So i was on Kickstarter and found this

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sam

So i was on Kickstarter and found this

Post by Sam »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/758 ... l?ref=live

In the video he says that Katawa Shoujo inspired him also interesting to note that the last reward tier he will give you his katawa shoujo sweatshirt
metalangel

Re: So i was on Kickstarter and found this

Post by metalangel »

Interesting that it's on Martha's Vineyard, which is a special place in the history of the American Deaf community (for two centuries, Deafness was very common and virtually everyone on the island knew sign language). Does that have any bearing on the story?
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

It could be interesting. But its always hard to tell this early in develoment. KS didn't look like much in its early days either.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
mateh1

Post by mateh1 »

Sam wrote:the last reward tier he will give you his katawa shoujo sweatshirt
how did he get that sweatshirt? I didn't know KS have official goods :shock:
anyway, I'm looking forward to it.. it seems interesting, and there seems to be a fellow from my country too, and that's rare.. :lol:
I wonder how it'll be.. :?
Can you face your fears?
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

mateh1 wrote:I didn't know KS have official goods :shock:
They don't...So sayeth the FAQ.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Yeah, that sounds a little suspicious.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Hohoho man, this popped up on the /ksg/ a fair while back and stirred up a bit of controversy, mostly for DAT GUN and howshamelessly it rips off Katawa Shoujo. I wonder how it will go.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

I read through the updates. The offer of clothing was a joke. He had to make that explicit when someone actually pledged $750.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Even if it was his primary inspiration, why start with a premise that is incredibly much-so like KS? Drawing upon its nostalgia is the only reason I could come up with (seriously - you have all the options in the world for a unique beginning, even within the high school romance setting, and you pick the exact same one almost to a tee?) That plus this being the 'team leaders' attempt to, what in his own words reads to me as, get a foot in the door towards something bigger has me quite worried. Apart from that the VN has been in development for a year up till now and they expect a full-release in early 2014, possibly in January or February with a core team that is half the size of 4LS? Color me skeptical.

Still...it'll be an interesting social experiment to say the least. Hopefully, and in spite of my skepticism, it also turns out to be a good VN at the most.
Umbra
Location: i have tasted the maggots of the mind of the universe

Post by Umbra »

Well, I've sort of looked into this, and for me it looks... unprofessional. (which is expectable as the one person who is behind most of the development is a 18 year old guy.)

I've tried the demo, and so far, it does seem a lot like KS, and much more cliched too.

I guess the problem - and what, compared to the project, KS had - is a significant lack of constructive criticism and a lack of maturity.

Addressing the first one - the developer seems to have some talent and a lot of dedication; what he would need is an 'outside perspective', people who would help him look into the project differently, thus make it more interesting.

And the second point - I think that the power of KS comes from the fact that the fable is written by people who have already gotten through their HS (and even college) years and could 'look back' at things with a mature flavour. It is no wonder that they think the 'high school drama' stories are completely drawn out, because, frankly, they are. High school certainly isn't the most interesting part of your life. It is overromanticised by the (usually) lonely and detached people that read VNs. In fact, high school is mostly about hormones and trying to act independent. Our worldview is really narrow at that time.

tl;dr a good project needs lot of criticism and (in case of writing a VN) life experience, both of which Driftwood lacks.
(not me, but this is sweet)

I like music. If you like music too, and have similar tastes, you might want to add me on last.fm.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Loonie wrote:Even if it was his primary inspiration, why start with a premise that is incredibly much-so like KS? Drawing upon its nostalgia is the only reason I could come up with (seriously - you have all the options in the world for a unique beginning, even within the high school romance setting, and you pick the exact same one almost to a tee?)
He's 18. he doesn't have his own original ideas yet.

The whole thing feels like a pretty shameless copy though.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Can't say it's a shameless copy until it actually copies everything but...Eh. No interest.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Umbra wrote: And the second point - I think that the power of KS comes from the fact that the fable is written by people who have already gotten through their HS (and even college) years and could 'look back' at things with a mature flavour. It is no wonder that they think the 'high school drama' stories are completely drawn out, because, frankly, they are. High school certainly isn't the most interesting part of your life. It is overromanticised by the (usually) lonely and detached people that read VNs. In fact, high school is mostly about hormones and trying to act independent. Our worldview is really narrow at that time.
I agree. I wonder if Marcus Fuck is going be a colossal Mary Sue.

Even with the benefit of 4LS' hindsight, there were still a few moments where we shouted at the conspicuously blank-slate that was Hisao for being a total dimwit. I worry that a younger and less experienced writer(s) won't have the experience to provide a believable story or sympathetic protagonist.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

metalangel wrote:
Umbra wrote:I wonder if Marcus Fuck is going be a colossal Mary Sue.
Probably. Many if not most VN protags are.
rockin robin

Post by rockin robin »

why this was my first, and highly likely, only vn ill ever like
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13