will probably try to develop relationships being far away from each other". That's bullshit. You either go with your family, like a little daughter, or you go with me, like a grown one. Not this harsh, but with this idea in mind. What I will end up with? Probably good one, since I am very bad in lying in person (but okay in lying over standard TCP/IP). Or maybe bad one from being too straightforward.

Hanako is a hard one. If she woudn't avoid me like hell from treating her like normal person from the start, then it gonna be a good one. But much more likely she will avoid me forever, both she and Lilly. And, I'd be interrogated by Nurse or Mutou for not forcing into her personal space. And I can be annoying.

So, it's 2 good ones (Rin, Emi), 2 bad ones (Schizu and Hanako), and 1 Schrödinger‎ ending (Lilly).
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Well, without the decisions popping up for you, you're free to manipulate things into any of a number of conceivable endings that aren't in the game.

But setting that aside, probably Hanako's neutral ending...Though in keeping with the above, I'd consider this an unpleasant limitation and somehow plot my way back to a good end that is different from the game's own but with the same ultimate end result. Probably end up confessing over a chess match rather than the park. XD

Though dropped into Yamaku and left to my own devices, I'd likely withdraw into myself and become another Hanako (and a worse one, unless Lilly took on another ward :lol:) unless Shizune or Emi or someone barged into my life demanding fitness or paperwork or whatever.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
ZXNova

Post by ZXNova »

Since people are getting more specific, I guess I'll be a little more specific.

Knowing I have a heart condition, I would not have not been willing to run after Lilly like I did. I may have tried, but I would not try to push myself. So I may not have fallen over and had a heart attack, so it would have been pointless.

I would have said "do nothing" at that one point in Hanako's arc, but I would have trusted Lilly's judgment and left her alone. I really don't think I would have said the things done in Hanako's bad ending (Honestly, Hisao was talking and not listening.) Though, I get the feeling the same result would have happened, either that or the neutral ending. If I decided to go in town, I would definitely get the good ending.

Rin well, I know I would have been against what Nomiya was doing. To me, it looks like his dreams are being forced on her, so I would probably try to say something more beneficial for her well being, and try to indirectly discourage her from doing what he wants. Her cues are difficult to read, but I may have been able to pick up on some of them. Now saying the right things, that's something more intuitive. If things go as they did, I would get the good ending. If I remember correctly, you get her neutral ending because you didn't say the right things to her, and you encouraged her to be a "true artist". You didn't really seem to understand.

Emi, well, just like what another guy said, I don't think I would have gone for it, and kept running. Plus I'm too lazy to wake up that early in the morning just to do some morning jog. Would have been too paranoid to get a heart attack too. Not saying it's absolute, if I did go for it, I would have been more likely to have lunch with Emi then Shizune. One event leads to another, you're on Emi's route. (And I know for sure I would not have went through with the 2nd H-Scene, oh my god. Ew, no.) I would have tried to stay with her, so I would have went to the nurse or her mom for advice. I would also follow what Mutou said. QUARKS. It's always a good idea to seek advice from the people closet to that person.

And Shizune, well, no explanation is needed. (The thought would cross my mind about the first H-Scene being rape or not.)
You cannot deny the cuteness of my avatar. If you try to deny it, your subconscious shall be devoured.
All of my yes.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ZXNova wrote:The thought would cross my mind about the first H-Scene being rape or not.
It wasn't...

Honestly, if I ran into Emi's bad end, I'd probably try to calm her down (by slapping the shit out of her if necessary because she's kinda a stubborn bitch XP) then try to explain why she's being a damn idiot. <.< Dunno where that'd leave me...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Weird Heather

Post by Weird Heather »

This is interesting to consider. I am trying to imagine placing my personality in a teenage boy with a heart problem. Furthermore, high school is so far in the past for me that I sometimes struggle to remember just what it was like. "Katawa Shoujo" has helped remind me of that distant time.

Given that my personality is something like a monstrous hybrid of Rin and Hanako, my social skills in the years before I finished high school were terrible, and that I am a chronic avoider of romantic entanglements, I can't see myself developing a relationship with any of the girls. It is possible that I could have befriended one of the girls and not pursued romance at all, something like the friendships between Rin and Emi or Lilly and Hanako. Relating this to the novel, partial progress down any one of the paths, ending in stagnation at some point, is a likely result. Hanako's neutral ending, Rin's good ending (minus the sex), Shizune's good ending (again minus the sex), partial progress down Lilly's path (or maybe the neutral ending), or little progress down Emi's path (because I am dreadfully allergic to exercise) might happen if I befriended one of these girls.

However, given my dreadful social skills at the time, even befriending one of the girls seems unlikely, so Kenji's "manly picnic" is the ending that fits best. However, although I started drinking when I was 12 years old, I never drank heavily in those years (and still don't to this day), so while I would have partaken of Kenji's generously provided booze, I would not have consumed enough to get drunk, and I would not have fallen off the roof. Since I like crazy people, I would probably have developed a friendship with Kenji, and would have retreated with him into the alternate reality where everything that goes wrong is explained by an insidious conspiracy of evil feminists.
Jedoisallerfairequelquechose!
ZXNova

Post by ZXNova »

Well thought out. Honestly, I don't think I could befriend Kenji. I would try my best to avoid him, but everyone knows there's no escaping Kenji.
All of my yes.
TheCreate

Post by TheCreate »

I personally think I would have ended up with Hanako's good ending Not sure when I realized it, but the phone call to Lily made me definitely certain that Hanako doesn't need a knight in shining armor. Pampering her would only remind her that she's different. All she needed was a friend.
Rin is a little trickier, I think it would be either the Good or Bad ending (Depending on my patience at the time. As you said, being around Rin requires a LOT of patience...)
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

As with everything Hanako, her hints on the White Knight issue are rather subtle. But, they're there.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

TheCreate wrote:As you said, being around Rin requires a LOT of patience...
Not so. Understanding Rin requires patience. Deciphering Rin requires patience.

To quote something my father told me while watching an improv comedy show (Whose Line Is It Anyway?, the current series), "The key [to improv] is to always say 'yes'. Never reject or question what happens, just go with it."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

What Xan said. Around Rin, you can always shrug your shoulders after she says something and ...

"Beer for you?"
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

I'm not so sure I'd be on the Emi path to begin with; IIRC, having Hisao push himself on the track is required to go down that route. I'm just not that stupid competitive or stupid. Assuming I did somehow get her path, I'd like to think that I could get to her good ending. I am pretty sure that I (and everyone else for that matter) could have surmised that Emi's father had died. Talking to Meiko instead of chasing after Emi had always been the more logical choice to me, so I don't think I'd need the Misha bailout.

Shizune is a no-brainer. I'm not at all big on the infidelity thing, and it was pretty freaking obvious what kind of "comfort" Misha was after. However, I would question my ability to make amends between the two friends. I'm not exactly a very good negotiator.

In the Hanako route, I'd be screwed for the same reason as the Hisao from my first playthrough. After Lilly leaves, if you don't take Hanako to the city, then you're screwed. Of course, if we assume that I wouldn't be arbitrarily forced to disagree with Lilly's advice, then I think I'd do fine. However, some important development occurs on that mini-date, so I'm not sure how things would change without it. If by some miracle I made it to the H-scene, I'd try to disarm it as tactfully as possible. I've never been on the whole "it was rape" boat, but Hisao's actions made me cringe regardless. At worst, I think I'd get the neutral ending.

Lilly is another easy one in theory, since it only requires honesty. I'm not really much into hiding things from people I care about, at least not the kind of matters that Hisao had to address. I think it would have occurred to me to ask her to stay instead of accepting her departure as an inevitability, as Hisao did. That way, maybe I'd avoid the whole suicidal run to the airport. Hisao's actions are what got Lilly to stay off the plane, but I think it was his words that made her decide to stay in Japan. I'd have said them sooner. :P

And Rin... well. I don't think I would have tried so hard to understand her, as Hisao did at first. Just accepting her would be easy enough. And considering her own feelings and desires, since making assumptions about them is part of what leads to the neutral ending. Asides from that, I'm not sure to be honest. I probably wouldn't try to push into a relationship as Hisao did, regardless of how I felt. In which case, we might just end up as friends in some good ending-esque scenario.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
GroundHOG2010

Post by GroundHOG2010 »

I would have gotten on to Emi's path, being a competitive person, but I think I would have an equal chance to get to the bad ending as the good ending. But I think I would have overthought things half way through and gotten the bad ending.

Its debatable whether I would have learned sign language to go out with Shizune, but if I had, I have a few rules when it comes down to relationships, and that would have gotten me the good ending.

Hanako I would like to believe that it would go exactly to the good ending, but that would require following the storyline, and I don't think I would have handled everything with her in quite so of a protective manner. I would have been more curious, and while I would say that I would be happy to talk whenever, I wouldn't protect her, or even said that. So the ending would have been a bit more different.

Lilly's, well, I might have gotten a bad ending with that. So long as every confession was more or less done like in the game (between two people), I think I would have done decently, and probably would have run after her, but knowing me, I would have been a bit more fit, and therefore might have gotten to her before almost dying. Hard to say.

Rin I would have no chance with, I can't really understand myself, and find it fustrating. I would have probably rather jumped off the roof than participate in an art class (one of the many things I like, art is, but something I will never be able to do well). So I would have never had gotten her.

And if there is a create your own option, I would have probably started up a science club in all of them.
I will post when I feel like I can post. I am just a little shy.