Is KS fandom dying?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: Is KS fandom dying?

Post by pandaphil »

Yeah, these days I'm not so much interested in replaying the game as I am speculating on what the future holds for the characters. And I agree the most fun is welcoming new members. It's fun reading their thoughts, and letting them know they're not weird for feeling all those crazy feels. Brings back fond memories of my early days here.
Last edited by pandaphil on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Earl_of_Grey

Post by Earl_of_Grey »

The public discussion section is not the only section of this forum. The fanfiction section gets new threads and replies all the time.
Exactly right. The fandom isn't so much dying as moving on.
Within that first year when many of us were enjoying KS for the first time, the forums were a place for anyone who had finished an arc and needed to know they weren't crazy for feeling the feels they did to come. There were a lot of people at once all needing someone to share with, to reflect on the established story they had just gone through.

Now though, new readers aren't so common, and much of this fanbase has found peace with the feels that were stirred up, hence why the growth moves from discussing the stories in the Public Discussion boards, to creating new ones in the fanfiction section to create and explore new avenues for what we learned.

Also, on a more personal note, I've become less obsessed with finding where every arc went and experiencing it all. Now that I've found peace, these forums are less a place to pour out my aching heart for some urgent relief, and more just a place to check in and discuss a story I enjoyed.
Draganada

Post by Draganada »

I agree about the fanfiction section. We've still new projects starting all the time, most substantially, the pseudo-routes. One possibility for a 'revival' might be that some big youtube guy starts playing through it and their subscribers get the game. That was how I and a fair amount of others were introduced.

Or maybe something like a mod or other fanmade addition to the actual game? The Japanese translation is also fairly big news and we know for sure that that's coming.
Rika > Lilly > Hanako > Akira > Shizune/Misha > Emi/Rin

"And they seem to jam "z"s in everywhere so that they can get more Scrabble points."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Draganada wrote:Or maybe something like a mod or other fanmade addition to the actual game?
That would be a violation of the license...Though I'm sure there are those out there who don't pay much if any mind to that.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Merloficus

Post by Merloficus »

pandaphil wrote: Its fun reading their thoughts, and wondering if they're weird and feeling all these crazy feels. Brings back fond memories of my early days here.
Who're you calling weird Panda!? ;p
Draganada

Post by Draganada »

Xanatos wrote:
Draganada wrote:Or maybe something like a mod or other fanmade addition to the actual game?
That would be a violation of the license...Though I'm sure there are those out there who don't pay much if any mind to that.
Aw, really? My dreams of a Rika-route mod will never come true. :(
Rika > Lilly > Hanako > Akira > Shizune/Misha > Emi/Rin

"And they seem to jam "z"s in everywhere so that they can get more Scrabble points."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Merloficus wrote:
pandaphil wrote: Its fun reading their thoughts, and wondering if they're weird and feeling all these crazy feels. Brings back fond memories of my early days here.
Who're you calling weird Panda!? ;p

Sorry, just another of my famous typos. It was supposed to refer to them wondering if they're weird.

Jeez, you'd think I'd know how to write english by now.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Seeker91

Post by Seeker91 »

And now we have a new translation release...
The fandom doesn't seem too bad does it?
"The things that I want", by Hanako Ikezawa. A chocolate bar. A cup of tea. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My parents and skin back. Unlimited chess pieces and a license to skip turns. Right then, more than anything, I wanted him.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Seeker91 wrote:And now we have a new translation release...

Guess not. Things seemed to have picked up nicely this week. I guess we were just in a slump or something.
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

pandaphil wrote:

Guess not. Things seemed to have picked up nicely this week. I guess we were just in a slump or something.

Tell me about it...
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:

Like [guy whose name I forgot] said, slumps happen but it's hardly death. I actually threw the link to this place at Facebook just before the new blood started in. I wonder how much of that is coincidence. XD
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

What does it mean when a fandom dies? How does a fandom not die, what keeps it alive?

We never wanted to foster a fandom (we never expected one to emerge and didn't need one), so places connected to us, like these forums and our public IRC channel haven't been especially fertile ground for one to grow up. Still, we (well, some of us) have tried to at the very least make ourselves available to you guys, even if we aren't proactive in the interactions with the fandom. There should, I hope, be a very low bar to contact us for whatever, and there are lots of ways to do so from Ask! thread to PMs to email to coming to our IRC and so on. I think that's the level of involvement we're comfortable with.

But should we do something about the issues, if there are any concretely identifiable ones? We aren't likely to try to invigorate the fandom ourselves with the most obvious ways, that's just not something we want to do. It might be that none of us really reads these forums, but I recognize the fandom, and these forums, are valuable to a lot of people.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
hereforawhile1

Post by hereforawhile1 »

Aura wrote:What does it mean when a fandom dies? How does a fandom not die, what keeps it alive?

We never wanted to foster a fandom (we never expected one to emerge and didn't need one), so places connected to us, like these forums and our public IRC channel haven't been especially fertile ground for one to grow up. Still, we (well, some of us) have tried to at the very least make ourselves available to you guys, even if we aren't proactive in the interactions with the fandom. There should, I hope, be a very low bar to contact us for whatever, and there are lots of ways to do so from Ask! thread to PMs to email to coming to our IRC and so on. I think that's the level of involvement we're comfortable with.

But should we do something about the issues, if there are any concretely identifiable ones? We aren't likely to try to invigorate the fandom ourselves with the most obvious ways, that's just not something we want to do. It might be that none of us really reads these forums, but I recognize the fandom, and these forums, are valuable to a lot of people.
the only way to revitalize the dying fandom would be to make a sequel, which obviously isnt going to happen, or a new project with ambition for these fans to move to. so if neither of these happen, sad but true, the fandom will die slower and slower. im going to guess by next year unless something big is announced the forums will be all but dead if not sooner.
forum lurker since 2010
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

hereforawhile1 wrote:
Aura wrote:What does it mean when a fandom dies? How does a fandom not die, what keeps it alive?

the only way to revitalize the dying fandom would be to make a sequel, which obviously isnt going to happen, or a new project with ambition for these fans to move to. so if neither of these happen, sad but true, the fandom will die slower and slower. im going to guess by next year unless something big is announced the forums will be all but dead if not sooner.
I don't think so.
Seeker91

Post by Seeker91 »

hereforawhile1 wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. There are many people who have not played the game and yet we see new people are introduced to it and the forum. Some have not played it because it is not in their native language, and the translation projects practically have just started to release their versions, so expect even more new blood. Lastly, there is the section of the fan works that gets updates often from old and new members alike, which is quite a nice board to browse into both for the fans to express themselves and purely for fun. As xanatos quoted we are just in a bit of a slump, which is reasonable compared to the hype of the release.
"The things that I want", by Hanako Ikezawa. A chocolate bar. A cup of tea. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My parents and skin back. Unlimited chess pieces and a license to skip turns. Right then, more than anything, I wanted him.