Is KS fandom dying?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

hereforawhile1

Re: Is KS fandom dying?

Post by hereforawhile1 »

Seeker91 wrote:
hereforawhile1 wrote:
Aura wrote:What does it mean when a fandom dies? How does a fandom not die, what keeps it alive?

We never wanted to foster a fandom (we never expected one to emerge and didn't need one), so places connected to us, like these forums and our public IRC channel haven't been especially fertile ground for one to grow up. Still, we (well, some of us) have tried to at the very least make ourselves available to you guys, even if we aren't proactive in the interactions with the fandom. There should, I hope, be a very low bar to contact us for whatever, and there are lots of ways to do so from Ask! thread to PMs to email to coming to our IRC and so on. I think that's the level of involvement we're comfortable with.

But should we do something about the issues, if there are any concretely identifiable ones? We aren't likely to try to invigorate the fandom ourselves with the most obvious ways, that's just not something we want to do. It might be that none of us really reads these forums, but I recognize the fandom, and these forums, are valuable to a lot of people.
the only way to revitalize the dying fandom would be to make a sequel, which obviously isnt going to happen, or a new project with ambition for these fans to move to. so if neither of these happen, sad but true, the fandom will die slower and slower. im going to guess by next year unless something big is announced the forums will be all but dead if not sooner.
I don't think it's that simple. There are many people who have not played the game and yet we see new people are introduced to it and the forum. Some have not played it because it is not in their native language, and the translation projects practically have just started to release their versions, so expect even more new blood. Lastly, there is the section of the fan works that gets updates often from old and new members alike, which is quite a nice board to browse into both for the fans to express themselves and purely for fun. As xanatos quoted we are just in a bit of a slump, which is reasonable compared to the hype of the release.
hmm yeah guess i didn't really take in to account that its still a fairly new game. by "dead" i don't necessarily mean no one posts, but there is only occasionally new posters, and when the influx of new posters stops that's a bad sign. concerning translations that probably wont have any effect to us because we speak english. still though, with slim chances of new content or a new game, that alone is a depressing environment for a forum for a game that is played solely for the story. there's no point in speculation for sequels or what's going to happen next for any of the characters because their stories are over. fan fiction + art are all great but fans can only do so much on their own with all the licensing issues. so no fan games expanding on anything and no planned sequels = bad situation.
forum lurker since 2010
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

hereforawhile1 wrote:[words]
No planned sequels but potentially planned new work...

Fan fiction is essentially a fan game minus the playability.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
hereforawhile1

Post by hereforawhile1 »

Xanatos wrote:
hereforawhile1 wrote:[words]
No planned sequels but potentially planned new work...

Fan fiction is essentially a fan game minus the playability.
guess we'll just have to wait and see. thanks for the replies.
forum lurker since 2010
Zatchara

Post by Zatchara »

Obviously the fanbase won't be as big as was witnessed at the peak of any medium, but that's life. But as long as there's one fan, it will never really die. I'm a new fan and if I'm just getting into it, other people must be, even if there are only a few at a time.

Has the ship sailed on making comments like this or?
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Zatchara wrote:Obviously the fanbase won't be as big as was witnessed at the peak of any medium, but that's life. But as long as there's one fan, it will never really die. I'm a new fan and if I'm just getting into it, other people must be, even if there are only a few at a time.

There is no ship. Welcome. :D
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Zatchara wrote:Obviously the fanbase won't be as big as was witnessed at the peak of any medium, but that's life. But as long as there's one fan, it will never really die. I'm a new fan and if I'm just getting into it, other people must be, even if there are only a few at a time.

Heck no. Thats the sort of thing that keeps this board fun. So please, share your thoughts.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

The worst part of having KS completed is lack of an item to put on a shelf, like a DVD-box or poster, or anything. I will never ever forget KS, like I will never forget some other things in my life, but it's nice to have something as a piece of a precious memory. I am probably gonna spend some time thinking what I can do to materialize something of KS, like Misha's shirt print or hand-crafted plate with one serving of lemon curry.

And bout the part of expanding KS fandom, I failed. I managed to make two or three people start KS, although no one ever spoke about it again. And I managed to recruit 0 bros to Emi-run with me - both IRL and on the internet. I suck as a fan.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

wazuzu wrote:The worst part of having KS completed is lack of an item to put on a shelf, like a DVD-box or poster, or anything. I will never ever forget KS, like I will never forget some other things in my life, but it's nice to have something as a piece of a precious memory. I am probably gonna spend some time thinking what I can do to materialize something of KS, like Misha's shirt print or hand-crafted plate with one serving of lemon curry.

And bout the part of expanding KS fandom, I failed. I managed to make two or three people start KS, although no one ever spoke about it again. And I managed to recruit 0 bros to Emi-run with me - both IRL and on the internet. I suck as a fan.
You can't catch um all. KS isn't for everyone but you could ask some of the people who tried it and what they thought. If that doesn't work bribe them with Kenji's pizza. :lol:
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Hey, I wasn't just offering Katawa to everyone on the street. I thought those people could empathize.
And catching anytning is fine, but when you catch literally nothing, it can become quite awkward.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hey, I wasn't just offering Katawa to everyone on the street.
Well, there's your next step.
Not Dead Yet
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Oddball wrote:
No, that's the red tile. I skip red tiles, I only step on white ones.
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

Oddball wrote:
Hallelujah, brothers and sisters!
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

I'd say wahahujah, but it sounds obscene in my native language, so I will say it anyway

WAHAHUJAH!
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

wazuzu wrote:I'd say wahahujah, but it sounds obscene in my native language, so I will say it anyway

WAHAHUJAH!
I....really want to know what it means in your language :mrgreen:

Anyways, I got my friend to get this game as well but he says he doesn't have that much time to play it...GAH
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Firewind wrote:
wazuzu wrote:I'd say wahahujah, but it sounds obscene in my native language, so I will say it anyway

WAHAHUJAH!
I....really want to know what it means in your language :mrgreen:

Anyways, I got my friend to get this game as well but he says he doesn't have that much time to play it...GAH
I know your pain.