Is KS fandom dying?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Is KS fandom dying?

Post by pandaphil »

Just wanted to ask what everyone thought. I know on the various Facebook pages there's talk of this, as admins run out of new material to post. And even here off topic discussion and jokey threads seem to be to order of the day. So it sure seems like it to me. Which is depressing. I've only been a part of the community for about six months, and I still love it dearly.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Steinherz

Re: Is KS fandom dying?

Post by Steinherz »

Yes and no.
Yes in the fact that certain FB pages are decaying/lacking new content to post (which is because KS is a one-off thing. No sequels/prequels/spin-offs, which is good damn it).
No because like most fandoms it goes through periods of growth and contraction. Right now it seems to be in a contraction.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pretty much what Steinherz said. There's only so many times people can rehash the same stuff so topic drift and dying pages are inevitable until new blood comes along. Hell, I've been trying to think up a new topic for this place and it's all either done before or isn't enough to warrant a thread.

I doubt the community's going to die any time soon though. We just need some new blood to kickstart growth...Though the subject matter of KS makes recruiting that new blood all the more difficult.
Last edited by Xanatos on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

I personally don't think so. The FB pages may be dying off, but the forums seem as active as they always are. Whether or not they're off topic seems somewhat irrelevant to me, considering the forum they're on in the first place.
Steinherz wrote:Yes and no.
Yes in the fact that certain FB pages are decaying/lacking new content to post (which is because KS is a one-off thing. No sequels/prequels/spin-offs, which is good damn it).
No because like most fandoms it goes through periods of growth and contraction. Right now it seems to be in a contraction.
I also think this is a good point, even if it kinda contradicts what I'm saying :P
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

I see new people joining the forums every day. Perhaps KS has run it's course in the outer circle and will become a cult thing with die hard fans always visiting the forums. To put it simply KS will always have fans who will to talk with each other for a long time yet besides I'm sure 4 Leaf will have a new VN eventually that we can talk about. I know I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. This is the first forums I've ever stayed on for more then a week. Be nice to have some new good fanfiction though.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

MegaMoto wrote:Be nice to have some new good fanfiction though.
I'm writing some but I can't promise "good" on account of my preferences for screwing with established characterizations. :lol: And I don't see new people every day.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Xanatos wrote:
I'm writing some but I can't promise "good" on account of my preferences for screwing with established characterizations. :lol: And I don't see new people every day.
I was kinda being general I've seen a couple new people without to long a period in between.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

MegaMoto wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
I was kinda being general I've seen a couple new people without to long a period in between.
I'm sorry, I'm kind of slow at writing at times :lol:
That or I'll write a fuckton of stuff... then hit a massive writer's block for several months XD
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
mateh1

Post by mateh1 »

hmm..
even though I don't post anything these days, I'm still monitoring this forum..
waiting for a miracle to happen.. :lol:
Can you face your fears?
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

mateh1 wrote:hmm..
What miracle is that? :lol:
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Xanatos wrote:
The miracle of child birth.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

I'm honestly not sure.

Gonna steal horribly here...but if I've learned anything from a decade of being part of online communities of all kinds, the rule I've learned for them is most definitely: They can either die a hero (very rarely) or more often than not they just live long enough to become the villain.

The #1 way how they become the villain is either through shit moderation or a membership that is too expansive to be effectively moderated. You can hire a small army of moderators for the latter case, but the bottom line is that once an online community reaches a certain critical mass it turns extremely populistic at best or toxic at worst. And the #1 way how they remain a hero for the longest times that I can recall is through solid moderation and a small, but regular, member base.

So maybe the KS community is dying. But even if it is, it'd still be well onto dying as a hero. And ultimately every once in awhile I see a name pop up around here that I don't remember from a few months back. So I don't think it's nearly all that bad, even if it does slowly go out on places like facebook.

Because people still find this place and KS through the strangest of ways every day. So long as that keeps happening, I think this fandom won't ever truly 'die out.'
mateh1

Post by mateh1 »

Xanatos wrote:
any miracle that could happen in a forum.. I think? :?
Can you face your fears?
Telnaior

Post by Telnaior »

I don't think it's possible for it to really die.
Heck, I've seen fandoms like Daria last for over a decade since the original show ended, simply through endless fanfiction. It's quite amazing how they do it. And of course, there's always the newblood bringing in fresh air.
Completion: Emi-Shizune-Lilly-Shizune(again)-Hanako-Rin
Enjoyability: Shizune>>Lilly>Hanako>Rin>>Emi
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

pandaphil wrote:Just wanted to ask what everyone thought. I know on the various Facebook pages there's talk of this, as admins run out of new material to post. And even here off topic discussion and jokey threads seem to be to order of the day. So it sure seems like it to me. Which is depressing. I've only been a part of the community for about six months, and I still love it dearly.
Honestly, all the off topic and jokey stuff kinda drives me away from posting her as much as I used to.

It's hard to get any kind of discussion actually going if two posts into a topic somebody decides to highjack it with bad jokes.
Not Dead Yet