This game is great!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dewelar

Re: This game is great!

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:
Atario wrote:
Potato wrote:I'd say go with Rin if you like roller coasters. Shizune if you have a mind for ambiguity and frustration. Lilly's if you like blondes, I guess.
That's interesting — I would have said Lilly for roller coasters, Rin for ambiguity and frustration, and Shizune for repeat-read richness.
So many people say this... to me, Rin clearly has a hard time putting together her words properly, but I generally understand what she is saying, and if anything, her unconventional phrasing is more compelling than it is frustrating. There have been a number of times Hisao says something along the lines of, "What is she saying, is there even a point?" and I'm just sitting there like, "Seriously dude, you don't get what she's trying to say?".
*nods* I've always felt that a decent percentage of the people who say they don't like Rin are reacting to Hisao's view of Rin as opposed to Rin herself. Focus just on Rin and it's a whole different ballgame.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:So many people say this... to me, Rin clearly has a hard time putting together her words properly, but I generally understand what she is saying, and if anything, her unconventional phrasing is more compelling than it is frustrating.
It's not the phrasing that's the problem for me. It's more the tendency to react to anything and everything with a shrug and a distracted look aside. Which comes across as though she just doesn't care about much of anything. Makes it hard to connect emotionally. But it is apparently much easier for people who are themselves like Rin.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Atario wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:So many people say this... to me, Rin clearly has a hard time putting together her words properly, but I generally understand what she is saying, and if anything, her unconventional phrasing is more compelling than it is frustrating.
It's not the phrasing that's the problem for me. It's more the tendency to react to anything and everything with a shrug and a distracted look aside. Which comes across as though she just doesn't care about much of anything. Makes it hard to connect emotionally. But it is apparently much easier for people who are themselves like Rin.
Thats basically how i react to everything in real life aswell. Not sure why..

On a side, I also find Rin moderatly easy to understand what she is attempting to say, even though she has issue doing so, and once you get past that initial barrier, you do see that she does actually care, just dosen't know how to show it.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Potato

Post by Potato »

Atario wrote:
Potato wrote:I'd say go with Rin if you like roller coasters. Shizune if you have a mind for ambiguity and frustration. Lilly's if you like blondes, I guess.
That's interesting — I would have said Lilly for roller coasters, Rin for ambiguity and frustration, and Shizune for repeat-read richness.
Well, Rin kinda went from okay to dull to fun to mellow to OH GOD THE SADNESS to pretty great again. Hence roller coaster. :lol: And everyone who hates Shizune's route generally does so due to completely missing the point because it's not fed right to them, so...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:everyone who hates Shizune's route generally does so due to completely missing the point because it's not fed right to them, so...
I think most of it is the lack of closure. There's no they lived happily after for at least a significant amount of time if not forever ending — it's more of a hey, things are pretty ok now and with any luck they'll keep being ok at least briefly ending. That, and the large spans of time Hisao and Shizune go with hardly any contact despite being avowedly paired. That said, I never hated it. It's just more of a mild flavor than the others. Which is perfectly valid. And like other mild-tasting things, it gets easier to appreciate with repeated exposure.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Atario wrote:
Potato wrote:everyone who hates Shizune's route generally does so due to completely missing the point because it's not fed right to them, so...
I think most of it is the lack of closure. There's no they lived happily after for at least a significant amount of time if not forever ending — it's more of a hey, things are pretty ok now and with any luck they'll keep being ok at least briefly ending. That, and the large spans of time Hisao and Shizune go with hardly any contact despite being avowedly paired. That said, I never hated it. It's just more of a mild flavor than the others. Which is perfectly valid. And like other mild-tasting things, it gets easier to appreciate with repeated exposure.
That's every ending though. "Things are good for now and, with luck, will stay that way."

Hanako's ends with basically the very beginning of an official relationship, Rin's with "we're okay with each other and maybe dating?", Emi's with "We've reached an understanding about this one issue, hooray!"...Really, the closest to happily-ever-after is Lilly's and even then it's basically a matter of luck. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Except that in Shizune's ending the three of them are all going their separate ways, and Hisao has to talk himself into thinking they'll even see one another again. Not quite the same thing…

Potato

Post by Potato »

Atario wrote:Except that in Shizune's ending the three of them are all going their separate ways, and Hisao has to talk himself into thinking they'll even see one another again. Not quite the same thing…
Actually, if anything, that's as close to a guaranteed happy ever after as you can get. They're parting on good terms, each with a clear course for the future and intent to cross paths again. Barring somebody dying or moving out of the country (and even in the death case, the remaining two would probably reunite for a time), said intent is likely to be fulfilled. As opposed to [insert any given romantic relationship] which can potentially be derailed by a far greater number of possibilities in general.
Atario

Post by Atario »

If I'm reading you right, you're defining being in an active romantic relationship as inherently less happy than being apart, and that makes me a sad panda.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Atario wrote:If I'm reading you right, you're defining being in an active romantic relationship as inherently less happy than being apart, and that makes me a sad panda.
Well, luckily, you're reading me wrong. But you should continue to be a sad panda because they're cute. :P