Is KS fandom dying?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sedinus

Re: Is KS fandom dying?

Post by Sedinus »

Firewind wrote:
wazuzu wrote:I'd say wahahujah, but it sounds obscene in my native language, so I will say it anyway

WAHAHUJAH!
I....really want to know what it means in your language :mrgreen:
I'm fairly certain me and him share our native language, so let me enlighten you on that one.

The part in bold could be a bit problematic, because it means dick. And that's it.
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

Sedinus wrote:
I'm fairly certain me and him share our native language, so let me enlighten you on that one.

The part in bold could be a bit problematic, because it means dick. And that's it.
Oooh..the more you know.
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Pretty much yes, it means waha of dick. Or wahadickah.
Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Reyhan on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emi Shizune Lilly Rin Hanako

tumblr
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

wazuzu wrote:Hey, I wasn't just offering Katawa to everyone on the street. I thought those people could empathize.
Yeah, I had the same problem. I was totally expecting to be able to gush/commiserate with a close friend or two of mine, but KS just didn't reach into their hearts and heads like it did to me. Makes me glad for the fandom that is here, so I didn't get that ForeverAlone feeling.

As for an Emi-run partner, I've been thinking about how I need to take another stab at her Couch to 4k program. Exercise is supposed to be good for helping deal with depression, and since today I'm going to be seeing the Real Life "Emi" who broke my heart while she's in town visiting, this may be an ideal time for me to start running again...
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
marian11

Post by marian11 »

The fandom will never die.Katawa Shoujo is a once in a lifetime experience that will be forever carved into our hearts.

Sorry if that sounded too overreacted. :D
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

That's not overreacting. Sheer amount of feels brought upon me by Katawa was uncomparable with most stuff I ever experienced in my life. Quoting Emi, "Better, than sex, right?", except that it definitely loses to sex. For a piece of art, that's extremely remarkable.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Thankfully I managed to sell the game on several of my online friends, who also enjoyed it immensely. I guess its just a matter of selling it to people who have similar tastes to you.
marian11 wrote:The fandom will never die.Katawa Shoujo is a once in a lifetime experience that will be forever carved into our hearts.

Sorry if that sounded too overreacted. :D

Nah, you're fine. Although I'm not as obsessive about it as I was a few months ago, Hanako, Lilly, and the others are always going to have a warm place in my heart as characters whom I've loved.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
EyesOfLilly

Post by EyesOfLilly »

To be honest it all depends on the fans and if they even come on the forums anymore... like personally this is the first time I've visited the forums in a year I just completely forgot this exsisted until today when I decided to search up Lilly stuff and came across this site again haha..
Fave Girls: Lilly >Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
Fave Misc. Characters: Akira>Miki>Yuuko>Misha>Nurse>Kenji>Nomiya>Hideaki>Jigoro
Fave Paths: Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Rin > Shizune
Seeker91

Post by Seeker91 »

Firewind wrote:
wazuzu wrote:I'd say wahahujah, but it sounds obscene in my native language, so I will say it anyway

WAHAHUJAH!
I....really want to know what it means in your language :mrgreen:

Anyways, I got my friend to get this game as well but he says he doesn't have that much time to play it...GAH
Same here, I suggested it to a buddy of mine and told him to check out the blog and forums too to get an idea of how the project started, but he's busy with university now. Welp, when he's done I'll pester him until he starts it. :mrgreen:
"The things that I want", by Hanako Ikezawa. A chocolate bar. A cup of tea. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My parents and skin back. Unlimited chess pieces and a license to skip turns. Right then, more than anything, I wanted him.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

I can only speak for myself, as a newcomer to both the game and these boards, but I do have some observations.

I have been pretty much burning to talk about this game since starting to play it. I've dipped into a couple threads, testing the waters, without anyone replying to my posts. Looking around these boards, it's very...daunting. Right or wrong, there's a sense of both "we all know each other", and also "all this stuff has been discussed before". These are not easy barriers to climb for someone like myself, to whom this is all new and wondrous.

I don't mean this as criticism, just as observation. I understand this happens on almost every discussion board. This is a game that's been out for quite a while, and was in development for a long time before that. What it does mean, though, is that as new fans are born, they are going to find it more and more difficult to feel like they can become part of the community. It's human nature, but it isn't inevitable, especially for a game like this that is going to attract new fans on a regular basis due to both its unique nature and its quality.

Sorry, don't mean to preach. I've just been down this road before, where I tried to wedge myself into an existing community and got chewed up and spat out. Given the subject matter, a community devoted to KS would be particularly sensitive to such things.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

dewelar wrote:I can only speak for myself, as a newcomer to both the game and these boards, but I do have some observations.

I have been pretty much burning to talk about this game since starting to play it. I've dipped into a couple threads, testing the waters, without anyone replying to my posts. Looking around these boards, it's very...daunting. Right or wrong, there's a sense of both "we all know each other", and also "all this stuff has been discussed before". These are not easy barriers to climb for someone like myself, to whom this is all new and wondrous.

I don't mean this as criticism, just as observation. I understand this happens on almost every discussion board. This is a game that's been out for quite a while, and was in development for a long time before that. What it does mean, though, is that as new fans are born, they are going to find it more and more difficult to feel like they can become part of the community. It's human nature, but it isn't inevitable, especially for a game like this that is going to attract new fans on a regular basis due to both its unique nature and its quality.

Sorry, don't mean to preach. I've just been down this road before, where I tried to wedge myself into an existing community and got chewed up and spat out. Given the subject matter, a community devoted to KS would be particularly sensitive to such things.
You want to talk about something? Start talking. Other people will join in. Sometimes. Other times they won't. There's no guarantees either way.

It looks like you've posted three times. With this message here, I have replied to one third of all your posts.
Not Dead Yet
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Oddball wrote:You want to talk about something? Start talking. Other people will join in. Sometimes. Other times they won't. There's no guarantees either way.
I know this. I'm using my example to illustrate the difficulty of doing just that for someone coming in cold, which I thought was pertinent to the question asked in the thread topic. The reason why I'm having difficulty doing what you suggest was contained within my post, which I presume you read. This suggestion is unhelpful to that end.
It looks like you've posted three times. With this message here, I have replied to one third of all your posts.
ETR: Unnecessarily snarky response.

ETA: And actually, your answer is kind of illustrative of both my perspective and the reason why the thread question needs to even be asked.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

dewelar wrote:
Oddball wrote:You want to talk about something? Start talking. Other people will join in. Sometimes. Other times they won't. There's no guarantees either way.
I know this. I'm using my example to illustrate the difficulty of doing just that for someone coming in cold, which I thought was pertinent to the question asked in the thread topic. The reason why I'm having difficulty doing what you suggest was contained within my post, which I presume you read. This suggestion is unhelpful to that end.
ETR: Unnecessarily snarky response.

ETA: And actually, your answer is kind of illustrative of both my perspective and the reason why the thread question needs to even be asked.
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything (at least no more than I usually am.) This is just the way it is here. There's no real introduction thread, no welcoming party for the new guys, no grace period. You're expected to jump right in and either sink or swim.

You might not get noticed right away. People might not pay any attention to you unless you say or do something interesting to EARN that attention. Don't whine because you posted twice and nobody paid attention. For the most part, people here and pretty friendly and accepting, but nobody should join a new group and expect to be the center of attention right away.
Not Dead Yet
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

First off, thanks very much for engaging me. It shows that I was right to feel like I could, as you put it, "jump right in" here. It wasn't an easy decision.
Oddball wrote:I'm not trying to be snarky or anything (at least no more than I usually am.)
I meant I removed my snarky response. "ETR" - "edited to remove", flipside of "ETA".
This is just the way it is here. There's no real introduction thread, no welcoming party for the new guys, no grace period. You're expected to jump right in and either sink or swim.

You might not get noticed right away. People might not pay any attention to you unless you say or do something interesting to EARN that attention. Don't whine because you posted twice and nobody paid attention. For the most part, people here and pretty friendly and accepting, but nobody should join a new group and expect to be the center of attention right away.
*headdesk* Yes. Granted. Didn't mean to sound whiny. Just stating facts. Trust me, if I wasn't trying to swim, this thread would be one I'd have avoided like the plague.

I just thought it might be helpful to point out that the barriers to newbies, of which you are obviously aware, are likely to at least in part make it appear that the fandom is "dying" when it probably isn't -- at least not yet -- but rather is moving toward being a bit of a walled garden, with new fans being intimidated to join a discussion and thereby potentially feeling shut out. Trying to decide whether that's appropriate given the subject of the forum.

Short version: There are always going to be people who are discovering the beauty of this game for the first time. The way I see it, it's in the very spirit of the game itself to welcome those people when they seem lost. Who's the class rep in this place, anyway?