Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 am

So, in less than a week and a half, I will be interviewing NicolArmarfi, one of the composers for Katawa Shoujo.

If any of you have any questions that you would like to pose to him, let me know and I’ll add them to my list.

I’ll also post the video here once done – and if any of the other developers/contributors are willing to spend 10 or so minutes on Skype, PM me.

Niall
It's only a matter of time

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Loonie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:43 am

"What made KS stand out and motivate you to the point where you wanted to stick with it and compose the majority of its soundtrack?"

User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:03 am

Loonie wrote:"What made KS stand out and motivate you to the point where you wanted to stick with it and compose the majority of its soundtrack?"
That's a really good one actually. Hadn't crossed my mine at all. Will ask
It's only a matter of time

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by YZQ » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:23 am

"If you were not working full-time during the production phase, has involvement in the project affected (or influenced) your subsequent hunt for a full-time job?"

"If you were, would you get involved with another project of this scale again?"
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
FeroxAnima
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:54 pm
Location: Ba Sing Se

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by FeroxAnima » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:55 am

Awesome, definitely gonna look forward to watching this :)
I don't really have any questions atm, but if one does come up, I'll come back :P
"May the Force be ever in your favor."
Effie-Wan Trinoby

If you happen to have a spare copy of the Midwinter artbook for sale, I'd be grateful if you let me know :D

That one day was a good one.

User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 am

FeroxAnima wrote:Awesome, definitely gonna look forward to watching this :)
I don't really have any questions atm, but if one does come up, I'll come back :P
Please do.

I also intend to make it something to watch as well - while I won't spoil it - it won't just all be audio.
It's only a matter of time

Loonie
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between Europe and the Balkans.

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Loonie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 am

Niall Hamilton wrote:Please do.

I also intend to make it something to watch as well - while I won't spoil it - it won't just all be audio.
I can't wait. :)

User avatar
MegaMoto
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by MegaMoto » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am

Seeing as you made the game for free (THANK YOU) what did you do for money ? Where you out sleeping on park benches or something ? Most likely you had a day job but meh it's still worth asking.

User avatar
LorSquirrel
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 am
Location: Squirreltopia, Land of the sacred trees.
Contact:

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by LorSquirrel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

"Who is your favorite character in KS?"

User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:40 am

MegaMoto wrote:Seeing as you made the game for free (THANK YOU) what did you do for money ? Where you out sleeping on park benches or something ? Most likely you had a day job but meh it's still worth asking.

Probably he's a composer - although unlikely. Will do.

Also, I'll give a few examples that I have

-Inspirations
-How did you get involved with KS?
-How do you go about composing?
-Favorite track - Least favorite - anything you want to redo?
-Beta tracks - Parity/Painful History have at least two beta tracks before the final piece
-Would you work on a large game again
-Anyone you spoke to - how were you told to compose, a certain emotion - etc
-Favourite path/character

There are more indepth ones, but they are at home and I am at work. Deadline will be about Wednesday 14th, as I'll be putting them into a .pdf and forwarding them to him so he can read over them and have some responds or so when we talk

Niall
It's only a matter of time

User avatar
Weird Heather
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 am

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Weird Heather » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Here are two general questions that are of interest to me.

What are some of the influences behind your compositions (i.e. composers, particular musical traditions, movies or other media in which music interacts with text and images)?

I am also curious about how the music, text, and images work together. Did you compose any of the music with specific scenes in mind? Or were you composing for particular moods? Or both? Can you point to a specific scene in which you think all of the elements - the music, the text, and the images - are working particularly well together? Finally, how did you and the other developers match the music to the scenes? Was there a lot of debate over the choices?
Jedoisallerfairequelquechose!

User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:49 am

Weird Heather wrote:Here are two general questions that are of interest to me.

What are some of the influences behind your compositions (i.e. composers, particular musical traditions, movies or other media in which music interacts with text and images)?

I am also curious about how the music, text, and images work together. Did you compose any of the music with specific scenes in mind? Or were you composing for particular moods? Or both? Can you point to a specific scene in which you think all of the elements - the music, the text, and the images - are working particularly well together? Finally, how did you and the other developers match the music to the scenes? Was there a lot of debate over the choices?
Nice, the debating one is one that I had thought of. So, basically, ask him how they match the music to the scene
It's only a matter of time

User avatar
Merlyn_LeRoy
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:41 pm

"Why doesn't the box of sound have the full version of Romance in Andante?"

(Which is here, by the way).

User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:"Why doesn't the box of sound have the full version of Romance in Andante?"

(Which is here, by the way).
Your amazing! Thanks, I didn't even know that this existed, but that would be really interesting to ask him.
It's only a matter of time

User avatar
Niall Hamilton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am
Location: London

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:45 am

I have the audio and I've synced it, amplified and compressed it.

However, if we take as every one minute of a video takes 30 minutes to produce, the 24 minutes of audio will take 12 hours to make.

I'm going to upload the audio, with a download to Soundcloud. As a favor, if you guys hear anything wrong with the audio, let me know.

Also, there's a little extra I'll save for the video.

Will post the link to the audio when up
It's only a matter of time

Post Reply